I've tried this with whisky too - put blended Bells into a decanter - tell someone it is aged single malt and listen to the comments flood in.

"Chalk and Cheese" hmmm...

Sometimes people believe what they want to believe - it is just sad that so many want to believe that BlackBerry are no good.
    Volunteer.
    11-19-12 12:42 PM
    Now that's called, hating by brand. No matter how good the device, fails because people close minded just go and shut it out of their head. God, how people can be.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    Yep it sucks but that is how branding can work. This is what make the few notable turnarounds such as Apple so amazing.
    11-19-12 12:59 PM
    I have been delaying a purchase for a while, so I can get a BB10 when the come out.
    Based on conversations I have had with store salespeople, I fully expected to have to listen to them try to talk me out of it for 20 minutes before they sell it to me.
    11-19-12 02:43 PM
    Nobody likes being tricked, and especially tricked into saying nice things about something they've been conditioned to believe is junk.

It's a very cool experiment Saiga, and I hope you'll continue doing it. I wish I had a Dev Alpha A/B, because I'd do the same thing. I'd stand in the quad at my University and do the same thing.

In fact, your experiment could form the basis for a very effective advertising campaign. Basically do the exact thing you did, on camera. Of course, you'd have to hope that *some* people would respond at the end with "Wow, that's a BlackBerry? That's awesome, I want one!" I expect there would be many who would respond this way. Bundle it into a series of advertisements, and BAM.
    11-20-12 10:05 PM
    I think the tide is starting to turn, BUT we will see in Jan/Feb.
    11-20-12 10:21 PM
    I just find it really strange that people really liked a BlackBerry until they found out it was a BlackBerry. This negative sentiment is really going to hurt BlackBerry 10 if RIM doesn't do something to drastically change the opinions of the masses. Thoughts?
    I once worked for a guy (we're photographers) that used to say, "Don't be an equipment snob." That's what the Piephone and R2Droid2 folks have been brainwashed to. When you spend THAT kind of money and it's "outdated" three months later, you HAVE TO believe that.

Remember the majority of those people do NOT realize they are the two bottom OSes for security. They only moan when the identity theft hits.

As Karl Marx said, "The masses are asses." Then, add in PT Barnum's insight and, well...................
    12-04-12 04:11 PM
    lol right, but phone freezes burned a bad experience in people's mind
    Maybe so. But I had to LMAO at five people in my small town ALL on FB complaining about how they:
    1. Went to back up their iPhone
    2. Forced into an update
    3. Crashes that took from 30 min. to an hour on the phone with AT&T Apple people.

The final one was the comment from the child of one woman: "An iPhone? C'MON, MOM!!"
    12-04-12 04:22 PM
    Maybe so. But I had to LMAO at five people in my small town ALL on FB complaining about how they:
    1. Went to back up their iPhone
    2. Forced into an update
    3. Crashes that took from 30 min. to an hour on the phone with AT&T Apple people.

L
    The final one was the comment from the child of one woman: "An iPhone? C'MON, MOM!!"
    ol, That is priceless. Listen to your child woman!
    12-04-12 06:55 PM
    The OP has justified why RIM should contract out BB 10 to Samsung. Samsung needs a great experience to go with their multitude of phones, they also need to partner up with a company that has the OS that appeals to the masses. Imagine if you had presented this OS to the same group and told them it is the "one of two choices for Galaxy S IV", they would be all over it.
    RIM would then be riding the coat-tails of Samsung, they would be selling a Blackberry with/without QWERTY and the famous OS that Samsung uses. By the time the media figure this out, RIM would have sold 100 million handsets. The problem, as pointed out here is the rebuilding of the brand in America. Partner up with Samsung for BB 10 and strike a deal with them for patent protection, and you have a huge winner. Both companies would support each other in terms of hardware, software and branding image.
    Thanks for making this a bit clearer for me, I was wondering how RIM could come out of the gate with a winner and I believe it is in partnering with a company like Samsung in North America. In the end, it doesn't matter who starts the ball rolling as long as RIM ends up with their cache back. I would think that Apple would have a stroke if they saw Samsung and RIM partner up with a common OS and a patent portfolio to die for.
    While I understand where you are coming from I don’t agree with getting in bed with Samsung. Samsung has screwed over every partner they have worked with. Apple is severing as many ties as they can. Even Google is fed up with Samsung and purchased Motorola to develop a proprietary phone. However the fact still remains RIM/BB needs support. They should work with PC manufactures like Dell, and manufactures that produce “house” branded products (Best Buy’s E Machine) to license their OS. The average users won’t need a PC when they have a powerful “mobile computer” that can link to a keyboard and monitor to get work done. PC makers could see their sales drop significantly. RIM needs to get them on board before they get angry that RIM negitively impacted their business (if RIM is successful). RIM and companies like Dell can pool their resources and produce products that can truly compete with Apple and Android by Samsung. They will be the inovators of the next generation, the generation of "Mobile Computers!"
    12-05-12 12:43 AM
    Well it seem as though Americans are sheep, easily fooled by clever marketing and Ponzi Schemes. But to be honest, generally we Americans want to have/be-good-as the next guy. When BB was King-of-the-Hill then BB was what people wanted. Then Apple and now Android by Samsung is at the top. RIM was poorly managed and was asleep at the wheel while they drove themselves to the brink of extinction. If I didn’t do my own research, then I too would think that BB is dead. Then even if I wanted a new BB I would hesitate to get it, because a warranty, without a company to back it, is worthless.
    BB needs good marketing. The greatest marketing of all time is word of mouth. Word of mouth created the negativity around BB and so Word of Mouth must get rid of it. When BB10 drops and it is great I will be one of the first people showing it off to my friends and family and letting them know how superior and secure my phone is compared to theirs. I might just hang out at the AT&T store to show people how awesome my phone is and prove to them how unsecure Google Wallet is.
    12-05-12 01:20 AM
    Bumping this thread so that maybe the OP can try again But maybe this time taking a survey or poll of what peoples reactions are to the NEW pics that have leaked and if they was interested in seeing some Updates to the Dev Alphas'.
    12-13-12 11:41 PM
    BB needs good marketing. The greatest marketing of all time is word of mouth. Word of mouth created the negativity around BB and so Word of Mouth must get rid of it. When BB10 drops and it is great I will be one of the first people showing it off to my friends and family and letting them know how superior and secure my phone is compared to theirs.
    Marketing? Surely you jest!! Just kidding. I have said this more than once. Who the heck makes their decisions.

Playbook. Sounds like a toy. Perception is part of marketing. Using the Apple and Android marketing it should have had a Blackberry tag: Padberry or similar.

Playbook again. Yes, wait until AFTER the peak selling season of November to December to bring it out. Wait until January/February when every retailer is begging for sales.

OS 10. Here we go again. Don't jump in on the peak sales at the end of the year. Wait until the market is SATURATED with holiday gifts and bring out your new phone after that. Look how Microsft timed their iffy products!!

They need to fire whomever does all this "****-poor-planning" and get the stuff out there.

Even when I moved my wife from a Moto Q9H to a 9900 at the AT&T store, they bad-mouthed the BKB. Why? Because she picked up an HTC (Win 8) phone for a second and heard the "Blackberry is behind in technology" story. EVEN THOUGH that phone was 1/2 the price of the BKB.
    12-14-12 04:42 AM
    People seem more concerned about the image of what people see them using rather than if it fits them.

I see it everyday. Phones have become a status symbol to a lot of people even though it is only a $200 device.

Kind of sad that people would rather use something they don't like or know how to use to its extent and feel like people are saying "ohh he/she is cool with that phone" than actually use something they could either be more productive with or like better.

The shallowness of some amaze me.

Sent from my game boy color
    12-14-12 01:34 PM
    That's exactly what happened with my wife's phone. That WIN 8 wowed her until I said, "Data Hog" and you don't see the tiles if you don't leave them live. And, she understands security of personal information.

HOWEVER, after the second day with the 9900 she's been coming home and saying, I really LOVE my phone--three or four times a week. Once she realized she can see Facebook, send photos, etc. she's been satisfied. She still likes a QWERTY.

Of course it didn't hurt that most of the women at work have iPhones. And, most said, "Wow, your husband got a Blackberry for you?" I think they're scared of it is why they bought iToys. And, like you said, peer pressure. Sad.
    12-14-12 04:28 PM
    The results of this experiment are despicable. The woman that stormed off after you called her out for only liking the device until she found out it was a blackberry, that is the attitude of he masses. And she didnt even have the courage to talk about it. She cowardly ran off once whe was caught red handed in the act of blindly loving any brand but blackberry like she is in some kind of cult.
    Saiga likes this.
    12-14-12 04:47 PM
    i assume this experiment was done in the US, maybe someone should try this in other countries.

I guarantee the reaction wouldnt be any where near the same in the UK.
    Was this experiment conducted perchance in a culture raised on walmart, McDonalds, and a population grossly unaware of what an Atlas is? (or struggle to spell "atlas")?
    12-14-12 05:06 PM
    The results of this experiment are despicable. The woman that stormed off after you called her out for only liking the device until she found out it was a blackberry, that is the attitude of he masses. And she didnt even have the courage to talk about it. She cowardly ran off once whe was caught red handed in the act of blindly loving any brand but blackberry like she is in some kind of cult.
    She probably consoled herself with a family sized bucket of kfc whilst watching Jerry Springer. Living the dream!
    12-14-12 05:08 PM
    Oh how i wish i had been part of this experiment. I've also experienced a razzing for using a BB, and then asked them to check something on FB for me, and i'll do the same. guess whose 3 year old phone was faster??
    12-14-12 05:22 PM
    I'm a little surprised and happy to see that this thread is still going strong. I never expected it to stick around for so long when I started it. Hopefully someone at RIM has seen it once or twice and maybe my experiment will have done a bit of good in helping prepare RIM for the BlackBerry 10 launch. It's very unlikely that this is the case, but it would be nice if it turned out to be true.
    12-14-12 09:04 PM
    "Its a good bit of fun. I just wish I had a really small video camera and mic so I could film it."

you do...
    12-14-12 09:53 PM
120 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD