Hello all! Former Crackberry addict here. My BlackBerry life was 8130-8330-9530-9630-9650 and now I'm using a Droid Incredible that I've had for about a year.

With the release of the 9930 I have strongly been considering picking up a new BlackBerry however the last time I had a BlackBerry I didn't have the same needs I have now from a phone and I'm not fully sure if the current BB devices can do some of the things I'm looking for so I'm here to ask you guys.

1. I NEEED to be able to download large files. As a musician I often times am emailed songs for gigs and I have to download them to my phone and learn them on the fly on the way to the gig. Last time I had a BlackBerry you were limited and couldn't download big files. Dropbox isn't really an option as most of the times things are sent directly through my email or through some other site like Yousendit etc. . . . So is there still a size restriction on downloads through the BlackBerry Browser???

2. I travel quite a bit and sometimes need to access the internet from my computer in airports and such. Right now I use Wireless Tether for Android which gives me a free wifi hotspot. Is there an application out there that does free wifi tethering for BlackBerry or is it still Bluetooth/USB only tethering? Any clue if these are detectable by carriers or not?

These next few ones arent so important.

Are these apps still available for BlackBerry OS7?

Socialscope (I hope my login still works)
    QuickLaunch
    MBL Vault

Thanks guys.
    08-20-11 11:35 PM
    I also have the 9330 so I may be able to answer some of your questions.

1) If you get that file through email you can not download it (if it is large) without using the web based email (web browser) which isn't so bad with the improved os6/os7 browser speeds. On the web browser, if you have good signal, you can download large files. I've never downloaded larger then 8mb on it and that is more then email or Opera can handle so I'm happy.

2) I'm afraid only the new os7 devices have wifi tethering (and that is still questionable because some carriers are apparently blocking it). Your choices for tethering are still the same for os6/os5 devices but it isn't that bad for a quick emergency speed connection. It sure as **** beats dial-up lol.

I've never had any of those apps so have somebody else answer that.
    drumzalicious likes this.
    08-20-11 11:53 PM
    I also have the 9330 so I may be able to answer some of your questions.

1) If you get that file through email you can not download it (if it is large) without using the web based email (web browser) which isn't so bad with the improved os6/os7 browser speeds. On the web browser, if you have good signal, you can download large files. I've never downloaded larger then 8mb on it and that is more then email or Opera can handle so I'm happy.

2) I'm afraid only the new os7 devices have wifi tethering (and that is still questionable because some carriers are apparently blocking it). Your choices for tethering are still the same for os6/os5 devices but it isn't that bad for a quick emergency speed connection. It sure as **** beats dial-up lol.

I've never had any of those apps so have somebody else answer that.
    The device I'd be looking at getting would be the 9930 which is an OS7 Device. I guess I'm just trying to find out if there are any tethering apps out there that I can use and not pay VZW twice for data (cell+tethering).

Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
    08-20-11 11:56 PM
    Oops sorry 9930 and 9330...that one digit always messes me up :P

But I agree with the tethering charges on Verizon, I wish we could pay per mb used not per month.
    08-20-11 11:59 PM
    QuickLaunch is available for OS 4, 5, 6 & 7 devices
    08-21-11 03:26 AM
    QuickLaunch is available for OS 4, 5, 6 & 7 devices

I'm assuming I will have to purchase it again since my license is from 2008.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 06:24 AM
    you mean 2009. if you dont have version 3 there is a $1.99 upgrade fee. the app is quite different / better than what you had back then.
    08-21-11 03:56 PM
    you mean 2009. if you dont have version 3 there is a $1.99 upgrade fee. the app is quite different / better than what you had back then.
    cool beans thanks! Im somewhat upset at there only being one convenience key now though. I used to have Quicklaunch set to the left one and camera on the right.
    08-22-11 02:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD