I work in IT and I have set up email on Blackberries, Iphones, the Pre, WinMo devices, and Nokia phones, and I have found the Blackberry to be the best for email. Blackberries and BES are designed to be secure and easily managed by an IT department. Active Sync makes the setup fairly easy on devices other than Blackberry, but it is more difficult for an IT department to manage.

With ActiveSync the user management for wiping a device is not the best in the world, and I have yet been able to get it configured with our Exchange server (I have been working on this off and on for the past year). With BES I can easily wipe a device, make sure they are upgraded, push software out to them over the air. It is also easier for an end user to setup because I can walk them through it over the phone. With ActiveSync so many phones have it that I can not know what menus to point them to. Also, with our Exchange server we use SSL and have a self signed certificate and on some of the phones I can not install the cert because they do not allow third party certs to be installed.

The other nice thing about BES is that it actually connects the Blackberry to the internal network, so I can view internal webpages with out having to open more ports in the firewall or have confidential information easily available over the web.

I have switch from a WinMo device to a Curve and I have no plans to go back as from my experience my Curve has ran with less battery pulls and issues then the WinMo devices I have used.
    09-19-09 10:14 PM
    I work in IT and I have set up email on Blackberries, Iphones, the Pre, WinMo devices, and Nokia phones, and I have found the Blackberry to be the best for email. Blackberries and BES are designed to be secure and easily managed by an IT department. Active Sync makes the setup fairly easy on devices other than Blackberry, but it is more difficult for an IT department to manage.

With ActiveSync the user management for wiping a device is not the best in the world, and I have yet been able to get it configured with our Exchange server (I have been working on this off and on for the past year). With BES I can easily wipe a device, make sure they are upgraded, push software out to them over the air. It is also easier for an end user to setup because I can walk them through it over the phone. With ActiveSync so many phones have it that I can not know what menus to point them to. Also, with our Exchange server we use SSL and have a self signed certificate and on some of the phones I can not install the cert because they do not allow third party certs to be installed.

The other nice thing about BES is that it actually connects the Blackberry to the internal network, so I can view internal webpages with out having to open more ports in the firewall or have confidential information easily available over the web.

I have switch from a WinMo device to a Curve and I have no plans to go back as from my experience my Curve has ran with less battery pulls and issues then the WinMo devices I have used.

We do not have an IT department and I know just enough to be dangerous. My question is why do the BB devices I have connected just to receive e-mail (we use the desktop software to sync the contacts, etc.) not delete the e-mails from the device if they are deleted from the inbox on the computer. However, if we use the BB and say delete from both device and computer, the message gets moved to the deleted file on the computer. We are not always out on the road and it makes it confusing when you have to re-read every e-mail on the device to see if you already deleted it or not.
    10-18-09 06:17 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD