What are you talking about?! It's a terrible time to be a tech fan! There's so much awesome tech coming, but I can't buy it all, so I'm losing my mind in indecision!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-03-12 12:28 PM
    The only bad thing is that I want all the new stuff but can't afford to buy everything I want.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-03-12 12:56 PM
    The only bad thing is that I want all the new stuff but can't afford to buy everything I want.
    I justify it by giving the gadgets as presents to family, then I get to play with them too.
    11-03-12 12:59 PM
    I'm with you on the nitpicky stuff, but what irks me a lot more is the misinformation and sometimes outright lying about other platforms to build up another one.
    Yep, I've never understood that one at all. If one is a fan of a certain platform, it should have its own merits, right? What good does it do to lie about others?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-12 01:17 PM
    Apple doesn't allow downgrading the Device after a month or so of releasing new OS
    Yikes. Forget Apple then. I had the first iPhone, but after the novelty wore off (after 15mins of actual usage), I moved to my first BlackBerry (a Curve 8520) and have no regrets. And I used to be a long-time Apple supporter - been using Macs since OS8. No longer, after I saw the way the new Apple handled it's competitors & customers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 01:25 PM
    I justify it by giving the gadgets as presents to family, then I get to play with them too.
    That's a great idea.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    11-03-12 03:35 PM
    i have to agree
    it's a great time to be a tech-"fan", but at the same time it's also tiring - new devices (iOS, Android, WP8, BB, or ANYTHING ELSE tech) coming out every damn day, promising the next big thing
    new features, all the fanboys...sigh

but it's also my fault, for being interested in those kinds of things : )
    and right now it's really frustrating because i can't make up my mind what i really want

i've had my bb 9700 for more than 2 years now (i actually planned to buy a 9900 on day1, but didn't because i couldn't make up my mind if that's what i really wanted)
    my imac suddenly stopped working, so i bought myself a MBP 15'' with the best specs possible (loving it), and also an apple tv.. after these purchases i was 100% sure that i would get an iphone 5 on day1

guess what? i didn't... because once again i thought about blackberry 10... then i started to take a closer and more serious look at all the other devices out there... android, the new wp8 phones.. and they're actually also looking great, especially those wp8 live tiles, great homescreen : )

then i thought about buying an iphone 5 again... simply because i already own a MBP and an Apple TV... i use itunes and want to replace my ipod, therefore iphone would be the obvious choice (only want to carry 1 device around), icloud looks nice, i upgraded to mountain lion - it would be perfect

but im a BB-fan, and BB10 looks so amazingly great.. i just can't make up my mind..
    currently about 99% sure that i'll wait for bb10 + also buy one of those playbooks

so, what im trying to say.... on the one hand it's a great time to be a tech-fan.. there's just so many options - new devices are being released almost every day (at least that's what it feels like), all the competition makes the devices better and better and it's entirely up to you what to buy

on the other hand... it's super tiring because i just can't decide on what to get.. and im always excited for the next best thing right around the corner : (
    I here you, lots of people are starting to buy phones off contract and only holding them for say 6 months or so, as they want the next best thing. (I say lots of people, I guess its just a few but seems to be becomeing more prevelant in Asia. Where its easy to buy and sell second hand devices) not a bad idea for the Joneser's
    11-04-12 02:16 AM
    OP, this has been a good thought provoking thread. It made me think of why I like hi tech stuff coming out. Thanks for posting OP.
    11-04-12 10:18 AM
    I think too many people focus on the hardware /gadget aspect forgetting that they are portals for communication and information. Content is always more important to me than the device or platform . One thing I really like are cross platform apps, such as Catch ,Box and Evernote which bring my computer, my phone and my tablet together. I think this openess is essential for technology to succeed. One thing I don't like is the loss of my privacy, which is why l'm leery about Google, FB, and iOS . It's really dishonest in iOS that you have to turn off advertising tracking, buried deep in settings in a hidden and unexpected place -seems Apple doesn't want you to know about this or do anything about it,this is in addition to ordinary browser and app permissions. Technology though great comes at a price -privacy. This is where BlackBerry comes into it's own ,it's the most private,honest and upfront platform I know of. As technology advances, ordinary privacy is becoming a precious commodity
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-04-12 11:22 AM
    I think too many people focus on the hardware /gadget aspect forgetting that they are portals for communication and information. Content is always more important to me than the device or platform . One thing I really like are cross platform apps, such as Catch ,Box and Evernote which bring my computer, my phone and my tablet together. I think this openess is essential for technology to succeed. One thing I don't like is the loss of my privacy, which is why l'm leery about Google, FB, and iOS . It's really dishonest in iOS that you have to turn off advertising tracking, buried deep in settings in a hidden and unexpected place -seems Apple doesn't want you to know about this or do anything about it,this is in addition to ordinary browser and app permissions. Technology though great comes at a price -privacy. This is where BlackBerry comes into it's own ,it's the most private,honest and upfront platform I know of. As technology advances, ordinary privacy is becoming a precious commodity
    I'm a big fan of cross-platform apps.

BTW, RIM does collect and store data. It doesn't hide the fact, but doesn't disclose why or how much, IIRC. Concerns have been raised about that data falling into the wrong hands.
    11-04-12 09:49 PM
    Eh maybe my tastes are more in line the average consumer but I couldn't really care about the openess of a platform.

I do use and like crossplatform applications, but I have to admit that its becoming increasingly hard to use open. Software.

Take something like dropox or box. While its crossplatfrom and relaible its pretty barebones compared to the first party options icloud,google drive, and skydrive.

Even with say soomething like ever note I'm someone tempted to move to onenote.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    11-05-12 09:28 AM
    Eh maybe my tastes are more in line the average consumer but I couldn't really care about the openess of a platform.

I do use and like crossplatform applications, but I have to admit that its becoming increasingly hard to use open. Software.

Take something like dropox or box. While its crossplatfrom and relaible its pretty barebones compared to the first party options icloud,google drive, and skydrive.

Even with say soomething like ever note I'm someone tempted to move to onenote.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Fair point.

My love for cross-platform apps is borne out of my irrational fear of being held captive by any particular platform. I want to be able to switch when I want to without thinking of compatibility.

One reason I stuck with Palm longer than I needed to was Datebk. Couldn't migrate my data easily, and there was not a port for BBOS at the time. Now, I look for apps that have ports on the major OSes. Allows me to maintain productivity down the line.
    11-05-12 01:15 PM
    Fair point.

My love for cross-platform apps is borne out of my irrational fear of being held captive by any particular platform. I want to be able to switch when I want to without thinking of compatibility.

One reason I stuck with Palm longer than I needed to was Datebk. Couldn't migrate my data easily, and there was not a port for BBOS at the time. Now, I look for apps that have ports on the major OSes. Allows me to maintain productivity down the line.
    That is an issue with a lot of people. For instance, if one uses Photoshop, Visio or other really expensive software, it might not be feasible to use open source or even OS X.

Gimp is available for Linux, but it is not nearly as usable as Photoshop. Having a Mac would require buying the version of Photoshop for Mac or running Windows on the Mac.

Visio is only available for Windows. There is no Visio for Mac. Open source software does not provide all of the tools available in Visio.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-05-12 01:30 PM
    I've transitioned to Dia from Visio. I don't need to develop complex diagrams, so Dia is good enough for me. I used to use Omnigraffle on the Mac. But since I've decided to go Linux & opensource, LibreOffice and Dia are my main staple software now. I teach networking and security.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 09:37 PM
39 12