No matter what device or ecosystem your into we have to admit its a good time to be a fan. From Windows Phone live tiles, android photosphere, ios passbook, all the way to blackberry bridge.

Thought it would be nice to have a non. Hostile OS wars to discuss the various platforms.

Blackberry

Android

Windows

ios

So anyone else agree?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    Laura Knotek, CHIP72 and jasonvan9 like this.
    11-02-12 11:16 PM
    Agreed! It will be very interesting to see BB10, WP8 & Surface as they are progressively launched. iOS & Android getting a bit old.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-02-12 11:18 PM
    Yes .........
    11-02-12 11:19 PM
    Non hostile. Ha

But in all honesty, nothing on iOS intrigues me, Android is also getting stagnant, while WP8 has potential, is not quite ready for the big leagues. Then there is BB10. Excited to see it. Only OS changing how the user uses a device.
    11-02-12 11:52 PM
    I find it kind of tiring. Things changing so quickly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-03-12 12:01 AM
    It is getting tiring now....tech..tech..tech..all the time
    We don't get to enjoy what we have got. instead, we look for what we don't have
    kbz1960, Hgouck and Caymancroc like this.
    11-03-12 01:20 AM
    Exactly. Yep.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 01:27 AM
    Yes, its lots of fun and very educational. There is no war for me. Im a consumer. I love different view points. As always, most are able to be device agnostic, just like comparing any other asset, cars, cameras, fridges etc.
    11-03-12 01:33 AM
    I love the competition. It is a great time to be a tech fan indeed.

I am a tech window shopper. Don't have to own the latest or greatest, just what works for me.
    11-03-12 01:34 AM
    Or we try to continually get back what we once had. This "improving" is constantly done and I think to myself, at least for me, we are really not that much further than my Palm devices in the early 2000's. If I look at the granular function and think about the integration of GPS and how that has helped me along with the camera becoming smaller, then yes, the devices are a bit nicer, but aren't we supposed to have flying cars and free NRG? My GPS and Camera aren't any better either, they are just integrated into my phone now. In fact, my pictures are worse than they were a few years ago because I rely on my phone more now than a dedicated camera and with Apple's new maps I am lost more when I travel now than I was with my stand alone GPS. I just don't want to carry around chargers.

Sorry for the late night rambling but...

The tech world is kinda sad if you think about it and tech isn't the only thing that has stood still. Mark Steyn beautifully illustrates all of this lack of progress in his book After America. Makes me think that most of the people that go to work everyday just sit there drinking coffee updating their Facebook status. Innovation seems stuck to me and it doesn't count if you bring something to market that is "innovative" and the consumer is the beta tester.

Also speaking of wanting to be able to enjoy what we have, my iPhone was working fine until the new "upgrade" to ios 6. I immensely enjoyed it but consider it very frustrating now. It now feels as though I bought an Android device minus the great Google maps. I just wanted to continue to use the device without hassle. My iPhone was supposed to be a phone that I could use for more than a year.

It almost seems as though Apple took some of their money and placed bets on RIM and then released ios 6.0 as a joke to see how much pain they could inflict upon Apple customers, driving them back to Blackberry.

In any case, I tried to use my gps runner app with no success this date and then tried to DVR a show tonight. Both times my iPhone force closed the app and now I can't even use those apps. They were working fine until, again, the ios 6.0.1 update which was done yesterday to supposedly fix a bunch of problems including my "shaking" keyboard (which is now a worse problem). Thank you Tim Cook. Without this Apple blunder I would have never looked at RIM again.

I guess I would be all excited for tech if someone gave me ios 5.0 back. I think that is what BB10 will be. To boil it down people just want a reliable device that can essentially replace their laptop and all of the garbage they carry around all day. I can't believe it has taken until the "20teens" to get even close.

First one to build this wallet/key/camera/GPS/laptop without buggy garbage apps and a smooth user experience without the need to update the device every 6 months, will win.

Well at least I can look at it this way, I had a very nice long quiet walk today in the warm beautiful sunshine with a smile on my face and had no technology interruption. That is the best enjoyment in life. Period.

Good luck RIM, I hope you Canadians pull off something amazing. Seems that nobody else will at this point.
    11-03-12 02:26 AM
    It definitely is. It's pretty crazy wondering how it will pan out over the years.
    11-03-12 02:42 AM
    All this fun certainly seems to bring the worst out in people. If the times were so great, people could come to a BB fan site and simply enjoy it. Yet for the last 18 months CB has been a battle zone. Good times in deed!
    Yet I'm still excited to see whats around the corner
    toneytone likes this.
    11-03-12 04:14 AM
    i have to agree
    it's a great time to be a tech-"fan", but at the same time it's also tiring - new devices (iOS, Android, WP8, BB, or ANYTHING ELSE tech) coming out every damn day, promising the next big thing
    new features, all the fanboys...sigh

but it's also my fault, for being interested in those kinds of things : )
    and right now it's really frustrating because i can't make up my mind what i really want

i've had my bb 9700 for more than 2 years now (i actually planned to buy a 9900 on day1, but didn't because i couldn't make up my mind if that's what i really wanted)
    my imac suddenly stopped working, so i bought myself a MBP 15'' with the best specs possible (loving it), and also an apple tv.. after these purchases i was 100% sure that i would get an iphone 5 on day1

guess what? i didn't... because once again i thought about blackberry 10... then i started to take a closer and more serious look at all the other devices out there... android, the new wp8 phones.. and they're actually also looking great, especially those wp8 live tiles, great homescreen : )

then i thought about buying an iphone 5 again... simply because i already own a MBP and an Apple TV... i use itunes and want to replace my ipod, therefore iphone would be the obvious choice (only want to carry 1 device around), icloud looks nice, i upgraded to mountain lion - it would be perfect

but im a BB-fan, and BB10 looks so amazingly great.. i just can't make up my mind..
    currently about 99% sure that i'll wait for bb10 + also buy one of those playbooks

so, what im trying to say.... on the one hand it's a great time to be a tech-fan.. there's just so many options - new devices are being released almost every day (at least that's what it feels like), all the competition makes the devices better and better and it's entirely up to you what to buy

on the other hand... it's super tiring because i just can't decide on what to get.. and im always excited for the next best thing right around the corner : (
    11-03-12 06:01 AM
    Why don't you put iOS5 back on the iPhone? It's been ages since I last used one - I vaguely remember that iTunes could restore a iPhone to default settings. Try it.

11-03-12 07:49 AM
    Why don't you put iOS5 back on the iPhone? It's been ages since I last used one - I vaguely remember that iTunes could restore a iPhone to default settings. Try it.

Apple doesn't allow downgrading the Device after a month or so of releasing new OS
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-03-12 08:02 AM
    Apple doesn't allow downgrading the Device after a month or so of releasing new OS
    Yeah and at least in this case it doesn't look like they allowed downgrading at all. If you search "I want ios 5 back" you will see the many people complaining days after the release. Some threatening to leave for Android etc. I will personally have a BB10 device day 1. Don't know if that is day 1 of N or L series. Can't decide which one I want.

If I were able to get ios 5 back that might change my mind.
    11-03-12 08:46 AM
    Yeah and at least in this case it doesn't look like they allowed downgrading at all. If you search "I want ios 5 back" you will see the many people complaining days after the release. Some threatening to leave for Android etc. I will personally have a BB10 device day 1. Don't know if that is day 1 of N or L series. Can't decide which one I want.

If I were able to get ios 5 back that might change my mind.
    You can trade(buy/sell) your iPhone with one running os5....I am on 5.1.1 and I am not forced to upgrade but once I do, there is no coming back. Unless I have saved SHSH blobs.
    11-03-12 08:55 AM
    With all the technology available to us (smartphones, tables, instant info) we have become less connected with real people. To put so much energy and time into knowing about the latest technology available to us and not spend time getting to know about our neighbors and spending time with family and friends is a mystery. I am all for finding the right device to make our lives easier. I think there are times we need to put the technology away and spend time face to face.
    11-03-12 09:08 AM
    The mobile space is moving a bit too quickly for me now. I used to be interested in the mobile stuff a lot more when it was a novelty rather than a necessity. I used to really like tinkering with Windows mobile and Palm devices back in the early 2000's. Now the tinkering communities are all but dead (with the exception of some smaller Android communities) since a new product comes out every few weeks that eclipses the old one, rendering efforts almost useless.

Moore's law also seems to be fitting in nicely in the mobile market, resulting in CPU speeds growing beyond what is useful. This makes developers sloppy and results in rushed, buggy and poorly-optimized software. But it's ok because the powerful hardware will push through it.
    11-03-12 10:33 AM
    Moore's law also seems to be fitting in nicely in the mobile market, resulting in CPU speeds growing beyond what is useful. This makes developers sloppy and results in rushed, buggy and poorly-optimized software. But it's ok because the powerful hardware will push through it.
    I think iPhone 4, released more than 2 years ago, is still good enough for the apps currently available and it could last another two years without any issue.
    11-03-12 10:41 AM
    I think iPhone 4, released more than 2 years ago, is still good enough for the apps currently available and it could last another two years without any issue.
    Probably true, IF there was never an iPhone 4s or 5 released. Because of the extra juice, programmers are getting sloppier. If they forced to write for the iPhone4, they could produce the same experience, but with more streamlined code.

I always laugh thinking about older devices like the Dell PDA in my sig pic. That thing had an old 300mhz ARM processor in it, yet it could run Quake 2 at full speed. My 9700 running at over double the clock speed can't even run a wolfenstein clone at full speed. My iPod touch running at 800mhz struggles to run Duke Nukem 3D.
    berriac likes this.
    11-03-12 10:53 AM
    Probably true, IF there was never an iPhone 4s or 5 released. Because of the extra juice, programmers are getting sloppier. If they forced to write for the iPhone4, they could produce the same experience, but with more streamlined code.

I always laugh thinking about older devices like the Dell PDA in my sig pic. That thing had an old 300mhz ARM processor in it, yet it could run Quake 2 at full speed. My 9700 running at over double the clock speed can't even run a wolfenstein clone at full speed. My iPod touch running at 800mhz struggles to run Duke Nukem 3D.
    I have also noticed, iOS apps getting bigger and bigger in size after every new release.
    11-03-12 10:56 AM
    Indeed, it is a fantastic time to be a tech fan!
    11-03-12 11:20 AM
    It's fun for me until all the trolling starts. I can't surf here or tech blog comments without being subjected to it these days. But when people get SO NITPICKY regarding stuff like one phone getting a certain processor two months before another phone, or how this phone can compose an email with a swipe and two taps whereas another phone can compose one with a tap and a swipe...WHO CARES?? Following tech is just a small hobby for me, and I get irritated when it stops being fun.
    Laura Knotek and jakie55 like this.
    11-03-12 12:10 PM
    I'm with you on the nitpicky stuff, but what irks me a lot more is the misinformation and sometimes outright lying about other platforms to build up another one.
    11-03-12 12:17 PM
39 12