That's understandable, but to act like apps aren't that important is asinine...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    oh contrare.....

I believe they are important, however, not nearly as important as the hardware and base ecosystem.

You speak like it's all that's important
    06-23-12 09:46 PM
    If RIM is going after the consumer market you would be absolutely correct.
    They are going after the consumer market. There's no doubt about that.
    06-23-12 09:48 PM
    oh contrare.....

I believe they are important, however, not nearly as important as the hardware and base ecosystem.

You speak like it's all that's important
    Devils advocate for a moment:

How many average users are there that actually care about or even understand the hardware
    in their respective devices? Understand the ecosystem (God I hate that term) of their platform?
    Care about either?

Now how many are pissed off that they don't have Skype, or Netflix, or the latest game,
    or.........

While there is a segment of us who do understand the underpinnings of their device as well
    as others on the market it is undeniable that most simply do not care and for that reason,
    in the eyes of the average consumer all of the "what makes it tick" is irrelevant. "What
    can it DO" trumps all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-23-12 09:54 PM
    What's wrong with the term ecosystem?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    06-23-12 10:01 PM
    Devils advocate for a moment:

How many average users are there that actually care about or even understand the hardware
    in their respective devices? Understand the ecosystem (God I hate that term) of their platform?
    Care about either?

Now how many are pissed off that they don't have Skype, or Netflix, or the latest game,
    or.........

While there is a segment of us who do understand the underpinnings of their device as well
    as others on the market it is undeniable that most simply do not care and for that reason,
    in the eyes of the average consumer all of the "what makes it tick" is irrelevant. "What
    can it DO" trumps all.
    The average consumer, I'm willing to bet, buys whatever the pimple-faced kid at the "fill in the blank" cell store tells them to. That, and that alone, forces the app list requirement, and not the average consumer.

Most, from my experience, don't even know how to enable bluetooth.

Then again, the devil could be right.
    06-23-12 10:14 PM
    Complete nonsense, iOS is based on OS X which is certified as a Unix operating system, Android is based on Linux a Unix clone. Android/Linux is not more robust that iOS nor is it inherently more versatile (though Apple does place more restrictions on iOS apps than Google does on Android).

Symbian is pretty much dead at this point so what it can and can not do is irrelevant. Nokia may be dead too after Elop Osborned the company with WP7 and Balmer double Osborned it with WP8.
    I don't think you understood my point. I'm talking about from a user's perspective, not tech-y UNIX whatever.

iOS doesn't allow a user to do much more than manage and launch apps, while Android does a bit more. I was using Symbian as an example of an OS that allows tons of versatility and customization, but is a horror to actually use.
    06-24-12 06:21 PM
    I don't think you understood my point. I'm talking about from a user's perspective, not tech-y UNIX whatever.

iOS doesn't allow a user to do much more than manage and launch apps, while Android does a bit more. I was using Symbian as an example of an OS that allows tons of versatility and customization, but is a horror to actually use.
    What exactly does Android to in addition to allowing a user to manage and launch apps?
    06-24-12 09:39 PM
    i see BLACKBERRY becoming champion in near future

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 10:59 PM
233 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD