Microsoft launching Windows 8, Blackberry going all in with BB10, Apple releasing iPhone 5 and Google betting on Android 5.0. Who's going to come out being the champion, barely surviving and the big loser? Any predictions?
    brucep1 and tang63 like this.
    06-20-12 02:47 PM
    My prediction this year, nothing will change except a little surge from BB10.
    06-20-12 02:52 PM
    My prediction is that Apple will lead, Windows 8 will make serious headroom, Android will
    slip just a little and BlackBerry will continue to bring up the rear.

Apple has the most devoted user base of any platform and nothing being offered will sway
    them from that.

Windows 8 has the most buzz potential. Add to that the possibility of seamless integration of
    the tablet, computer (laptop, notebook or netbook) and mobile device and there is virtually no
    real downside. Execution is everything however.

Android has the most to lose and I can see some defection but mainly toward Windows 8 and
    the Surface.

RIM seems intent on doing everything wrong in terms of marketing and by the time their BB10
    device hits the streets any buzz (outside of forums like this) will be more of a muted yawn.

Of course, like all predictions, I readily admit I may be way off the edge of the map and may
    be proven wrong on every score.
    06-20-12 02:54 PM
    I predict this will quickly degenerate into a flame war, and far too few will realize, we all win.

Viva la competition!
    06-20-12 02:55 PM
    My prediction is that Apple will lead, Windows 8 will make serious headroom, Android will slip just a little and BlackBerry will continue to bring up the rear.

RIM seems intent on doing everything wrong in terms of marketing and by the time their BB10 device hits the streets any buzz (outside of forums like this) will be more of a muted yawn.
    I agree with you except I would switch Android and Windows. MS always seems to bring out devices with buzz that could change things, but history shows they have a long way to go. I don't see it changing this year. I don't think BB10 will have the release that RIM wants or needs for it to have.
    06-20-12 02:56 PM
    I agree with you except I would switch Android and Windows. MS always seems to bring out devices with buzz that could change things, but history shows they have a long way to go. I don't see it changing this year. I don't think BB10 will have the release that RIM wants or needs for it to have.
    All good points, especially on Microsoft. I do think the market is ready for the Surface and if, and it
    is always a big if with MSFT, they can execute and market the Surface well it could change the
    paradigm, even if slightly.
    06-20-12 03:02 PM
    Blood bath or not, hopefully everyone is happy with whatever device they go with. And hopefully everyone simultaneously takes the hint that people don't care what whoever went with and whatever some whoever thinks is better.

But the likelihood of that happening is like people realizing that they don't NEED marketing to sell everything. I've always wished people would realize that marketing means they can't think for themselves - maybe that's why there's such persistent garbage in here with regards to what's better.

Ultimately: Who cares? Just enjoy your technology!
    06-20-12 03:03 PM
    My interest in Android seems to be waning, and not saying I speak for all Android users, but I know a few others in my circle who feel the same way. I tend to agree with AG's assessment, just because I happen to be interested in the Surface and maybe into a Windows 8 phone. I'm still eager to learn more about BB10, though.
    06-20-12 03:04 PM
    I predict Kevin will have a facepalm moment as he will realize his World Tour is outdated with the new OS releases.

But also such is technology life...
    06-20-12 03:09 PM
    My interest in Android seems to be waning, and not saying I speak for all Android users, but I know a few others in my circle who feel the same way. I tend to agree with AG's assessment, just because I happen to be interested in the Surface and maybe into a Windows 8 phone. I'm still eager to learn more about BB10, though.
    I agree with this 100%. Aside from being a BlackBerry user, I'm relatively interested in Microsoft because I still enjoy using Windows. Having said that though, I feel like there are things Microsoft COMPLETELY miss, and then other things that are done tastefully, which balances it.

I have a touchscreen Acer - I should honestly consider trying out Windows 8 but I haven't been following it at all, really.
    06-20-12 03:11 PM
    Apple is, frankly, coasting. They need to show considerably more innovation if they expect to see much more expansion. Trouble is, if they innovate too much they stand a chance of pi$$ing off their current users.

The new iPhone (to be called "The New iPhone", maybe?) is already likely to ditch the proprietary connector Apple's been using for years, and which millions of third-party devices connect to. The replacement will likely be a huge improvement, but there will be complaints, just see.

Android? Hitting quicksand. Serious fragmentation, serious upgradability concerns. Google has lost all control of the user experience to the OEMs and even the carriers. And why should developers even code for Android 4 when it's only a negligible share of total Android users? It's really hard to see how this can get better. Samsung is already dropping hints that it's ready to do its own mobile OS.

Win 8 - Some potential there; I'm really curious to see how well the phones, the RT tablets, Xbox, and Win8 Pro integrate. Devil's in the details, but what I've seen so far is very encouraging. I'm already planning to buy a Surface Pro tablet unless the price is completely out to lunch.

BB10 - Wild card. What little we've seen of BB10 suggests that it stands the chance of being genuinely new and different, but they may have lost too much consumer mindshare to ever recover. Still long on RIM stock, and I still believe they have the talent at hand to do something great, but whether they actually capitalize on it or not remains to be seen.

The speculative scenario that makes me smile these days: Samsung decides to license BB10 as its alternative to Android. This move would be a game-changer.
    06-20-12 03:11 PM
    Android? Hitting quicksand. Serious fragmentation, serious upgradability concerns.
    Holy crap ^ this. My Rezound was supposed to be updated...oh...3 months ago!!
    06-20-12 03:13 PM
    Blood bath or not, hopefully everyone is happy with whatever device they go with. And hopefully everyone simultaneously takes the hint that people don't care what whoever went with and whatever some whoever thinks is better.

But the likelihood of that happening is like people realizing that they don't NEED marketing to sell everything. I've always wished people would realize that marketing means they can't think for themselves - maybe that's why there's such persistent garbage in here with regards to what's better.

Ultimately: Who cares? Just enjoy your technology!
    I agree with everything except the bolded part.
    06-20-12 03:16 PM
    I suspect Windows Phone and Nokia are going to be tied together regardless of other vendors. Though if Samsung makes a Windows phone you could see a larger up take. I think the Android makers have a bigger bear in the woods, Google owning Motorola. Apple will continue its following and Rim is a fly or die deal.
    Last edited by undone; 06-20-12 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Corrected Samsung does make Windows phones...doh
    06-20-12 03:17 PM
    I would like to try Windows and BB10. Whichever platform gives me an opportunity to have a truly convergent device works for me.
    06-20-12 03:39 PM
    Here's what will happen. BB10 will be so awesome that all the other platforms will become panicked and ratchet up the smear campaigns to extreme levels. They'll slander RIM and talk bs about BlackBerry so much that even the dimmest of sheeple will start to recognize them for the bearers of false witness that they are. Hordes of defectors from the other platforms, apple, android, wp, will go on waiting lists to obtain BB10 handsets. Loyal users will already be enjoying BB10 devices. Eventually the masses will have them, too, as back orders are filled.
    06-20-12 03:40 PM
    I think iPhone right now is the most vulnerable. There are signs of cracks especially for those people that have been with the line since its original launch half a decade ago the. The Phones are not bad and they don't think its a bad phone but I think they are ready for the next big things.

Additionally some comments I have been hearing, though admittedly I haven't been paying attention, apparently iOS 6 won't be able to be used on the old phones? I don't know if someone can correct or confirm that for me, but I have been hearing iPhone users complain about that (like no other platform does it).

And there is genuine excitement over other products on the market. My techie boss is loving what the Android platform is doing(long time iPhone owner). The Surface has raised peoples eyebrows, and whether or not they make it or Nokia chooses to pursue the hardware for it and they(MSFT) continue to develop the prototype ideas for software that very likely is the future of the laptop/tablet.

It just seems that the iPhone is hitting the limits of its shelf life in its current cycle.
    06-20-12 03:46 PM
    Here's what will happen. BB10 will be so awesome that all the other platforms will become panicked and ratchet up the smear campaigns to extreme levels. They'll slander RIM and talk bs about BlackBerry so much that even the dimmest of sheeple will start to recognize them for the bearers of false witness that they are. Hordes of defectors from the other platforms, apple, android, wp, will go on waiting lists to obtain BB10 handsets. Loyal users will already be enjoying BB10 devices. Eventually the masses will have them, too, as back orders are filled.
    Nice dream but It's time to wake up.... No matter how awesome BB10 might be, RIM will have a very hard time providing all the services that Apple, Google, and Microsoft can for their users.
    06-20-12 03:49 PM
    The users you're referring to will re-evaluate their priorities and defect to RIM as they begin to question how valuable those "services" really are. Don't forget, in all likelihood, security breaches will come.
    06-20-12 03:53 PM
    I think iPhone right now is the most vulnerable. There are signs of cracks especially for those people that have been with the line since its original launch half a decade ago the. The Phones are not bad and they don't think its a bad phone but I think they are ready for the next big things.

Additionally some comments I have been hearing, though admittedly I haven't been paying attention, apparently iOS 6 won't be able to be used on the old phones? I don't know if someone can correct or confirm that for me, but I have been hearing iPhone users complain about that (like no other platform does it).

And there is genuine excitement over other products on the market. My techie boss is loving what the Android platform is doing(long time iPhone owner). The Surface has raised peoples eyebrows, and whether or not they make it or Nokia chooses to pursue the hardware for it and they(MSFT) continue to develop the prototype ideas for software that very likely is the future of the laptop/tablet.

It just seems that the iPhone is hitting the limits of its shelf life in its current cycle.
    This is why Apple is kind of painted into a corner right now; iOS is verging on becoming a "legacy" OS. I think iOS 6 will be available to current devices, but may not implement all features on older hardware. The trouble here: iOS 6 is really iOS 4 SP2.

At some point, Apple will be faced with the same problem that RIM is dealing with now: moving users to a whole new platform. With as many users as Apple has, that won't be easy.

The other point: Apple's UI is okay, but starting to show its age. A co-worker was showing off his New iPad a couple of weeks ago, and when he struggled just to switch apps I couldn't help but chuckle inwardly over how much easier the navigation is on a Playbook.

And even if the iOS UI was still the best out there, the look and feel has changed little in years now. Many users will be ready for something different.
    06-20-12 03:56 PM
    I predict BB10 will be a refreshing change compared to the competition. Flow and easy multi-tasking will ignite interest in RIM and they'll ride the wave back to 20% market share
    sf49ers and BB10FTW like this.
    06-20-12 03:59 PM
    The users you're referring to will re-evaluate their priorities and defect to RIM as they begin to question how valuable those "services" really are. Don't forget, in all likelihood, security breaches will come.
    Yes, and in all likelihood, with the end of the world approaching, and the impending Zombie Apocolypse, cell phone security will be the least of people's worries.
    06-20-12 04:00 PM
    iOS 6 won't be available to those using an iPhone 3GS or lower. Apple has a 2 year upgrade policy on phones (hence why iPhone 4 & 4S will get iOS6). Funny thing is Apple is the ONLY manufacturer who provides support like this for their phone. This reason above all is why I continually steer people to iOS instead of Android.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    06-20-12 04:01 PM
    I think this fall will be the best time in years to be a fan of tech.

So much goodness coming out from all accross the board.
    06-20-12 04:04 PM
    Yes, and in all likelihood, with the end of the world approaching, and the impending Zombie Apocolypse, cell phone security will be the least of people's worries.
    Well yea it is...you need to know how to make use of the millions of I-Devices as weapons...Will a sharpened Ipad properly sever a limb? Do iPhones make good shrapnel grenades?
    06-20-12 04:05 PM
233 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD