What I mean is that I think RIM are taking far too many things on their shoulders than they can bear at the moment. For isnstance at the moment they are running (or at least trying to) 3 operating systems i.e (i) The PB OS (ii) The legacy OS and thirdly the latest blackberry 10 OS, keeping in mind that they are all different, and apart from the OSs they also have to keep the apps and stuff coming to all three items they're currently supporting.
    Yes I know that the new OS deep down inside is basically the same OS upon which the PB is running now but still we shouldn't forget that that BB has to get it optimisied for the PB interface and stuff and that it cannot in its raw form run smoothly on the PB, Kevin has also highlighted this issue, because the PB simply lacks in specs if put in against the z10 and that is the reason why we have to wait for a whole year to get our PBs updated to BB10.
    Then the apps have to be designed in contrast with the device's UI and specs which are different from each other (legacy OS devices, PB and z10) keeping in mind that BB already lacks if not way behind then definitely quite far behind in apps from its competitors so that will also be a headache for RIM to make developers compose apps for three different devices.
    What I actually am guessing is that for the smooth running of the company and for a better focused approach towards the market BB will have to ditch its legacy OS at some point or the other.
    I myself am a 9900 user
    Any thoughts ?
    02-16-13 02:50 AM
    The word is burdening, not burdenising....
    As for RIM, I'm sure they know better. It's a big company with enough qualified people.
    jesse_h, anon(3896606) and bdguru like this.
    02-16-13 03:01 AM
    You call it burdenising...I call it initiative
    Crowezine and anon(3896606) like this.
    02-16-13 03:11 AM
    I believe RIM's priorities are clear at this point. BB10 > Playbook > Legacy OS.
    02-16-13 03:36 AM
    I believe RIM's priorities are clear at this point. BB10 > Playbook > Legacy OS.
    I don't think that they are putting the PB before legacy. It's at the same level. They no that if they ignore BB7, they would burn a bunch of bridges, especially within the government.
    Crowezine likes this.
    02-16-13 06:04 AM
    They may get rid of Legacy OS at some point, but not in the next 5 years or so. They still need to develop 10 to an equal potential. But I don;'t think they are going to make any more Legacy OS updates (like 8.0), from now on they're probably just going to keep it working. As far as the PlayBook goes, they're planning a PlayBook 2. Developers will still make apps - and as 10 OS was built upon PlayBook OS, most of 10's apps that are android ports are liquidizer (meaning they will fit to the size of a screen of the device it is being used upon), so they can make it available for the PlayBook too.
    02-16-13 08:53 AM
    If you look at it closely though, they have three OSes but they're almost exclusively focused on one. There isn't a lot of development going on for either BlackBerry 7 or PlayBook OS except for bug fixes. Eventually, BlackBerry 7 will fold and PlayBook will get Blackberry 10.
    02-16-13 09:20 AM
    You call it burdenising...I call it initiative
    Wrong, initiativising.
    m0de25 likes this.
    02-16-13 02:08 PM
    Well given that BB7 ( or lower) devices represent about 95 % of all existing devices and BB7 is a key factor in providing cheap sets in emerging markets, I think BB7 is still a big priority. Heins hints at new BlackBerry 7 device | TechCentral

The PB must be low on the totem pole ( guesstimate probably about 1.7 million alive today ) given the old technology and no doubt the change that will occur in the form factor. They should be concentrating on a replacement if any. At some point this year they should bring BB10 to the PB to honor a promise they made.
    02-16-13 02:49 PM
    RIM IS DEAD, GOD SAVE BLACKBERRY.

Listen, BB will do what it thinks best. If you don't like it, then don't buy the product or sell the stock, however you are invested.

I think there is a reason they dropped the playbook, it really needs BB10 and double the battery life. That said, it is a great device.

Conclusion: Stop armchairing it
    bdguru likes this.
    02-16-13 11:41 PM
    Both bb7 and pbos are basically just ticking over in maintenance mode at this point, the latter has probably just had its last few bugfixes and is done until they get round to the bb10 port and bb7 is getting updates for individual apps rather than new os releases, so neither is going to be a huge burden.
    02-17-13 06:06 AM
    Your a bit Late with your concern.
    02-17-13 07:20 AM
    BB has been quite clear about its intentions with respect to OSs. It has no intention of abandoning legacy OSs as it recognizes it has a large base of customers there. There will probably by maintenance updates to deal with specific problems, but nothing else.

TH has stated many times that BB10 is coming to the PlayBook ("later this year") and he has no intention of dropping the PlayBook. He has directed that another tablet be developed but will hold off on releasing it until the numbers make sense financially.

BB10 as an implementation of QNX for BB's devices is the only OS that BB in actively developing.

All in all, BB is quite focussed and not burdened by moving in too many directions with respect to the OS.
    02-17-13 06:02 PM