What he said. RIM would never make a iPod touch like device. Let's look at the first WiFi only BlackBerry. The PlayBook. The first ever WiFi tablet that required a subscription for email. A lot of people blasted RIM because of no email without bridge, but I honestly think that was the way they intended the PlayBook to always work. I don't think RIM was going to give the PlayBook native email until the backlash came. Bridge was RIM's way of making sure you didn't get email on a BlackBerry without paying them for it. Lol RIM needs to wake up. They can't get away with charging for email anymore. Its not like BlackBerry email blows away their competitors. To be honest my Android and Windows Phone 8 devices deliver email as fast or faster (depending on the account) as my BlackBerry. I get notifications on Twitter for Android before they arrive to Twitter for BlackBerry also. Blah, RIM needs to demonstrate the value of BIS for normal everyday consumers. Cause I'm not seeing it. Everyone else has push now also. Hopefully, the carriers flat out refuse to pay RIM for BIS. We probably won't get that lucky, but it would be nice.
    Everyone uses their devices differently. I'd never want my primary email on a tablet, but that's just me. I get my emails on my primary phone and my computer.

What I observe is that email is not used as much as it was in the past. People communicate with apps, FB, text, etc, so getting email on the tablet is not what its main use would be.

Oh, minor hijack here, but an important one. Most people don't realize it, but the carriers charge for BIS. You're not paying anything directly to RIM. At one time, BIS was the same price as a regular data plan, but the carriers decided to charge the users more if they had a BlackBerry. If you ask in the T-Mobile forum, there are some customers on grandfathered plans, who pay $10 for their BB data plans. I've had my plan since 2005, and pay $20 for unlimited BB data.
    12-04-12 12:33 PM
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question, some of these make great sense. However, now that BB10 has been out in the wild for about a month now and having seen the new UI, the media add-ons to Blackberry world, the new BBM (voice and video) and the multimedia capabilities, I still think Blackberry could pull this off...

I would get one if they came out with it.
    03-06-13 02:21 PM
    Here is just my input: Don't try to force the BlackBerry brand on your child just because you like it. I'm sure since he is a teenager the never-ending selection of apps and games available for the iPod Touch will suit him better than a just some old BBOS device. BlackBerry does not have any plans to make any iPod Touch like devices which is the smart thing to do since they know that Apple has that market locked up.
    richardat and Chris Marsch like this.
    03-06-13 02:34 PM
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question, some of these make great sense. However, now that BB10 has been out in the wild for about a month now and having seen the new UI, the media add-ons to Blackberry world, the new BBM (voice and video) and the multimedia capabilities, I still think Blackberry could pull this off...

I would get one if they came out with it.
    You might get one, but since the iPod is a much more established brand and basically has that market locked up, most people probably wouldn't. I can almost guarantee it wouldn't be very successful.
    03-06-13 02:35 PM
    I think this would be an distraction that is not needed right now. Samsung has not been all that successful with their version of an Samsung Galaxy Music player, which is in essence a defeatured mobile phone, even with their distribution power.

The Z10 is a great start on the road back.. stay in the lane, spend money where it makes sense and engineering time where it yields the most results.

You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended. You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked Sun Tzu
    03-06-13 03:29 PM
    I ditched my second gen ipod touch when I got my BlackBerry Torch 9810. Only missed two things. One, playing a few games (that I had bought). Two, fun with jailbreaking. But I would never go back to an ios device again!
    I am with you, but now...2nd gen ipod...what to do with it? Nothing...I wiped it and want to have a look in the AppWorld. No APP works...wth..
    Want to use it as a remote control for my MediaCenter, but no App works... unbelievable...Guess what? Cydia doesnt work anymore too...

At OP. Buy your Son a PlayBook 32GB. Better surfing...better for Movies...really good stereo sound for music...bigger screen for playing and cheaper.
    03-06-13 04:39 PM
    I got a 4th generation Touch to see if I'd like an iPhone. Many reviews harped about the antiquated and counter-intuition menus of BB. Well iPhone menus are in the same league e.g. Why are podcasts under the Music icon? It took me some time to stumble across where they were and then I couldn't find the NBC news podcast I downloaded. I thought they'd be in podcasts. Not at all they're in videos, completely inconsistent with their iTunes location on the computer. Also, the much praised "Flipbook" is unnecessarily cute. Give me the BB news app any day, simplicity is best. In case I'm being too negative on iOS6 I really do love the Kindle and Zenio apps but noway am I considering an iPhone now. Just waiting for Q10 to come out and see how it compares to my 9900.
    03-06-13 06:22 PM
    Here is just my input: Don't try to force the BlackBerry brand on your child just because you like it. I'm sure since he is a teenager the never-ending selection of apps and games available for the iPod Touch will suit him better than a just some old BBOS device. BlackBerry does not have any plans to make any iPod Touch like devices which is the smart thing to do since they know that Apple has that market locked up.
    Was going to say the same. It's fine - it's everyone's own choice - to get what they like, and choose what brand they want. If you want a BB product, and are willing to suffer through it's negatives because you feel the positives outweigh that, or out of brand loyalty, by all means do so.

Your son wants an ipod, so if you're going to get him anything, get him that (setting aside financial or disciplinary considerations).

He shouldn't' have to sit through:
    friends: "do you have (insert app)??"
    your son: "um....no...."

or
    friends: "hey we're all going to....(lol..I don' t know)...Imessage!"
    your son: "oh.."

Nor should he have to be subjected to: well I would get you something, I could get you something, and if BB ever makes something I will! Let's wait!

So suck it up, put aside your ideological considerations and be happy about getting him an ipod, and be nice about, and have real enthusiasm! Be a good dad!

Now if this were some important....religous/political/moral/ethical problem, then I might encourage you to take a stand, but despite what some portray here...it isn't! :-)
    ajst222 likes this.
    03-06-13 09:43 PM
33 12