I think the blackberry in general is slowly becoming the "iphone killer" take a look around my college campus and 95% of the population has a blackberry. Its just the easiest way to keep up with our professors, jobs, and social lives. I only know 2 or 3 people that have an iphone.

Edit: I have a pierced face too and have a blackberry. (nose lolz)
    Last edited by Sha Bby; 03-10-09 at 12:56 AM.
    03-10-09 12:54 AM
    I rock the eyebrow (3 peircings) nose, tounge, and lip

And I choose a BB for life, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 01:01 AM
    as much as i wanted to like the storm, i was typing on my cuzins for an hour or 2 and the one thing that bugged me was the screen clicker.
    i type so fast that while my right finger was pushing the button, before i let off the keyboard my left finger was on another button but the screen was still down from the original press.
    i dont know if any new os's are different but he still has the original os and i had to type alot slower allowing the screen to pop up from each click to type another letter.
    has anybody had this problem or was i having early storm woes.
    i do like the idea of the sure press of the storm but on my lunch break i stopped at an apple store today and fooled around with an iphone and i really like how the letter you push enlarges when you touch it.
    i honestly though i would have had a very tough time typing on the iphone but it was suprisingly easy. i dont know about mobile typing though while i am driving (i mean no i dont do that, lol)
    it just seems like every type of transition you do on the iphone goes so smooth.

dont get me wrong i am very anti iphone. i believe someday someone will come out with a phone that will have as much hype as the iphone and i am hoping it is BB but i tend to stay with the underdog. i dont believe BB is the underdog in the phone dept but switching between apps and having as many apps and being such a multi media phone i have to say iphone wins.

i am in it more for the constant connection with the world and super fast email retrival so i am sticking and still loving my curve.

Typing really speeds up with practice i'm almost back to my old curve speed.
    03-10-09 01:02 AM
    I rock the eyebrow (3 peircings) nose, tounge, and lip

And I choose a BB for life, lol

more power to us!
    03-10-09 01:04 AM
    **** yeah apparently we are the BB freaks, lol

03-10-09 01:57 AM
    If the iPhone is the best phone then a honda civic with a body kit is the best sports car out there.....
    03-10-09 02:57 AM
    And only time will tell if the iphone is still hot in the next 3 yrs or if a company will out due apple

The iPhone's popularity isn't due to features its due to aesthetics. People largely buy it due to its status more then its ability.

Do you realize how important to most users MMS is? Most iPhone users don't use the iPhone any differently then an iPod Touch user.
    03-10-09 03:04 AM
    If the iPhone is the best phone then a honda civic with a body kit is the best sports car out there.....
    It's not whats on the outside, but what's on the inside. Inside, the OS on the iPhone is the most polished of any phone I've seen.

Take that honda civic and throw in a stage 4 turbo and now you're beating $50-60 thousand dollar cars.
    03-10-09 10:05 AM
    The iPhone's popularity isn't due to features its due to aesthetics. People largely buy it due to its status more then its ability.

Do you realize how important to most users MMS is? Most iPhone users don't use the iPhone any differently then an iPod Touch user.
    Why pay $2-$4 dollars per MMS (for non-unlimited plans) when you can send the pic via email for FREE.

I don't see a point to sending a SLOW MMS when you can email the pic.

MMS argument is null. And by the way, as I mentioned earlier, the iPhone has the capability to send/receive MMS. Just not with the stock firmware.
    03-10-09 10:06 AM
    ]I think the blackberry in general is slowly becoming the "iphone killer" take a look around my college campus and 95% of the population has a blackberry[/B]. Its just the easiest way to keep up with our professors, jobs, and social lives. I only know 2 or 3 people that have an iphone.

Edit: I have a pierced face too and have a blackberry. (nose lolz)
    Yeppers. I agree with that assertion. Very slow, but BBs are starting to take over a bit.
    03-10-09 10:10 AM
    Plenty of straights have iphones too.
    03-10-09 10:27 AM
    It's not whats on the outside, but what's on the inside. Inside, the OS on the iPhone is the most polished of any phone I've seen.

Take that honda civic and throw in a stage 4 turbo and now you're beating $50-60 thousand dollar cars.
    i will have to agree and disagree.
    i agree with the iphone os being pretty damn easy and stable
    but i have to dissagree with the civic statement. you would need to put 20k into a civic in order for it to even think of keeping up with an evo.
    put 1600 in an evo and the civic wont have a chance.
    i race on the weekends and i see so many civics and integras with aprox 20-30k into their h22a motor (the one all civic drivers like to put in their cars) my buddy has an 08 ev0 ix and he has about $1600 in his car and by the time he is in 3rd or 4th gear the civics and integras are approx 20 car lrngths behind and falling

sorry for the rant. i really like modding cars, lol

Why pay $2-$4 dollars per MMS (for non-unlimited plans) when you can send the pic via email for FREE.

MMS argument is null. And by the way, as I mentioned earlier, the iPhone has the capability to send/receive MMS. Just not with the stock firmware.
    i have to agree. i was upset that the curve couldnt do pic messaging but then i realized i probably send about 10 pics a year anyways. they can always do it the way us sprint curve people did it for the past year, lol
    email it. i think it goes through faster in an email anyways
    03-10-09 04:05 PM
    I think comparing BB's to the iPhone is apples to oranges unless you're comparing the Storm to the iPhone. I haven't used the Storm, but I do have a Curve and an iTouch. I love my iTouch for all the apps, but HATE typing on it (it SUCKS!!!!) and would NEVER get an iPhone. I love my BB for email, GoogleMaps (especially for the subway system) BBM and RSS reader. I love my iTouch for Twitter, Facebook, games, Kindle book reader, and surfing the internet. Depending on what I'm doing will determine which device I use. I'm torn on Twitter because I love the Twitter app for iTouch better but like I mentioned previously, I hate typing on the iTouch.

I think that having these two devices is the best of both worlds though - you can have everything great about the BB and everything great about the Apple device.
    03-10-09 07:38 PM
    I am just not an Apple fan; it is just not for me. I have tried the Touch, but I ended up using my ol' handy Sony mp3 player after a while. It is just not my cup of latte.

03-10-09 07:57 PM
    first, RIM would have to MURDER the SurePress screan. It's terrible in my opinion. And the apps would have to be more fun! Also, landscape keyboard, THREADED SMS, keep MMS, better browser, and I like how the iPhone's screen completely touches the edges of the phone. Not sure if the 3G does, but this picture in a magazine of the old one does. (Some of these were things BlackBerry has, some iPhone has, and some just in general)
    03-10-09 08:22 PM

Exactly; you're missing the entire point of MMS.

I once thought like you when I was on Sprint. I thought "why bother with MMS; e-mail is cheaper and just as easy". I was wrong.

Without MMS I was unable to quickly send images to many of my friend's phones and receiving them was a ***** (had to go through Pocket IE and login to Sprint's site). Very few "regular" phones have e-mail capability and even fewer of those have users that know how to setup e-mail.

MMS is instant (like an SMS). It's easy to use, works with practically every phone in existance, and doesn't require data usage. Many of my friends have crappy flip phones and don't need to waste money on a data plan; they can just use MMS.
    03-10-09 09:14 PM
    MMS is not instant. SMS is instant because the max a single SMS can be is 160 bytes. You know how much data that is? 1 megabyte, which could be on average the size of a uncompressed picture, is over 1,000,000 bytes.

You hit it on the head though.. MMS is for people living in the stone age with cheap flip phones that probably wont ever have anything better.

So in your specific need, MMS works. But for the rest of us with data phones, Blackberrys, iPhones, Windows Mobile phones that all have data plans, emailing the picture is faster and guaranteed to not be a PITA to retrieve. Also guaranteed to not cost you or the receiving person $2-$4 dollars.

MMS goes over the voice band, so it sends very slowly. This is why no data is needed. Sending an emailed pic goes over data, which can send anywhere from 12k-30k a second and the receiving person get's it even faster.
    03-11-09 10:54 AM
    I didn't mean MMS was instant. I meant that it's a push notification which works well for cell phones. I understand your points but I don't think we're going to be able to move away from MMS for at least another 5 years or so.

To be honest I'd rather see SMS, MMS and E-Mail replaced by a muti-purpose protocol that uses push notifications but we'll see if that ever happens.
    Last edited by Kasracer; 03-11-09 at 11:47 AM.
    03-11-09 11:38 AM
    Well, when the typical email is 5-40k and free and the typical SMS is 160 bytes at .15 cents each, it wont go away anytime soon. The carrier's like shoveling our money in as they laugh at us all the way to the bank.

If we paid the same rates for email as people do for SMS, we'd all have like 1 million dollar cell bills. lol..
    03-11-09 11:47 AM
    I believe these two devices can't compare. The iPhone is a mass consumer device with minimal B2B functionality while the BlackBerry on the other hand is a business power house. Any thoughts?
    03-12-09 10:55 AM
    I don't agree with that argument, I think by releasing the Storm, RIM clearly wanted to develop a multimedia phone that was if not directly then indirectly competing with the iPhone.

You can complain about copy-paste and MMS all you want, but if you compare the Storm and the iPhone, I think the iPhone takes the cake. Here I am specifically mentioning the Storm and not BB's in general.

However, I am giving the Storm sometime though, say 3 months into the app store will be the best time to draw a conclusion there. Because really past the "wow" factor, the iPhone really has the apps going for it. From great games to very useful apps (Shazam, Facebook app, Tweetie etc) to utter useless ones (beer, fart et all) the iPhone has it covered. If the Storm can get such a dev base and deliver good apps at an affordable price, then it could stand its ground.
    03-12-09 01:09 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD