I was in the mac store this weekend a decided to have a go on the iphone, i was amazed at how good the internet was......like being on a real pc. So how comes the berrys internet isnt as good, and will it improve with the release of the 9000 series??
    03-31-08 05:58 AM
    Seems fine to me. =)

Not sure what makes you think it's not. Same Internet.

Patrick
    03-31-08 06:24 AM
    OperaMini will do for me until Firefox Mobile is released.
    03-31-08 06:29 AM
    You're in the store of course its going to seem amazing. Besides it's going to look nicer on the iphone other than that if rather have a bb for battery life, performance and stability. Keep in mind internet speed is based on carrier not phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-08 06:42 AM
    Intresting.
    What's the comparison to? Which BB you been using and compared it to Iphone?
    Haven't used an Iphone before so would like to know.

03-31-08 06:45 AM
    I would saythat while in the store, you are probably looking at internet over WiFi through the store's broadband connection. It won't show you internet speed over AT&T's network in the store.

A fair comparison would be looking at a WiFi BB using Opera Mini when comparing internet speed. The iPhone internet features are pretty nice, though.
    03-31-08 08:00 AM
    What he saw in the store would be the same out store, just slower if he's on EDGE.

The reason the iPhone's web browser is faster is because of WebKit, which helps renders pages faster and better looking.

Android devices will more than likely use the same, but RIM doesn't seem as though they are picking this up anytime soon.

The 9000 with 3g will load up a bit faster, but it will not render the pages as good as the iPhone, unless the somehow get WebKit on there before the release.
    03-31-08 08:09 AM
    If you're buying a phone just for web capabilities just get a ultra portable laptop! lol jk
    03-31-08 08:11 AM
    Opera Mini is pretty good
    03-31-08 08:45 AM
    Honestly you shouldn't be buying a PHONE simly for internet but to each it's own. Otherwise yes the iphone does display web pages as if it real I agree.

03-31-08 10:13 AM
    did you tried your bb with the same service ??
    03-31-08 11:49 AM
    Yeah, the internet is store is good & having had an iPhone before my BB, I'll say it is good. But the internet on my BB isn't chopped liver either. It's good enough for daily use on my behalf.. and the BB is a more heavy-use-friendly device. I had the iPhone for about 3 weeks before realizing it's more of a social/fun phone than a work AND play phone.

Versatility is the key & BB has it.
    03-31-08 11:53 AM
    Yeah, the internet is store is good & having had an iPhone before my BB, I'll say it is good. But the internet on my BB isn't chopped liver either. It's good enough for daily use on my behalf.. and the BB is a more heavy-use-friendly device. I had the iPhone for about 3 weeks before realizing it's more of a social/fun phone than a work AND play phone.

Versatility is the key & BB has it.
    The iphone was designed to appeal to a certain person. Folks who like BB are more into functionality as well as aesthetics. If you compared the iphone against BB with pure power and functionality I would say the iphone would lose easily.

Oh and HI shey shey lol
    03-31-08 12:02 PM
    The iPhone does have exceptional web browsing capabilities, the screen is larger and the controls are less tiny. It also has many gigabytes of built-in memory - all definite advantages.

However, it also tends to be slower and is less "open" in the sense of software availability and customization. The battery cannot be easily changed, and it has no removable memory.

With a good voice command service and some labor-saving software enhancements, as well as learning how to use all the features, a Berry can be as easy to use as the iPhone, while retaining its integral features.

I wouldn't mind the Berry going to a highly capable touchscreen in the future, though. I'd also like to see more internal memory, and the ability to use removable memory to store software on. Also, the camera needs a lens cover, and it would be nice if Blackberry could contract with a protective cover company (like Zagg) to offer the option of having this stuff pre-installed from the factory.
    03-31-08 02:14 PM
    I can't believe this is a discussion.

The iPhone's internet (I'm gonna assume browser) is top-tier. BBbrowser = hideous. Opera Mini = good attempt.
    03-31-08 08:56 PM
    Having had four iPhones in the past...and three BlackBerrys...I can attest to the supremacy of the iPhone web display capability. The iPhones Safari browser simply beats the BB browser hands down...but that's what the iPhone is all about. It's a media device first and foremost...and a communication device a distant second.

But...although the BB browser isn't as robust as that of the iPhone...I can also attest to the maddeninly slug-slow loading of most web pages on the iPhone as compared to the much faster and efficient action on the BlackBerry. No, the BB doesn't display in full HTML (unless you have the BBSmart viewer or the Empower software)...it does what it does quickly and reliably.

With 3G coming to the iPhone soon, the slothful rate transfer of data might improve greatly...but as it is now, the iPhone simply isn't "all that" IMO.
    03-31-08 09:09 PM
    Honestly, I'm not that concerned about the browser or I would use one of my laptops
    03-31-08 09:21 PM
    Part of the appeal to me of a smartphone (of any kind) to begin with was the ability to have a web browser of some sort with me all the time, and I don't want to carry a laptop in a large holster case. The BB browser fulfills this role - just barely - but enough to get by on, most of the time. You can download task-specific software until the cows come home, but the Web is the equivalent of millions of pieces of software - more than you could ever hope to have on a single device.

However, I don't see where future upgrades to an iPhone-type display would take away from the Berry's functionality in any way. Everything would improve, and the screen would be much larger. Also, you'd be able to use the web anywhere - which is obviously in demand, as it is apparently quite popular.

Multimedia upgrades don't detract from the usefulness of the Blackberry. Maybe you don't use the camera to goof off with, but you can image business cards and put them into Evernote, or hold an impromptu teleconference with the video camera, photograph property on the fly if you don't have a real camera, etc.
    03-31-08 09:55 PM
    I know people who have the iphone and poclet windows or whatever they are and they all say that my interent is faster than theirs which puts a little berry on my face

03-31-08 11:22 PM
    I can't believe this is a discussion.

The iPhone's internet (I'm gonna assume browser) is top-tier. BBbrowser = hideous. Opera Mini = good attempt.
    agreed, i have an ipod Itouch. and frankly, it kicks the living day lights out of my BB's browser usage. i cant count how many nights i lay in bed browsing the web with it. while true its wifi, and not carrier dependent net connection, my boss at work has one and its a great browser, media player etc.

heres what i think, this is crackberry.com, a completely devoted community of bb users, its no wonder theres some hate for the iphones, treos, and other smart phones.

but, if sprint would have had the iphone... i have no doubt in my mind i would have purchased it instead of my bb, as much as i like my bb.
    no BB comes close to displaying a web page like safari does, and the touch typing is really good on them to.
    and heres the beauty of the itouch.. i dont need to fire up a big honkin laptop to check my email, or forum posts with the iphone/touch. its a more than satisfactory replacement for small tasks.

again, i love my pearl, and use it quite extensively, but if sprint could ever get the iphone.. or i left for AT&T.. yeah.. goodbye bb.
    04-01-08 04:16 AM
    agreed, i have an ipod Itouch. and frankly, it kicks the living day lights out of my BB's browser usage. i cant count how many nights i lay in bed browsing the web with it. while true its wifi, and not carrier dependent net connection, my boss at work has one and its a great browser, media player etc.

heres what i think, this is crackberry.com, a completely devoted community of bb users, its no wonder theres some hate for the iphones, treos, and other smart phones.

but, if sprint would have had the iphone... i have no doubt in my mind i would have purchased it instead of my bb, as much as i like my bb.
    no BB comes close to displaying a web page like safari does, and the touch typing is really good on them to.
    and heres the beauty of the itouch.. i dont need to fire up a big honkin laptop to check my email, or forum posts with the iphone/touch. its a more than satisfactory replacement for small tasks.

again, i love my pearl, and use it quite extensively, but if sprint could ever get the iphone.. or i left for AT&T.. yeah.. goodbye bb.

Agreed with compleatly,

dont get me wrong i love the berry but i think the internet needs improving. im a newbie so i dont know all the in's and out's and technical terminology, ill look into downloading opera mini though.

its not so much the speed of the net on the iphone as i know it was on wifi instore, it was more the quallity of it..........the net on the berry, take facebook for example is the actual real net as appose to whats on the berry. i am restricted at work so i cant carry a laptop around with me thats why a smartphone device is ideal for me, i am just wondering if RIM will improve things in the future?
    04-01-08 04:37 AM
    I recently had the iphone but then switched to a bb curve...

the iphone internet is AMAZING! It is comparable to having a tablet pc. Web pages loads EXCATLY as you would see them on your computer screen. The downfall is that it eats the battery (I could only use the internet for 1-2 hours on a full charge) and as a phone - the iphone is awful: poor call quality, horrible reception, numerous dropped calls....

the bb is by far more reliable and has way better reception - however the internet is archaic compared to iphone.. i still miss the iphone's internet everytime im scrolling the d*mn trackball trying to get to the middle of the page... lol
    04-01-08 08:00 PM
    Seasons why the iPhone Internet is good: Excellent web browser, good interface and navigation, big screen for excellent viewing and easy methods of zooming in and out on a web page.

Reasons why the iPhone Internet is bad: EDGE network. I rarely was ever in a WiFi connected area, so most of my browsing was done over EDGE. It's so slow and annoying, I found myself not even using the browser. More time was spent waiting for a page to load than anything else.

My new Pearl is a step backwards as far as usability and application performance, but the network makes up for the negatives. Browsing pages on the Pearl is SO much faster than the iPhone.

This is all my opinion of course.
    04-02-08 10:34 AM
    ofcourse the iphone's browser is better! The browser on the iphone is just like using the net on a pc whether its on edge or wifi! The bb browser is a regular "mobile browser" it sucks! Thats the only thing that makes me miss my iphone!
    04-02-08 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD