why would you need iOS for school? what difference does what OS you're running make to the school?

lets get real, you just needed a little more of a push to go the iPhone route deep down you were convinced to but you didn't know if it was worth it
    I'm not so sure. Maybe this is a medical student? I know there are iOS only applications availabe for the medical field.
    Doc Z likes this.
    09-12-12 02:20 PM
    No victory party for RIM yet. The IP5 will sell very well just like the BBOS 5 devices.
    The iPhone is stale in my book but that's just me and there are millions who are just waiting for an incremental upgrade.
    Apple will get by on this one but if they continue this trend through IP6 and IP7 they will find themselves where RIM found itself in 2011. Can't say I blame Apple here. They have a huge legacy ecosystem to support (Apple ecosystem is Legacy now. It's old). It still has some $$$s to be made and why would Apple mess with a good thing.
    Good opportunity for BB10. Results will show in a couple of years. Anyone expecting BB10 to gallop away to success in North America is living in a dream world.
    But it would outsell the iPhone in Indonesia, India etc...the growth areas for RIM. I don't see the iPhone 5 doing well in these countries. And these countries are the volume crunchers in the next few years.
    09-12-12 02:22 PM
    I'm not so sure. Maybe this is a medical student? I know there are iOS only applications availabe for the medical field.
    You got it. Thank you for not making random assumptions and accusing people of just needing a random "push" to go with the iPhone.
    brucep1 and Rello like this.
    09-12-12 02:23 PM
    To quote a title from a famous country artist - "That Don't Impress Me Much"

I am in the hunt for a new device as I lost my BB9900 about a month ago. I was waiting to see what Apple brought to the table in terms of the next iPhone, but nothing was there that had me jumping for joy and running to Telus next Friday to sign a new contract. Ok, it's slightly larger. I had the One X and it felt clumsy in my hands so right there that is a disadvantage. Has LTE well so does every other new smartphone hitting the market. Siri is getting an upgrade, big deal. As I have Apple everything else, what I am looking forward to, is the new itunes update.

I will wait it out with a prepaid until BB10. There will be notifications, a physical keyboard (if desired), apps (on par with the other OS's), security, possibly expandable storage (although not confirmed as of yet, I don't think) and a removable battery.

What the am I smoking Siri is available in Canada. :P
    Last edited by blackhawksfan75; 09-12-12 at 02:35 PM.
    09-12-12 02:25 PM
    You got it. Thank you for not making random assumptions and accusing people of just needing a random "push" to go with the iPhone.
    so why wouldn't you have gotten a pre 5 iPhone? if this is the case, why keep a blackberry when you need these apps
    09-12-12 02:26 PM
    Figured. The medical field has been riding iOS hard for 3 or 4 years now.
    09-12-12 02:26 PM
    People expect to be wowed and amazed at each new iPhone becuase Apple has set the bar so high.

The update announced today was a good one. Bigger and better screen, better camera, dual core processor, LTE, dual band 802.11 n WiFi, 18% thinner, and better battery life than the 4S.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 09-12-12 at 03:33 PM.
    Doc Z, pri79269 and richardat like this.
    09-12-12 02:28 PM
    Siri is getting an upgrade, big deal since it's not even available in Canada (as far as I know).
    Siri has been available in Canada since it was launched on the 4S.
    09-12-12 02:29 PM
    so why wouldn't you have gotten a pre 5 iPhone? if this is the case, why keep a blackberry when you need these apps
    I liked my BB for work before med school. And for texting. These days I'm not having much use for the keyboard anymore as school just consumes my life. And my priorities have changed, iOS is much more important than anything else at this point. I was just waiting for an iPhone with a bigger screen and LTE, hopefully better battery life as well. Got my iPad to tide me over until I make the transition.
    09-12-12 02:31 PM
    People expect to be wowed and amazed at each new iPhone becuase Apple has set the bar so high.

The update announced today was a good one. Bigger and better screen, better camera, LTE, dual band 802.11 n WiFi, 18% thinner, and better battery life than the 4S.
    The only thing I was impressed with was the battery life. The fact that they made a 4G LTE device with a better battery than their latest 3G device wowed me.
    09-12-12 02:31 PM
    Seeing the new Iphone gives me hope for BlackBerry. If BlackBerry comes out with BB10, A better/comparable screen..better/comparable battery life..looks like BlackBerry will have the superior phone.

- BBM
    - NFC
    - Siri like integration
    - Better email

So far looks like BB10 will have everything Iphone5 has plus some...as long as it doesn't look like crap of course
    Last edited by Jackson5558087; 09-12-12 at 02:36 PM.
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-12-12 02:33 PM
    I'm thinking even some of the most die-hard iphone fans are thinking, "Uh, yeah, ok I guess . . wait . . what?! . . um, ok" Something like that
    JR A and gokulesh like this.
    09-12-12 02:33 PM
    The new Windows phone definitely looks stronger. Most importantly, there is now room for consumer options.

And the docking adapter... $30 bucks to be able to use all your current docking compatible devices. CHA-CHING!! Instead of doing what everyone else is doing (micro-usb), Apple will force people to change and call it innovation or revolutionizing. It's more like consumer raping.

But when you have people hypnotized, you can do whatever you want. Man I hope BB10 is the truth. If not, I'm still not biting the Apple.
    09-12-12 02:36 PM

The update announced today was a good one. Bigger and better screen, better camera, LTE, dual band 802.11 n WiFi, 18% thinner, and better battery life than the 4S.
    Although I agree with you. Battery life has to be yet to seen. They said the 4S had better battery life too. But it wasn't all that good.

But yes, definitely a good update. 4" screen is finally a nice upgrade. I'm thinking the A6 processor is now on the Cortex-A15 because of the "2x faster" title.

Phone looks REALLY nice also. The metal adds so much elegance to it.

But is it enough to make me go out and get one? Not even a bit. But the mass public, might be. Consumers might just be looking for a better alternative to come along.
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-12-12 02:40 PM
    LOL @ BB enthusiasts calling current products on ANY other platform underwhelming. Now that is funny.

While the new iPhone won't pull me away, I still find the sum total of Apple's mobile offerings VERY compelling.
    09-12-12 02:44 PM
    ...and it has an enormous ecosystem that absolutely destroys any other "cool" or "advanced" features other OSes may have...
    You mean that huge ecosystem that has 400,000 apps that have never been downloaded and nearly 2,000 flashlight apps?
    09-12-12 02:47 PM
    Although I agree with you. Battery life has to be yet to seen. They said the 4S had better battery life too. But it wasn't all that good.

But yes, definitely a good update. 4" screen is finally a nice upgrade. I'm thinking the A6 processor is now on the Cortex-A15 because of the "2x faster" title.

Phone looks REALLY nice also. The metal adds so much elegance to it.
    True, battery life can be very subjective. That said, I would consider it impressive if the iPhone 5 equals the battery life of the 4S while the 5 is using LTE.

The upgraded CPU was also a big part of today's announcement. Everything I;ve read so far says it is a Cortex-A15 unit.
    09-12-12 02:47 PM
    I was a little tip off when they said the phone had a panorama camera. I was like "didn't RIM come up with this several months ago?" I wonder if BB10 get released and Apple decides to sue them. I am looking forward to the Ipod touch but even still Apple just take ideas from other people and just polishes them. What have they even invented?

Correct me if I am wrong.
    09-12-12 02:48 PM
    LOL @ BB enthusiasts calling current products on ANY other platform underwhelming. Now that is funny.

While the new iPhone won't pull me away, I still find the sum total of Apple's mobile offerings VERY compelling.
    Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that Apple is the industry leader becuase they have an amazing mobile system. It's not just the hardware, apps, or integration with their other products but rather the sum of all this.
    09-12-12 02:49 PM
    Lets be honest--- Everyone is saying it's underwhelming and it's going to break sales records. Again.

It's faster and more refined and there are new features. It may not be a whole new OS but people like ios....

Android hasn't changed that much either. Windows phone is not going to take off. BB10 has a chance. That's about it.

So for BB enthusiasts (I am one) to call the new iphone underwhelming is laughable. Don't forget the ecosystem as well.
    09-12-12 02:50 PM
    The only thing I was impressed with was the battery life. The fact that they made a 4G LTE device with a better battery than their latest 3G device wowed me.
    I was underwhelmed. Having read through the review my first question was "That's it?" Although I think it can be looked at as a "good" upgrade, it feels like Apple since Steve passed on has lost their mojo somewhat, and certainly the wow factor was not there. It doesn't look very different. It feels like they are playing it "safe", something Steve Jobs would probably never have done, he would have found some way to bring innovation front and centre. Some are saying why mess with what's already working... but he would have found a way to bring more of a spark, more innovation in a time of intense competition. He was all about the "WOW" never satisfied with just good enough or, just good.

Most of what was announced today has been on the competition's phones for some time. Samsung has nothing to worry about, they can just carry on gaining market share while Apple focus on the numbers like any other company. I was surprised they didn't take advantage of introducing NFC. Oh well.

I still believe the iphone 5 will sell millions though. Those who like/love them will get them. And to Apple's credit, it's going to be available and in people's hot little hands in a week or two... impressive. None of this not available yet rubbish (Nokia), or worse not available/not even built until sometime next year (a la RIM).

My colleague who was waiting to hear what the new iphone was like was equally unimpressed. He has a Blackberry OS6, was waiting for the iphone 5 and now he's thinking of getting the SGIII. I said he should go and see the iphone when it's in the stores... he may warm to it. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it when my hubby gets his ip5.

What a great time it is to be in Technology :-)
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 09-12-12 at 03:00 PM.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    09-12-12 02:54 PM
    I think RIM has to push NFC apps like the electronic wallet for all it is worth to distinguish itself from Apple.
    09-12-12 02:55 PM
    I agree, I am in no way suggesting that the iPhone 5 is monumental in any way. But is it enough to win me over and finally leave BB? Yes. That's the reality for countless people. So many of my friends were aware of the iPhone 5 rumors and were still willing to drop their Androids/BBs.
    I am curious if there was something announced today that pushed you over the edge or did you have your mind made up a while ago that you were leaving when iPhone5 comes out? I agree this phone will sell better than any before it, but if you have held onto to BB for this long only to leave for a device that is a small upgrade from the previous, why not just wait a few more months and see what BB10 will actually be like before deciding?
    09-12-12 02:57 PM
    The iPhone 5 has some cool improvements (like improving upon that God awful battery life), and I'm sure some people tempted by larger screen Androids will appreciate the extra half inch of screen. But there was nothing mind blowingly cool about the iPhone 5. Sales will obviously be huge, but really, the iPhone 5 continues to be a thicker iPod touch with cellular connectivity.

Multitasking is still that "in and out" that Thorsten Heins was talking about, which is painfully obvious if you're used to using a PlayBook, but also use an iPod touch running iOS5 like I do many times a day.

iOS 6 looks like iOS5, which looks like iOS4. And the physical design looks like the 4/4S, with lighter paint on the back. iPhone fans will obviously be lining up on day one, and for days after that, but I'd say RIM is in a pretty good position to be in, all things considered.

Had the iPhone came out with a 12mp camera, a screen with better resolution than BlackBerry 10 (BB10's is better), revamped email and iMessage with even half the features that BBM has, with FaceTime that Apple stopped carriers from charging extra for (at&t requires a family plan to use FaceTime over their network), or some crazy cool cross platform messaging application that could be downloaded on other platforms, truly making Apple the leader in mobile messaging, I'd say things would look pretty bad for RIM. But none of that happened, and the iPhone 5 really surprised no one.
    Last edited by SK122387; 09-12-12 at 02:59 PM.
    Serious question, what does the iPhone 5 has that the iPhone 4S doesn't has but is enough to win you over?
    Because from what I see, besides a larger screen and LTE it's all just the same...

Front Camera improved from 0.3MP to 720p with BSI for HD chats in low light conditions
    Rear camera improved with newer optics, better optical stabilization, better lowlight performance, sharper images.

CPU changed from Dual core to Quad core...Reportedly 2x faster
    GPU changed to quad core...reportedly 2x faster. Most likely the same GPU in the iPad 3 which would make it outperform the Galaxy S III
    Screen quality increased with better color saturation
    Battery life improved
    Microphones and speakers improved.

Body changed from all glass to aluminium backing. Considering how much you guys complained the phone being 'made of all glass', i'd have thought you'd be happier about the glass + aluminium hybrid
538 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD