Haven't we now run this into the ground?

Can someone fire up the "why the iPhone 6 will be a flop" thread and we can just cut and paste the material from here into it and save ourselves a lot of time.
    09-18-12 07:38 AM
    This thread makes me want a SGS3 even more!
    09-18-12 07:43 AM
    IF this were the second year only of selling out I'd agree with you.

But the fact that Apple who is an apparent genius of supply chain management can't predict preorder volumes to a measurable manner says they are STUPID, and we all know that not to be true.

Apple isn't LOSING sales with the PreOrder, those who are going to PreOrder are the same ones who will buy the device once it launches because they missed the preOrder, a preOrder is usually used to secure funds and reduce wait times.

Foxconn the chief Manufacturer of the iPhone can produce an estimated 400,000 devices a day due to their expansion, Apple certainly had the final designs done 1 month before, lets assume foxconn only allocates 75% to Apple making 300k units per day, 1 weeks of manufacturing would be 1.8Million units (Foxconn employees work day work weeks, I'll assume the 7th day the plant is closed)

Apple is all about the showmanship of selling the iPhone, and the showmanship IS selling out, and people wanting it still, it IS people camping out over night to be first in line, and it is again going to sell out on opening day, as a manufacturer they see the trends, they've got a grasp on the demand and they have people to extrapolate numbers for predictions.
    I stand by the assertion that The sell out was a deliberate marketing tool, every year they sell double the previous year. pretty great graphing plots.
    I can't see arguing the strategy of the most successful company ever. RIM should be so lucky.
    09-18-12 08:03 AM
    Apple's products appeal to a large demographic. Obviously the produce a product that works for them.
    They are currently riding an impressive crest. Eventually that crest will crash. But until then......what a ride!!!!

I like their products. I use an iPod. I've got an iPad. Their phones work for me.

If I had to give up a phone, I'd turn an iPhone in and keep my BB. I no longer have to denigrate one to profess my preference for the other. Different products, different approaches.

And It's not all marketing. Their products have their place and as sales figure tell us, many agree.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    09-18-12 09:30 AM
    This thread makes me want a SGS3 even more!
    You gave me a good chuckle! GREAT line! Truth be told different devices work for different people. Myself I have devices on 3 different platforms and I appreciate them ALL!
    OniBerry, TgeekB and hpjrt like this.
    09-18-12 10:02 AM
    You gave me a good chuckle! GREAT line! Truth be told different devices work for different people. Myself I have devices on 3 different platforms and I appreciate them ALL!
    Why limit yourself to just one side of the equation. Can't know how good/bad you have it until you see how the other side lives Even if only for a brief time.
    09-18-12 10:08 AM
    I like their products. I use an iPod. I've got an iPad. Their phones work for me.

If I had to give up a phone, I'd turn an iPhone in and keep my BB. I no longer have to denigrate one to profess my preference for the other.
    I agree with every thing you said, except I would keep the iPhone. My iPhone works way better and is way more reliable and dependable than the BBs I had. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sir.dangerfield likes this.
    09-18-12 03:55 PM
    And It's not all marketing. Their products have their place and as sales figure tell us, many agree.
    Oh, I think a lot of it is marketing, free press and the hype. Trainloads of technically stupid and illiterate people make up a good chunk of those sales figures.
    09-18-12 09:19 PM
    Oh, I think a lot of it is marketing, free press and the hype. Trainloads of technically stupid and illiterate people make up a good chunk of those sales figures.
    The same thing most likely applies to the other players as well. Including BB. :O
    09-18-12 09:22 PM
    The same thing most likely applies to the other players as well. Including BB. :O
    I had someone come in today who didn't know how to answer their BB. After figuring out that they only needed a phone for basic use, like flip phone use, I asked why they let a sales person (from another carrier) talk them into a 9900. They asked for a BB specifically. The reason?

"People will think I'm important"

If I could have, I would have banged my head on the desk. .

I have jawbone shards coming out of my gums ! from using Tapatalk.
    09-18-12 11:05 PM
    Last year Apple sold 4 Million first week

SO For Apple to be Sensible and ANYONE building budgets and stocking predictions would think this way, Apples PreOrder sales if they didn't want to deliberately backorder would be equal atleast to the first week sales of 4 Million
    by doing 2 Million available units all they did was ensure they set a new record! ensure they have big demand on launch day, and make sure they can hit next years new record, and big demand on launch day.
    You're assuming they purposely made too few phones available, to see record sales.

A much more realistic explanation would be, that they simply didn't have time to prepare a stock of 4 or 6 or 8 million iPhones only for pre sales. The A6 CPU is a brand new design, so yields aren't as high as they'd like them to be yet. And Sharp, one of the biggest display suppliers for Apple, only got over their production problems for the brand new displays that the iPhone 5 uses a couple of weeks ago.

So would you expect Apple to delay their launch, just so they can fulfill their preorders? Hardly.

And my I emphasize, while I'm sure Apple does appreciate the positive PR that they get from selling out of their preorders, that doesn't mean that Apple deliberately pursued this.
    09-19-12 02:43 AM
    You're assuming they purposely made too few phones available, to see record sales.

A much more realistic explanation would be, that they simply didn't have time to prepare a stock of 4 or 6 or 8 million iPhones only for pre sales. The A6 CPU is a brand new design, so yields aren't as high as they'd like them to be yet. And Sharp, one of the biggest display suppliers for Apple, only got over their production problems for the brand new displays that the iPhone 5 uses a couple of weeks ago.

So would you expect Apple to delay their launch, just so they can fulfill their preorders? Hardly.

And my I emphasize, while I'm sure Apple does appreciate the positive PR that they get from selling out of their preorders, that doesn't mean that Apple deliberately pursued this.

Just to add and as has been mentioned before, Apple DOUBLED the units available for preorder from last year. I would imagine that for any other manufacturer that would be considered an optimistic projection.
    09-19-12 02:51 AM
    As some of you will notice, there has been some comments deleted.. I'm not trying to stifle the conversation here.. a lot of the replies made to some certain *generalizations* made were truly awesome.. however to help avoid that topic altogether I've removed the starting point of that convo and most of the stuff in-between.

And for the love of all things technological, can we please cut back on the hate.. Sheesh.. at the end of the day it's just a smartphone no matter how you look at it. Seriously. Unreal.
    09-19-12 07:24 AM
538 ... 202122
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD