Im trying to decide what phone I want to upgrade too. What are your honest thoughts on the pros of the new bold and then pros of the new unlocked iPhone 4s?

and I am a love of blackberry but I also am an apple lover as well I just want to see what people who have these devices think.
    05-04-12 05:00 PM
    You say "upgrade" so I'm assuming there is a carrier subsidy involved? In which case the bold because you cannot get an unlocked iPhone subsidized.
    05-04-12 05:02 PM
    If you enjoy both Apple and BlackBerry's OS then the Iphone4s
    is a better phone.

xandermac has a point if you are on T-mobile Bold is the clear answer.
    Also an unlock iPhone 4S will always be on the slow Edge 2g network on T-mobile.
    05-04-12 05:13 PM
    I do have t mobile but right now I have the bold 9780 and i have it a little over a year and nothing but issues after issues with device after device and it's like t mobile knows about the known issues but yet i still have to pay to fix the issue so I want upgrade my phone through T -MO i can only get the new bold but will still have to pay full price and the iPhone i would buy through apple my phone now is 3g and always runs pretty much on edge as it is i don't really use apps, I mainly use photos really and for driving directions.
    05-04-12 05:31 PM
    Games, apps and entertainment most important = iPhone
    Communication, efficiency and organization most important =BlackBerry
    05-04-12 05:38 PM
    I do have t mobile but right now I have the bold 9780 and i have it a little over a year and nothing but issues after issues with device after device and it's like t mobile knows about the known issues but yet i still have to pay to fix the issue so I want upgrade my phone through T -MO i can only get the new bold but will still have to pay full price and the iPhone i would buy through apple my phone now is 3g and always runs pretty much on edge as it is i don't really use apps, I mainly use photos really and for driving directions.
    I have both. I switched back to my iPhone full time. Great camera, great apps, all my email is push...if you're fine with using edge; You should def go iPhone.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    meshell024 likes this.
    05-04-12 05:59 PM
    I have both. I switched back to my iPhone full time. Great camera, great apps, all my email is push...if you're fine with using edge; You should def go iPhone.

I found this link Unlocked iPhone 4S now working in some T-Mobile network pockets | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    that says that in some areas the phone will work on 3g which is what i have now and that t mo is probably just prepping to release the iPhone by upgrading a lil at a time I happen to live in nor cal one of the areas it can run 3g on my question now is for someone who mainly uses the phone for some apps but mostly pictures and act is the
    32 or the 64 the best bet?
    thanks for all the help everyone
    05-04-12 06:08 PM
    if you prioritise infotainment over communication then iPhone (or Android).. if you value communication over infotainment then BB..

quite simple.
    05-04-12 06:13 PM
    with Edge an iPhone becomes barely a feature phone...

05-04-12 06:15 PM
    with Edge an iPhone becomes barely a feature phone...
    well I've been reading that the iPhone 4s in nor cal where i live runs on 3g not edge which is what i am on right now with the 9780 and my phone is as fast if not faster loading then my sisters google 4g phone with t-mo. I mail text and use my phone for some very few apps and pictures i don't watch movies or download a ton of things not even on my blackberry so I really think it will be pretty comparable to what i have now, from what I've been reading t-mobile is slowing upgrading their network to run the iphone4s I'm guessing since they sell them directly unlocked (smart of apple) or because they plan to add the iPhone to their list in the future either way i am on the 3g right now i read around the t-mo forum it seems many many people have issues with the bold that i don't want again mostly the ones i have now. I would be happy with a slower phone being the whole 4g thing won't bother me then having one I need to send back over and over and over to only get more phones with different problems if that makes sense I think I will go with the iPhone =) and I am very thankful for everyone who responded and had an input =)
    andre20100 likes this.
    05-04-12 06:28 PM
    If you don't really use apps get the 9900

The 9900 does media stuff very well. The iPhone is not better

The 9900 screen is excellent. RIM calls it liquid graphics. Put a working 9900 right beside the iPhone and go to the same web page with a lot of graphics, you'll see why they called it liquid graphics...they do look a little bit different when they're side-by-side on the same page - IMO BB is better (I actually put my 9810 beside an iPhone 4S in a carrier store and I found my screen was nicer)

You can customize the 9900 in more ways than the iPhone. This will become more important after you've used the phone for a couple of months
    05-04-12 06:31 PM
    I use a 9790 and an iP4S. I do not know much about the t-Mo and their coverage but from what you are saying, the speed does not bother you much. But I did note that 9780 (was very good to me) was giving you nothing but problems, then you really should go for an iPhone.
    iPhone is very solid and stable. I have used every generation of the iPhone since its incarnation and it never gave me any problem, zero! No H/W or S/W problem. It just works. That alone will eliminate potential frustration you might experience. I am not ill-talking of BBs but it is probably the accepted fact that BBs do have issues popping up all over. No battery pulls for the iPhone at least
    05-04-12 06:44 PM
    Well seems like you have your mind set on the iPhone4s
    and yeah as long as you get the 4S model you will get
    HSPA+ (3g) in most areas.
    05-04-12 06:50 PM

You can customize the 9900 in more ways than the iPhone. This will become more important after you've used the phone for a couple of months
    No, it won't become more important. Some people just don't care. Some people have different priorities.

FWIW on my BB phone I changed the wallpaper, on my iPad I changed the wallpaper and arranged my icons in a logical fashion.

OP, if you want a larger touchscreen, and a larger app ecosystem, iPhone is the answer. If you like a physical keyboard, the ability to add any and multiple attachments to emails, then the BB is the answer. I also wanted a larger screen and an autofocusing camera, so I went with the 9810. Both the BB and iPhone will sync your iTunes music and podcast, so most content is a moot point.
    05-04-12 07:49 PM
    If you don't want to restart the phone every time you install or update an app, then obviously the iPhone!

I'm just putting down inane things at this point, seems to me you want an iPhone, so just go for it. My wife an a white iPhone 4S and she really likes it. We use WhatsApp to message each other, so that works well too, just as good as BBM it seems. And she likes to front facing camera for the times I'm out of town and we can Skype or Facetime each other if I'm on the iPad (my 9800 doesn't have a front facing camera, which is annoying).
    andre20100 likes this.
    05-04-12 08:06 PM
    I found this link Unlocked iPhone 4S now working in some T-Mobile network pockets | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    that says that in some areas the phone will work on 3g which is what i have now and that t mo is probably just prepping to release the iPhone by upgrading a lil at a time I happen to live in nor cal one of the areas it can run 3g on my question now is for someone who mainly uses the phone for some apps but mostly pictures and act is the
    32 or the 64 the best bet?
    thanks for all the help everyone
    If you're planning on taking lots of Pics I would suggest the 64 gig...The camera is amazing; you won't be disappointed.

anon(73368) likes this.
    05-04-12 08:20 PM
    iPhone for sure. Had many BB's, IPhone does it just as good and way more options for apps.
    05-04-12 08:48 PM
    If you don't want to restart the phone every time you install or update an app, then obviously the iPhone!

I'm just putting down inane things at this point, seems to me you want an iPhone, so just go for it. My wife an a white iPhone 4S and she really likes it. We use WhatsApp to message each other, so that works well too, just as good as BBM it seems. And she likes to front facing camera for the times I'm out of town and we can Skype or Facetime each other if I'm on the iPad (my 9800 doesn't have a front facing camera, which is annoying).
    Not every time, I have one or two apps that didn't require a 5 minute restart. .

I keep hoping for Voxer to release an app for Blackberry. But it's starting to be a moot point, most of the people I know that used it quit using it, kind of like how I am down to zero BBM contacts.
    05-04-12 09:08 PM
    If you count on being able to use your phone as a productivity tool, the iPhone is the way to go. The apps make all the difference.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    05-04-12 10:25 PM
    Honestly im like you i dont really use too many apps, the only reason i switched from blackberry to iphone is one reason and that was reliability. Every phone replacement i got would give me issues until i got fed up. I can vouch for iphones being reliable im on my 3rd one and i have not had a single issue. However i will point out that the battery life on the iphone 4s will drive you up the wall especially coming from a 9780.
    05-05-12 12:10 AM
    especially coming from a 9780.
    Oh the 9780 was a gem.
    I wish the 9790 internals with OS7 in a 9780 box with the same 1500mhA battery. I care less about the obsession with thinness. The 9780 was the perfect size.
    Anyway....
    05-05-12 12:30 AM
    If you're paying full price regardless, get the 4s. Tmobile's 1900mhz refarm is expected to be complete this year so the entire network will ultimately be compatible with the iPhone's 3G (actually any AT&T 1900mhz 3G device) which is one reason I just switched back to t-mobile.

In the mean time I'm running on edge which for the apps I use shows no real noticeable difference (except Facebook, that is slow to load). My RSS reader loads just as fast on edge, tapatalk is just as fast etc... I also don't have to worry about overage fees and i save $45 per month over AT&T so that's a nice bonus. ($1080 saving over 2 years just for base service then I'll save any overages AT&T wanted to charge). I get free wifi hotspot tethering too boot! ($20 extra per month on AT&T).

The only thing I can't get to work is MMS for some reason (still working on that). Also, iMessage/facetime activates using the t-mobile UK iPhone activation server so you'll see 2 international SMS fees of $0.20 (1 time only, or every time you disable/enable iMessage) simply because t-mob USA doesn't have their own activation agreement with apple "yet". Just enable iMessage and FaceTime once (for $0.40 total) and you're good to go. FYI, if you have a block on international SMS you'll have to disable it temporarily for this activation then re-enable it.
    Last edited by xandermac; 05-06-12 at 10:20 AM.
    SugarMouth likes this.
    05-06-12 10:04 AM
    I don't think T-Mobile will ever get the iPhone.
    & if they do, they'd charge a crazy amount for it.
    They charger more than any other phone company for their phones lol.
    The 9900 there is $250, versus the 9930 at Sprint is only $150, & ATT only $199.

If T-Mobile got the iPhone I honestly do think they'd charge $350-$400 for it.
    05-06-12 11:30 AM
    Games, apps and entertainment most important = iPhone
    Communication, efficiency and organization most important =BlackBerry
    If I read her post right she likes taking photo's and gps. I4s Clearly wins in that department. Telenav is 10 bucks for the year and the 4s has the best camera out. I've owned both devices and my email/twitter/FB pushes faster on my 4s. And the iphone communicates as well IF not better.
    05-06-12 12:25 PM
    Honestly im like you i dont really use too many apps, the only reason i switched from blackberry to iphone is one reason and that was reliability. Every phone replacement i got would give me issues until i got fed up. I can vouch for iphones being reliable im on my 3rd one and i have not had a single issue. However i will point out that the battery life on the iphone 4s will drive you up the wall especially coming from a 9780.
    I'm with you on reliability. I have not had 1 single issue. No random reboots,memory drain. As for Battery MY 4s get easily 16 hrs on normal use. Heavy use 10-12hrs. It gets much better batery life than my 9900 that I just sold.
    Last edited by Slammer; 05-06-12 at 12:33 PM.
    05-06-12 12:29 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD