iPhone 4 Rolls Out Features BlackBerry Already Has | PocketBerry

I saw this article over at Pocketberry.com and thought it made a lot of sense. Everyone is talking about how RIM is behind in the game, but it seems like Apple is playing catch-up now.
    06-07-10 04:54 PM
    Could have just joined in the thread above this one.
    06-07-10 04:56 PM
    Yea I didn't read that thread till afterwards. It took 3 pages to get to coherent conversation anyways.
    06-07-10 05:36 PM
    Yea it's tedious but thanks for the link.
    06-07-10 05:49 PM
    True, except that apple found the right formula.
    06-07-10 06:34 PM
    completely agree, to apple users it just seems that the features are "new" but in reality they're old.
    06-07-10 06:49 PM
    The same could be said for OS6 though, with features like pinch zooming, tabbed browsing and coverflow. the new browser, however, is a huge addition.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 07:05 PM
    We don't have Video Chat but I don't really use that so it doesn't matter for me.
    06-07-10 07:07 PM
    We can't shoot video in HD and edit it right on the phone, either. We are also stuck with a maximum of 528 mb of app memory. The smallest iPhone has over 30 times that amount.

The new screen look unreal, too.

RIM has a long ways to go to catch up with some of features. My wife has had an iPhone for over a year and she has only rebooted it once. I reboot at least every other day even with the latest OS 5. It is really starting to get old. RIM needs to ditch the separate App and Device Memory areas already.

06-07-10 07:22 PM
    We can't shoot video in HD and edit it right on the phone, either. We are also stuck with a maximum of 528 mb of app memory. The smallest iPhone has over 30 times that amount.

The new screen look unreal, too.

RIM has a long ways to go to catch up with some of features. My wife has had an iPhone for over a year and she has only rebooted it once. I reboot at least every other day even with the latest OS 5. It is really starting to get old. RIM needs to ditch the separate App and Device Memory areas already.

I agree RIM is a little behind in the specs department. BlackBerry has some useful features, but there is room for improvement. And yes.... Battery pulls and rebooting the phone is getting old.

06-07-10 07:33 PM
    I reboot maybe once or twice a week due to app (un)installations.

06-07-10 08:15 PM
    True, but you're forgetting that you can only fill nine screens with apps on the iPhone which is about 144 apps max. And don't forget BBs can use external memory as well to store things. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
    06-07-10 08:52 PM
    True, but you're forgetting that you can only fill nine screens with apps on the iPhone which is about 144 apps max. And don't forget BBs can use external memory as well to store things. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
    2 things:

1. What Blackberry can hold 144 apps?
    2. The current iPhone OS allows a max of 180 apps
    3. With iPhone OS 4 there are folders. Each folder can hold 12 apps. That means you can now have 2,160 apps max.

I agree they each have their own advantages and disadvantages but app memory is not an advantage on a Blackberry.

06-07-10 09:06 PM
    2 things:

3. With iPhone OS 4 there are folders. Each folder can hold 12 apps. That means you can now have 2,160 apps max.

I agree they each have their own advantages and disadvantages but app memory is not an advantage on a Blackberry.

So far I'm up to 63 apps on both my 9700 and 9550...if I find more that I like I will add them.
    06-07-10 09:17 PM
    True, except that apple found the right formula.

If the 9800 doesn't impress me, I will be grabbing an iPhone4 instead. Heard they are implementing iChat or something, same thing as BBM for iPhones.

Its like they took everything I like about the BBs, and made it better.

The design of the phone is daym sexay too
    06-07-10 09:20 PM
    2 things:

1. The new 9650 can and I'm sure the 9700 can as well.
    2. Didn't know that
    3. Forgot about that

For the people who don't download many apps (like myself) we're content. I mean I can store my apps on my SD card (Android FTW) and I have less than 10 downloaded apps. I only download the ones I want.
    06-07-10 09:38 PM
    Opera Mobile, and Nokia's native browser were superior to this unreleased browser years ago. So is Skyfire.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-07-10 09:41 PM
    I like the sleek looks and the idea behind an iphone, bit I played around with an iphone 3gs today just out of sheer boredom from actually having a full day off from work and it almost killed me. Maybe it would take some getting used to, but the screen having no feedback killed my thumbs. I could type just as fast but I noticed I was just slamming my thumbs into the screen. If Apple had something like Surepress, I might consider jumping ship. My Storm 2 has high enough specs for me and fullfils my daily required needs with calendar, memo pad for writing songs, text, email, Bolt for regular internet browsing and BB browser for streaming. And of course, pinball. I do wish for flash support so I could stream music from myspace and have the animations on websites. Other than that, I'm satisfied.
    06-07-10 09:42 PM
    1. The new 9650 can and I'm sure the 9700 can as well.
    2. Didn't know that
    3. Forgot about that

For the people who don't download many apps (like myself) we're content. I mean I can store my apps on my SD card (Android FTW) and I have less than 10 downloaded apps. I only download the ones I want.
    I guess I should have added "what Blackberry can hold 144 apps and not have to be rebooted every 8 hours due to memory leaks?".

I agree that nobody needs that many apps. I only have 8-10 that I use all of the time. I just want more memory than I know what to do with. That would be a nice problem to have.

06-07-10 10:00 PM
    I'm a die hard BB fan, but the new iPhone is way beyond any current and probably near-future BB. The 2 things keeping my with BB are the physical keyboard and the fact that RIM doesn't lord over the entire BB ecosystem like Apple does. So BB still wins in my books, for now... But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is #1 in smartphone market share by the end of this year.
    06-07-10 10:12 PM
    I guess I should have added "what Blackberry can hold 144 apps and not have to be rebooted every 8 hours due to memory leaks?".
    My 8900 and I never rebooted, leaked memory (which settled at about 40mb)
    or lagged in the two weeks I ran it that way.

Hey it was new and I wanted to push it
    06-07-10 10:23 PM

I agree that nobody needs that many apps. I only have 8-10 that I use all of the time. I just want more memory than I know what to do with. That would be a nice problem to have.

I think I pulled the battery 1 time due to a memory issue since I've had my 9700. I easily get a couple hundred messages per day, too. 9550 runs perfect, but the 9530 was a different story. My 9630 ran flawless, and so did my 8830s and 8330s. Not sure if it has any bearing, but of my 60+ apps, I don't install useless crap like fart, lie detector or sonogram apps. I wonder what the percentage of "useless crap" apps are installed, on average, on iPhones.
    06-07-10 10:30 PM
    The screen resolution is the biggest thing. But how much better is than the EVO? Or the Nexus One side by side? My Bold is pretty awesome. Still it doesn't change the Apple environment that you must use to have an iPhone. That is something a lot of people can't live with, me included. I don't care if they come up with a phone that can read my thoughts and act upon them without me saying a word, as long as they think I don't have to right to add what ever app I see fit on my phone or customize my interface as I want, they can keep their Jesus phone and kiss my big white harry a**.
    06-07-10 10:31 PM
    kiss my big white harry a**.
    A little too much much info their man. Glad I ate already.
    06-07-10 10:37 PM
    Opera Mobile, and Nokia's native browser were superior to this unreleased browser years ago. So is Skyfire.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    So you've used the new browser firsthand? Or are you psychic?!
    06-07-10 10:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD