Admittedly I am rather enamored with the iPad. But I got to thinking about the iPad and it's data pricing. $29.99 for "unlimited" data on the iPad, with no contract required, is rather enciting.

When I compare the $29.99 experience on the iPad versus the $29.99 experience for data on my Tour....... well you get the idea.

I am not saying I will definitely do this when the iPad comes out, but I will be strongly considering dumping my Berry (and really this could apply to any smartphone with a data plan i.e. Droid) in favor of a dumbphone and the iPad with 3G.

Granted the cost of the iPad is to be factored in, but...... after that initial cost, one might want to look at what they are getting for their $29.99 a month for data on the iPad vs. a Berry or Smartphone. My monthly cost for a dumbphone + iPad is equal to a smartphone/blackberry.

Of course those of you with a company discount will have a lower cost... that makes the comparison a moot point.

Am I off my rocker???
    Last edited by kilofox; 02-06-10 at 09:41 AM.
    02-05-10 07:14 PM
    If you want to carry the iPad with you everywhere you take your Tour...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 07:28 PM
    Depends if your gonna carry both around then I could understand. I'm gonna get an ipad but I'm waiting for 2nd generation hopefully (flash plug in and usb port will be on it) but I would use it mostly around the house cause I don't use my PC that much anymore

02-05-10 07:32 PM
    If you want to carry the iPad with you everywhere you take your Tour...

Granted... I wouldn't want to take an iPad into a bar or mountain biking with me. But when I am doing those things I'm not all that interested in using my Tour for anything other than making or getting calls.
    02-05-10 07:34 PM
    this will largely depend on your usage. If you're the type to mostly not use a lot of the smartphone features while you are out, and then do most of your e-mail, browsing, etc etc at home, this may work well for you. Keep in mind all the things you won't be able to do with just a dumb phone that you'll carry around most of the time.
    02-05-10 08:38 PM
    Bb + lenovo s10 > ipad + anything. If I need a mobile data connection, I simply tether. I fail to see how the ipad has anything going for it beyond aesthetics. And the lenovo netbook? More memory, more ram, lower price, less oem constrictions. But get whatever device combo you prefer, of course.

02-05-10 08:52 PM
    Bb + lenovo s10 > ipad + anything. If I need a mobile data connection, I simply tether. I fail to see how the ipad has anything going for it beyond aesthetics. And the lenovo netbook? More memory, more ram, lower price, less oem constrictions. But get whatever device combo you prefer, of course.

Not a Windows guy. Win 7 is a big improvement. But I will stick with OSX thank you.

I am not a business berry user... so in my case I look at what I am getting for my $29 BIS/Data cost. For the same $29 I get a much better experience on the iPad and I can live without the data on the phone. I dont need the power or the weight that comes with a laptop.

Tethering only adds to the $29, and therefore makes it more expensive. I am not interested in breaking my TOA with VZW and tether illegally either.
    02-05-10 09:20 PM
    Just remember, the iPad is still going to have limitations, such as no multitasking, and the possibility that apps build for the iPhone won't work on it right away. Apps built for Macs won't work on it either.

I'm sure there will be lots of apps built for the iPad over time, but with limited capabilities, it might not be as grand as Apple is promoting.
    02-05-10 09:49 PM
    So dumbphone + Ipad = good? Lets say you buy the cheapest one which is $629 with 3G and wifi 16GB version, and pay ATT 29 bucks a month for 3G. For me, I got to have email, gps, random app stuff on my phone because I wont be carrying the Ipad with me everywhere I go. If you dont use those stuff when your out and wont need it, go for it!
    Last edited by jlouang; 02-05-10 at 11:10 PM.
    02-05-10 10:08 PM
    IMO better to get an Iphone rather than lugging around with the Ipad.
    02-05-10 10:51 PM
    I already have a notebook, so I would not care for an iPad. If I am going to carry around a larger device, I want something that has full capabilities, not just browsing and checking emails. There is really nothing an iPad does that a smartphone does not do. The only difference is the larger size. If I need a bag to carry a device, I want that device to a notebook.
    02-05-10 11:12 PM
    I would rather have a my BB and laptop to carry around then the ipad and a dumphone.
    02-06-10 12:11 AM
    If it's Apple, then just stay away from it. its all a bunch of i-crap. Go and buy a real pc.
    02-06-10 02:34 AM
    There will be no flash or adobe on the ipad! They are waiting for html

02-06-10 02:53 AM
    Only for home use when not on a desk? The iPad w/o 3G seems to be a budget move (just use your wi-fi). Otherwise, for outdoors, you're gonna need a bag to carry that so a small laptap is wiser. Like someone said here, the iPad is really a dumb device (for now) except for browsing and reading ebooks with its larger screen. It can't even multitask. The iPhone, your BB or an Android device has more features. And it's no substitute for a laptap. But it'll make a nice third device if you're a Mac and iPhone user if you find a need for it based on specific situations. I'd say wait it out and see where this device leads to and make a purchase decision around the third quarter. By then, you'll get tons of options and the newer iPhone and BBs (Storm3) would be around hopefully.
    02-06-10 03:34 AM
    Only for home use when not on a desk? The iPad w/o 3G seems to be a budget move (just use your wi-fi). Otherwise, for outdoors, you're gonna need a bag to carry that so a small laptap is wiser. Like someone said here, the iPad is really a dumb device (for now) except for browsing and reading ebooks with its larger screen. It can't even multitask. The iPhone, your BB or an Android device has more features. And it's no substitute for a laptap. But it'll make a nice third device if you're a Mac and iPhone user if you find a need for it based on specific situations. I'd say wait it out and see where this device leads to and make a purchase decision around the third quarter. By then, you'll get tons of options and the newer iPhone and BBs (Storm3) would be around hopefully.
    Good points... but your points are tailored to the way you use devices. What I do most with my phone and a laptop is consume media. Consuming media other than email, is a lacking experience on a berry. Laptops are great for generating media ... but not needed for consumption. I dont need the bulk of laptop.

Now some of you will say there isnt that much difference in the bulk... well there is... particularly in weight. Let me put it this way... there are some people that think the Bold 9000 is huge compared to the 9700 .. if thats true then I think that a laptop being huge compared to the iPad is just as valid.

Multitasking is probably one of the most over-hyped features one hears. When it really gets down to it... most of us dont need it as much as we think we do. As a media consumer... I certainly dont find it a hindrance. And the iPhone's lack of multitasking certainly hasnt hurt its sales. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.

It all comes down on how you "work" or "play" on your devices. In my case, I do 99% of my "work" on my 24in iMac at home. Its quite possible I can converge my laptop/kindle/smartphone in one device. I am not saying I will definitely do it... but I will strongly consider it.
    02-06-10 07:59 AM
    I'm surprised no one has made this observation yet. "Inciting" is what you do to bring out the torch-and-pitchfork crowd. I think you were going for "enticing".
    02-06-10 09:17 AM
    I'm surprised no one has made this observation yet. "Inciting" is what you do to bring out the torch-and-pitchfork crowd. I think you were going for "enticing".
    Thanks... Fixed

02-06-10 09:42 AM
    The prospect of using a dumbphone ever again doesn't sit well with me at all. I remember having to revert to using my mom's old flip phone, which was in great condition mind you, while I waited for a replacement PDA. Most frustrating experience. I didn't even want to reply to texts! I told everyone if they needed something to just call, but of course depending on my mood, I wouldn't answer. It was basically like I didn't have a phone at all...iPad is nice, but not nice enough for me to give up a blackberry.

02-06-10 09:49 AM
    ...iPad is nice, but not nice enough for me to give up a blackberry.

Word.

I think the question is what are you doing with it. Sounds like the media consumer might be better off with his iPad. But for most of us who rely in our berries to communicate be it email, bbm or txt iPad just doesn't cut it. Not to mention the size of the thing.

02-06-10 10:57 AM
    Keep the BlackBerry and get the new Asus netbook with a dual core CPU. They are really fast, miltitask, have a way better screen, support all current tech like flash, etc.

Not to mention they actually have USB and a whole pile of other features not found on the iPad. And did I mention the screen? Unlike the iPad you can watch widescreen movies. The iPad is just a standard 4:3 aspect ratio so letterbox works best on them.
    02-06-10 11:10 AM
    IMO better to get an Iphone rather than lugging around with the Ipad.
    +1

10 charac
    02-06-10 11:16 AM
    An iPad doesn't have flash, how would you do without that. And are you forever going to be a media consumer. If you don't pay for internet at home, this is smart I guess. But a desktop computer can do a lot more in terms of media and you're might want to consider the iPad's USB ports, unless you got another iPod.

02-06-10 11:44 AM
    Depends if your gonna carry both around then I could understand. I'm gonna get an ipad but I'm waiting for 2nd generation hopefully (flash plug in and usb port will be on it) but I would use it mostly around the house cause I don't use my PC that much anymore

Where are you getting this flash support from? I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs' outburst at Adobe last week probably set Flash another 5 years back. People said the same thing about the iPhone 3G and 3GS, 'Flash is coming, I know it is!'. It's not going to happen on Apple. He even said HTML5 'is going to be the future', so we know where Apple products are headed.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 02-06-10 at 12:57 PM.
    02-06-10 12:55 PM
    It just doesn't seem to me to be safely portable enough to replace a smartphone. Try affixing your iPhone to an 8x10 glass picture frame and carry it around for a day.

I see more iPhones with the glass broken than not. Most iPad users will probably end up buying a protective cover. Due to the options of either holding the tablet in one hand and typing with the other or laying it down flat which will make it hard to see, they'll also need a stand, maybe built into the cover. And maybe even a bluetooth keyboard for when you want to get serious typing done. So much for the size and weight benefits.

I would imagine the battery rating should really be "up to" 10 hours. It depends on what you are doing with it.

I just worked on a netbook yesterday that had a 12 hour battery life. It was light, fully functional and I wouldn't be too concerned if I had to toss it in my bag unprotected.
    02-06-10 04:53 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD