Folks who, like me, have a "thing" for headsets, may have been waiting for the long promised, but only recently released, Invisio Q7 headset. The Invisio Q7's claim to fame is true bone conduction. Well yesterday I received the Invisio Q7 bluetooth headset I pre-ordered a few weeks-ago.

After much anticipation, I am sorry to say that it has not really lived up to its billing. In my aggressive testing, comparing the Invisio Q7 to the Aliph Jawbone, the Q7 only wins in windy conditions. In all other conditions the Q7 was deemed inferior to the Jawbone, by call recipients, due to an omnipresent, white noise, background hiss. Quite possibly this noise is by design. But it detracts significantly from the listener's experience. In all cases, outside of windy conditions, the call recipients reported greater satisfaction with the Jawbone. But the Q7 did win, hands-down, on in-ear comfort and style. But the majority of buyers willing to pay a premium price are looking for function ahead of form.

Possibly there are some tweaks needed to the software. Perhaps Nextlink will quickly identified the issues and implement a fix. I hope this is the case. I also hope that they will take care of the early adopters. The Q7 I received could be the greatest cellular headset ever, but it needs a little work.

For your reference, my testing environments were:

Phone: Blackberry 8800 (Cingular)
    BMW X5 - interstate @ 70 MPH with windows/sunroof closed - windows/sunroof open
    Ford Super-Duty Diesel Pickup (surface streets) with windows closed - windows open
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (soft-top) (surface streets) with windows closed - windows open - top down
    Kubota Diesel Tractor - inside barn (no wind but reflected sound) and outside barn (wind)

I am very interested to hear what others who try a production Q7 have to say. For me the Jawbone will remain my primary headset. The Q7 will be a backup for windy conditions; which kill the Jawbone.
    02-22-08 09:31 AM
    Something that occurred to me (hope this is not a hijack) since you mentioned "real jaw bone conduction" is what is the impact of a BEARD on this aspect? My beard definitely causes all of these devices to "stand-away" from my actual cheek. I ask here because it sounds (no pun intended) as if you have extensively compared various units.
    02-22-08 10:25 AM
    The Invisio Q7 picks up the voice vibrations from inside the ear canal, so, unless you also have heavy ear-hair, a beard would have no effect. As there is no external microphone, this explains why it not being affected by wind. But the Jawbone uses an external microphone which works in conjunction with a vibration detector to tell it when you are talking. This vibration detector has a stud which needs to be in contact with your cheek. A very heavy beard might interfere with the stud. But in my case the stud hits just behind the hairline of my sideburns. You would just have to give it a try to see how it works with your physical geometry.
    02-22-08 10:50 AM
    I too received my Q7 last month, and after many calls to tech Support, I found the following:

Placement of earpiece is CRITICAL for getting best sound for your listener. if they cant hear you clearly, try positioning the earpiece by twisting it upwards (counter clockwise for right ear, opposite for left), until it is snug in your ear (you shouldnt be able to hear from that ear if it is seated properly)....this is so that the mic is seated snug with your ear canal.

Another thing - SPEAK CLEARLY - the vibrations in your jaw are being translated digitally into pure sound, I have had words completely changed when I spoke to people (I say Four, and the listener hears "thor:...) - if you enunciate your words, it works better.

As for the noise cancelling...I have recorded my voice in my car, raising the volume to see what I hear - the message was clear, and I couldnt even hear the Metallica Song I was playing full blast while driving...AMAZING!!!

The true test was last week, when I went to a Club in NYC. I was standing in a room full of Loud music, i could barely hear myself...My brother called, and I asked him how I sounded...His answer - " dude, youre not in a club, stop Lying!"...I had to tuen the headset off so he could hear me with the handset's mic, and he was floored. All he heard was my voice, and a slight muffle, but it didnt sound like music.

Definitely the Best Headset I have every bought, well worth the money...

Really sucks that Motorola bought the rights to it...now you have to wait until it is RE Released later this year, as a mototrola headset...

The static you say you are getting must be a bluetooth issue, maybe more to do with your phone than the headset...Try updating your software...

Hope this helps...
    05-22-08 01:32 PM
    Been waiting for awhile to order this headset that was being backordered. One of the MODS listed this headset as very good.
    05-22-08 02:25 PM
    Where can you order an Invisio Q7?
    06-02-08 02:38 PM
    A few days after making the original post, I didn't pay any attention to this thread as the Nextlink folks called and asked for me to return the Q7 headset I had received. From what I was able to gather, this was because they didn't actually intend for anyone to get one; as it wasn't ready to ship. I had them credit my CC, and provide a pickup for the return shipment, before letting them have it back.

So when I read 2l82xlr8�s glowing post . . . I know it was a bald face lie. Or I could be nice and call it a bit of wishful fiction. Based on the fact I know he/she/it never had a Q7, I also doubt he/she/it has ever been to a club in NYC; or had a date. But he/she/it might listen to Metallica when Mom is out of the trailer.

So take what you read on forums with a GIANT grain of salt.
    10-12-08 01:15 AM
    I too received my Q7 last month, and after many calls to tech Support, I found the following:

Placement of earpiece is CRITICAL for getting best sound for your listener. if they cant hear you clearly, try positioning the earpiece by twisting it upwards (counter clockwise for right ear, opposite for left), until it is snug in your ear (you shouldnt be able to hear from that ear if it is seated properly)....this is so that the mic is seated snug with your ear canal.

Another thing - SPEAK CLEARLY - the vibrations in your jaw are being translated digitally into pure sound, I have had words completely changed when I spoke to people (I say Four, and the listener hears "thor:...) - if you enunciate your words, it works better.

As for the noise cancelling...I have recorded my voice in my car, raising the volume to see what I hear - the message was clear, and I couldnt even hear the Metallica Song I was playing full blast while driving...AMAZING!!!

The true test was last week, when I went to a Club in NYC. I was standing in a room full of Loud music, i could barely hear myself...My brother called, and I asked him how I sounded...His answer - " dude, youre not in a club, stop Lying!"...I had to tuen the headset off so he could hear me with the handset's mic, and he was floored. All he heard was my voice, and a slight muffle, but it didnt sound like music.

Definitely the Best Headset I have every bought, well worth the money...

Really sucks that Motorola bought the rights to it...now you have to wait until it is RE Released later this year, as a mototrola headset...

The static you say you are getting must be a bluetooth issue, maybe more to do with your phone than the headset...Try updating your software...

Hope this helps...
    I read your comments on the Q7 and would like to buy one but cant find it. Where did you buy yours? How can I get one?
    Allan
    01-15-09 07:01 AM
    Alabama...dont hate a player!

I did get my headset from a very nice Rep from the manufacturer itself. I even got my refund too!...

The headset did exactly as I posted, and I am sad to say that I no longer have the headset. Lost it at a Wedding...

Anyways, I wont even buy a new headset...Im waiting for Motorola (they bought the rights to the Q7) to repackage the headset with their branding, and new name. Nothing in the pike, from what I hear - Looks like they want to keep it under wraps. Should have taken better care of it...

Anyways, I still have the pics, and even the recordings I made of the headset in action.

I still email Motorola USA asking for the release date - no answer to date.

05-26-09 10:23 PM
    218 only has 2 posts....says he has pics? You could post a link for us to see the "in action" shots. Hmmmmmm
    05-26-09 10:29 PM
    Alabama...dont hate a player!

I did get my headset from a very nice Rep from the manufacturer itself. I even got my refund too!...

The headset did exactly as I posted, and I am sad to say that I no longer have the headset. Lost it at a Wedding...

Anyways, I wont even buy a new headset...Im waiting for Motorola (they bought the rights to the Q7) to repackage the headset with their branding, and new name. Nothing in the pike, from what I hear - Looks like they want to keep it under wraps. Should have taken better care of it...

Anyways, I still have the pics, and even the recordings I made of the headset in action.

I still email Motorola USA asking for the release date - no answer to date.

Here is the thing whihc you r loooking for Motorola hx1
    10-23-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD