Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrysaurora
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default For the Investors

I'm a new investor, in general, and t RIM. I have approximately 50 shares @ $11.54 each and I plan to buy an additional 75 shares on Dec 20 (after their announcement). In total, I'll have 125 shares and let them cook until Q4 fiscal announcement and make a decision then.

I'm not looking to make millions, but I'm certainly having a ton of fun. I do have questions for fellow investors.

1. Why is "re-investing" needed? If you take the money you've "earned" to buy more shares, how would that change anything? Doesn't seem like it should.
    2. Are there any rumors about RIM's Q3 status set to be revealed on Dec 20? (Rumors shouldn't be used for investments, but I'm curious.)
    3. Do the big investors care about which apps the BB10 will launch with?

I can't think of any more at the moment.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,480 Global Posts

Regarding #1, presumably you would re purchase at a lower price. So if I sold everthing the other day when it hit 12 bucks and then purchased them at 10.50 I would make a buck-50 a share minus fees. #3, I'm sure. Why wouldn't the be? #2, research research research
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    Regarding #1, presumably you would re purchase at a lower price. So if I sold everthing the other day when it hit 12 bucks and then purchased them at 10.50 I would make a buck-50 a share minus fees. #3, I'm sure. Why wouldn't the be? #2, research research research
    As for #3, everything that RIM has put out suggests that the Developers love BB10. I don't see any analysts including this in their reports.

Didn't read your post properly. Oops.

For #1, let's assume that Dec 20 leads to bad news, so I sell my shares, see the stock drop, then buy at a lower price. If the news is good, then I just lost my place with cheaper shares.
    CrackBerry Master

Let's say, RIM sells 80M phones in 2013. Assuming that, is it realistic for RIM to get back to $150 level or is there a rough formula that we can use to calculate approximate share price-range based on number of devices sold?
    Something like:
    40 M phones sold -> $15 to $25 share price valuation
    80 M phones sold -> $50 to $75 share price valuation
    and so on. ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    I'm a new investor, in general, and t RIM. I have approximately 50 shares @ $11.54 each and I plan to buy an additional 75 shares on Dec 20 (after their announcement). In total, I'll have 125 shares and let them cook until Q4 fiscal announcement and make a decision then.
    If RIM gets back to $150 level (and I am hoping it does), you'd have $150x125 = $18,750!
    Dear BlackBerry,
    1. Fix Contacts App (at the bare minimum: create 2 options - clear all links and disable auto-linking of contacts)
    2. In your advertisement/commercials, please advertise "Android Player" as one of the features (you could show/print Android logo and advertise limited compatibility)
    3. Support Google Play / Google APIs in Android Player so Google Now, Maps, Hangouts/Voice work flawlessly or convince Google to develop NATIVE apps for BB10.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    Let's say, RIM sells 80M phones in 2013. Assuming that, is it realistic for RIM to get back to $150 level or is there a rough formula that we can use to calculate approximate share price-range based on number of devices sold?
    Something like:
    40 M phones sold -> $15 to $25 share price valuation
    80 M phones sold -> $50 to $75 share price valuation
    and so on.
    ?
    From my understanding, the analyst that projected a $33 share price calculated (somehow) that the price to produce the phone would be $365, which would lower profit margins a lot and thus a lower share ($33). If RIM comes out and says that the cost to manufacturer the phone is $200 or $250, then profit margins and expectations increase, and so will the share price.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,480 Global Posts

I'm optomistic, but 150 is a pipe dream. Markets all (mostly) speculation, so if RIM starts dominating, then sure, 150. But that's a long, steep mountain to climb
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by SlcCorrado View Post
    I'm optomistic, but 150 is a pipe dream. Markets all (mostly) speculation, so if RIM starts dominating, then sure, 150. But that's a long, steep mountain to climb
    I'm not evening dreaming of $150. Haha. From what I have now, I'll be happy with $12 so I can say I made it even.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoof View Post
    I'm not evening dreaming of $150. Haha. From what I have now, I'll be happy with $12 so I can say I made it even.
    Good for you You'll do well, I believe
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

With so few shares, even if the share price doubled, this is a very small amount. I have been reading very optimistic reports for RIM to get back to maybe $28, if some big sales and productions come back. For RIM to go back to even close to $100 there would have to be a huge success in their sales and profits that are far beyond present belief.

It is unfortunate that the older directors of RIM did not take care or look in to their product technology when they could clearly see what the other competitive phone products were offering. More and more people started to switch over to the newer and more advanced featured phones.

If you take a look at the early versions of the tablet, there was no built in email client, no spell corrector, the bridge mode was not very stable, and some of the applications would fail while being used. On top of all this there was no 3G or service capability. The tablet was only WiFi or can be tethered for internet use. For someone who did not use a Blackberry phone along with the tablet, this tablet was really useless, and especially for the cost.

I bought and kept the Playbook because it worked okay for my in my particular situation. It took about a year until they fixed most of the major bugs it was plagued with. There are still issues with this tablet.

I like the Blackberry phone very much. We have a number of them in our family and in our business. I am hoping RIM makes it back. I want to be able to keep using Blackberry phones for a long time to come. When the BB10 comes out, we will be getting these. I was hoping they were going to come out with a newer and more advanced tablet. About a year ago, there were some rumors about a larger tablet. I would have jumped on it.

Jerry G.
    Jerry G.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?

Default Re: For the Investors

I really want to learn how to do this! I would like to buy shares in RIMM while the time is still right! Can anyone PM me and point me in the right direction to get started???
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedBlinky View Post
    I really want to learn how to do this! I would like to buy shares in RIMM while the time is still right! Can anyone PM me and point me in the right direction to get started???
    • First, you need to open a trading account with a broker. For eg: at eTrade (I am not from US so I don't know of all options)
    • Second, deposit money this account (usually you can do online bill payment from your existing bank account)
    • Third, login to the site, and place a trade. OR simply call the broker and tell them you want to buy RIMM etc and they'd place the order for you.
    • Then..relax..watch yourself become wealthy as RIM stock makes a run towards it's previous $150 price!
    Dear BlackBerry,
    1. Fix Contacts App (at the bare minimum: create 2 options - clear all links and disable auto-linking of contacts)
    2. In your advertisement/commercials, please advertise "Android Player" as one of the features (you could show/print Android logo and advertise limited compatibility)
    3. Support Google Play / Google APIs in Android Player so Google Now, Maps, Hangouts/Voice work flawlessly or convince Google to develop NATIVE apps for BB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?

Default Re: For the Investors

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    • First, you need to open a trading account with a broker. For eg: at eTrade (I am not from US so I don't know of all options)
    • Second, deposit money this account (usually you can do online bill payment from your existing bank account)
    • Third, login to the site, and place a trade. OR simply call the broker and tell them you want to buy RIMM etc and they'd place the order for you.
    • Then..relax..watch yourself become wealthy as RIM stock makes a run towards it's previous $150 price!
    Thanks for the help! I wasn't aware it was this easy!! I have a good feeling about RIMM stock and I want to jump on the action now!!
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***
    CrackBerry Master

RIM laid off a large number of people in past few months. So, have their profits increased since then? I mean, if they have reduced cost, it stands to reason that their profit margin has increased. Does anyone have these numbers? If so, feel free to post them here. It'd be helpful.

So, even if they sell same amount of phones as they have been selling before, the profit margin should have increased (because they lowered costs already) and that should significantly boost their stock price.

And if existing BB users also upgrade to BB10 in hordes, the new device sale should bring them even more money. Given their increased profit margin (as a result of cost-cutting measures/layoffs), their profit should increase significantly. This should boost stock a lot. So, why does $150 stock price seem like a dream?
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 12-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Dear BlackBerry,
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx likes this.