Kasperapd brought to my attention today, that we, BlackBerry 8800 users, had a new icon on our BlackBerry, TeleNav.

At first I though he was takking about another application that I tested yesterday...

Anyway, it seems this icon / application / offer was 'pushed' to us by T-Mobile. But, wouldn't / isn't that an invasion of privacy? Did they ask me if they could do this? How would they like me to just connect to their system and do whatever I wanted? Well, actualy I guess I sort of already do - LOL

Anyway, your thoughts...

ps: I bet all you 8700 users are jealous...
    05-01-07 07:33 PM
    what is TeleNav? what does the app do? haven't heard about it yet...
    05-01-07 07:44 PM
    TeleNav is a GPS software, gives you driving directions to locations, etc, etc...
    05-01-07 07:49 PM
    I honestly didn't really like them just pushing that icon to my crackberry. I much rather have had them sent me a free SMS advising me of the service.
    05-01-07 07:56 PM
    I agree Kasper. I much would rather have them notify me that the option is there, that way I can download it if I'd like.

I would imagine so however asking for the sake of asking, are you able to remove the application? I would hate to start running out of memory (far chance of this happening) because of them pushing me apps that couldn't be removed.
    05-01-07 09:13 PM
    Completely agree. Good point, Navilyn. I have been reading a lot about this lately. Where GPS applications compromise one's privacy. Interesting discussion for Civil Rights.

However, it has also saved lives.

Although, as far as t-mo just pushing the app - forget it. They should have sent the SMSmessage like Kasper thought. That's not good.

Yes, Cingular and the 8700 is looking good at this moment anyway
    05-01-07 10:11 PM
    I agree Kasper. I much would rather have them notify me that the option is there, that way I can download it if I'd like.

I would imagine so however asking for the sake of asking, are you able to remove the application? I would hate to start running out of memory (far chance of this happening) because of them pushing me apps that couldn't be removed.
    They actually didn't push the application, just an icon for TeleNav that takes you to a download link. I guess that is better than pushing the enire application, but I also couldn't find a way to get rid of it other than hiding it.

I went ahead and downloaded it just to try out TeleNav, but I'm sure I'll delete it after my 60-day trial. Once downloaded, the original icon that was pushed is now gone and replaced my the application icon for TeleNav. And yes, that one can be deleted.
    Last edited by kasperapd; 05-02-07 at 09:32 AM.
    05-02-07 09:30 AM
    It's probably something that is being bundled with the software on all new phones rolling out. So technically to them, it was an "update". Though I agree and email or text message telling you about it would have been a better business practice.
    06-18-09 11:21 AM
    All of the carriers do this. It's one of the reasons why it is impossible to completely get rid of the Facebook/Myspace/Handago Icons. It is part of the service books and every time they are pushed to your phone, whatever applications the carrier has added to them is pushed along with them.

Just because the icon is there doesn't mean it is installed on your phone. The icon is a launcher to download the app. If you don't want the app, simply hide the icon or move it into a folder for unused icons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 11:25 AM
    I recently had the App World installer pushed to my phone.
    Not quite the same thing as GPS tracking software, but you did only get the installer, correct?
    To be honest I'm not happy or unhappy about it.
    As far as invasions of privacy go, this is the least of my concerns. I'm only slightly more concerned about the ability and legality of monitoring/recording conversations and text content from my phone.
    One other thought, if you have a subsidized phone which you received as part of a contract with a carrier, is that phone really yours? Just playing devils advocate, and I understand that this case does not apply to everyone.
    06-18-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD