I want to know more about Blackberry's vision of the future. How will we use our devices in the future? What will those devices look like? What exactly is the Internet of Things? How does Mirrorcast play into this vision?

The way I see it is our phone will be our central hub for all our connectivity. I'll come home from work and my phone will immediately connect to all the devices in my home. I'll turn on the TV and flip through some channels, but I don't have a cable box or DVR. My TV is just connected to my phone that controls access to all the channels. I can use a remote control or my phone to control my TV, it doesn't matter.

I pick up my tablet that is just a screen, nothing more, and I can read my books that reside on my phone or stream a movie all through the connection via my phone.

I'll head upstairs on turn on my computer monitor, but there's no PC connected to it. Yet, I'm playing Battlefield...through my phone.

Am I on the right track here?
    04-24-14 05:00 PM
    I would say those are good examples of some things BBRY wants to achieve with BB10, yes.

I think the TV thing will be extremely limited to be done this way for the foreseeable future for multiple reasons.
    For remote control, home theater is just the beginning. We'll see increasing integration with home automation, thermostats, garage doors, alarm systems, etc, as well.

And the dummy screen idea is something that's been discussed. I know there are people at BBRY who want to do this, but it's not currently on their roadmap. It's a great idea that could see mass adoption if done well at the right price.

PS I'm changing "Mirrorcast" in title to Miracast.
    04-24-14 05:33 PM
    There has been smart home technology and home integration on the market for twenty years or more. It's great when done well and when the owner has the tech abilities to figure out how to use it and maintain it.... or they are willing to pay some one.

But most people don't have smart homes, or intelligent appliances... nor do many really want to have to pay for these or to learn how to operate them.

As for your phone doing everything... sure hope you don't lose it. I can see the technology being possible, but not practical. More likely you will have multiple devices that allow you to connect to your "cloud" in different ways.

But to be honest the future will most likely will look much different than any of us expect.
    04-24-14 06:00 PM
    Miracast and the dummy screens seem like such a great idea to me. I'd kill for one in my car so I wouldn't need to deal with a clunky navigation unit.

And the price of them definitely needs to be in the range of "cheap". I currently have a Kindle and an ipad, but if I could get those same sized screens for less than a hundred bucks each, it'd be tough to refuse.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 01:06 AM
    The internet of things, what every dictator in the history has dreamed of. Careful what you wish for is what I say.

#believeinfilm
    04-25-14 01:24 AM