Hello,

I've seen a couple of threads relating to this from a couple of years back, but nothing newer. Why is it that if I try to get on the internet it takes forever to load? I can be in the same room with someone with a cheap crappy smartphone and they get pages to load instantly, but me and the other half with our new BBs (his is the curve, I have the torch) are sitting like lemons.

It will load fine if we're in the house and connected to the wifi, but move away from the house and it takes up to 3 minutes to load the same page.

I am starting to really resent paying for something that I'm not using!

Any fixes or solutions gratefully accepted.
    04-19-12 06:37 AM
    are you in the uk? i find that sometimes my torch is terrible indoors, i some buildings.
    And then rapid fire outside and in other buildings. Im on o2 and people on other networks with bbs dont have this prob.
    04-19-12 06:41 AM
    sorry...that wasnt very helpful was it?
    04-19-12 06:42 AM
    It will load fine if we're in the house and connected to the wifi, but move away from the house and it takes up to 3 minutes to load the same page.
    You have already identified the problem - your cellular network's performance. With a good 3G signal you should see relatively little difference between cellular or WiFi connections. Either you are stuck on 2G (GPRS/EDGE) or your cellular service is not providing adequate service.
    04-19-12 06:50 AM
    Also keep in mind feature phones are likely loading mobile only stripped down versions of a site, whereas your BB should load the full site by default.
    04-19-12 06:52 AM
    Hi yes,

I'm in the UK. I'm used to almost zero mobile signal in the house (it's all granite) but in other places it says I have GPRS or EDGE access, but no joy. friends with phones like the HTC BB lookalike get lightening fast speeds in the same place as me, even if they are on orange like me. Email and messenger works fine. It's most annoying!

ETA: this was to Wuulfy, didn't expect such an amazingly fast response!
    Last edited by guapagirl; 04-19-12 at 06:57 AM.
    04-19-12 06:53 AM
    You have already identified the problem - your cellular network's performance. With a good 3G signal you should see relatively little difference between cellular or WiFi connections. Either you are stuck on 2G (GPRS/EDGE) or your cellular service is not providing adequate service.
    I thought EDGE/GPRS was supposed to be better than 3G
    People on the same network seem to manage to get an OK signal.

ETA: on my phone settings it gives the choice of 2G or 3G or both. It doesn't mention EDGE or GPRS. Is that normal?

Also keep in mind feature phones are likely loading mobile only stripped down versions of a site, whereas your BB should load the full site by default.
    nope, we compared and they got the full site (or at least it looked no different to the site on the laptop) and we got "page loading".
    Last edited by guapagirl; 04-19-12 at 06:58 AM.
    04-19-12 06:56 AM
    Other smartphones would load the standard pages. BlackBerry data goes from your carrier to RIM then out to the web, then back from RIM to your carrier to you. This is done because RIM compresses the data so you use less overall. Other smartphones do not have the compression step and will load pages faster (though in many cases it isnt *that* much faster).
    guapagirl likes this.
    04-19-12 07:03 AM
    i have just accessed the bbc website on my torch while indoors at work, where the signal is very bad. Took less than 30 secs.

You should probably contact orange.
    04-19-12 07:06 AM
    Other smartphones would load the standard pages. BlackBerry data goes from your carrier to RIM then out to the web, then back from RIM to your carrier to you. This is done because RIM compresses the data so you use less overall. Other smartphones do not have the compression step and will load pages faster (though in many cases it isnt *that* much faster).
    OK, well that makes sense if it makes it a bit slower, but super-slow?

i have just accessed the bbc website on my torch while indoors at work, where the signal is very bad. Took less than 30 secs.

You should probably contact orange.
    *groans* hate talking to them! But the thing is, friends who are on orange still get lightning fast speeds. I've switched the phone over to 3G only and I'll see how that works out. I never realised that 2G was the same as GPRS/EDGE Though I'm not quite sure why I sometimes get EDGE and other times I get GPRS.
    04-19-12 07:12 AM
    I thought EDGE/GPRS was supposed to be better than 3G
    People on the same network seem to manage to get an OK signal.

ETA: on my phone settings it gives the choice of 2G or 3G or both. It doesn't mention EDGE or GPRS. Is that normal?
    GPRS/EDGE is 2G, the older slower protocol. 3G should be faster provided you get a good signal without bandwidth restrictions from Orange.

To see what quality of service your phone is getting look top right of the screen next to the signal strength indicator bars. Ideally you should be seeing "3G" and the little 4 dot blackberry logo indicator. First fallback is EDGE, then GPRS. If they drop to lower case (edge/gprs) you have lost Blackberry data service, and if it finally falls back to GSM you have lost all data services.
    guapagirl likes this.
    04-19-12 07:19 AM
    WiFi is much faster than a carrier network.

Ask those with the fast loading phones what network they're on. You might simply be with a crappy provider.

Look at the upper right corner of your display. If it doesn't say 3G then you're connected to a much slower network. If so, try looking under Mobile Network Options and make sure Network Mode is set to Auto or 3G & 2G to ensure you're on the fastest available network. BTW, 3g is much slower than 3G.

Try a battery pull.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 04-19-12 at 07:33 AM.
    guapagirl likes this.
    04-19-12 07:28 AM
    As suggested above, put it on 3G and do a battery pull. If you don't have the latest 7.1 OS on it, you should try that as well. There is a link to the latest OS and instructions for loading it at the top of the 9810 forum.
    04-19-12 07:39 AM
    GPRS/EDGE is 2G, the older slower protocol. 3G should be faster provided you get a good signal without bandwidth restrictions from Orange.

To see what quality of service your phone is getting look top right of the screen next to the signal strength indicator bars. Ideally you should be seeing "3G" and the little 4 dot blackberry logo indicator. First fallback is EDGE, then GPRS. If they drop to lower case (edge/gprs) you have lost Blackberry data service, and if it finally falls back to GSM you have lost all data services.
    I'm at home now, so have nothing apart from the BB logo. I was in central london the other day and didn't really notice my phone going to 3G, but I'll keep tabs on it to see.
    WiFi is much faster than a carrier network.

Ask those with the fast loading phones what network they're on. You might simply be with a crappy provider.

Look at the upper right corner of your display. If it doesn't say 3G then you're connected to a much slower network. If so, try looking under Mobile Network Options and make sure Network Mode is set to Auto or 3G & 2G to ensure you're on the fastest available network. BTW, 3g is much slower than 3G.

Try a battery pull.
    Done the battery pull. Some of my friends are on the same provider and some are on O2. I have both phones set to 3G and 2G and on auto.

I fear that it might just be a combination of crap provider, the webpages going via RIM and the fact that I live in the arse end of nowhere.

Thanks for all the help.
    04-19-12 07:43 AM
    The pages going thru RIM actually speeds things up due to an amazingly effective compression.

Sounds like your problem is carrier/location related.

Sometimes 3G might be Available but if 2G is stringer your phone will switch to that. You might try setting your phone to 3G only and see how that works.

We have 5 bb's in our home and we don't usually see these issues.
    04-19-12 08:15 AM
    Hello,

I've seen a couple of threads relating to this from a couple of years back, but nothing newer. Why is it that if I try to get on the internet it takes forever to load? I can be in the same room with someone with a cheap crappy smartphone and they get pages to load instantly, but me and the other half with our new BBs (his is the curve, I have the torch) are sitting like lemons.

I am starting to really resent paying for something that I'm not using!

Any fixes or solutions gratefully accepted.
    This is exactly the same problem that I had with my 9800 on Orange. Wi-Fi was fine, moible network wasn't. After 3.5 months of going back and forward to tech support and receiving excuses about signal masks and then being sent a new sim card nothing solved the problem.

I have now got an iPhone on Orange and the signal issues seem to be mostly dissappeared.

Hi yes,

I'm in the UK. I'm used to almost zero mobile signal in the house (it's all granite) but in other places it says I have GPRS or EDGE access, but no joy. friends with phones like the HTC BB lookalike get lightening fast speeds in the same place as me, even if they are on orange like me. Email and messenger works fine. It's most annoying!

ETA: this was to Wuulfy, didn't expect such an amazingly fast response!
    This sounds much the same as me and while on the iPhone my signal in the house isn't 100% perfect it certainly is better than it was on the BB and the Orange -> T Mobile roaming works on the iPhone which never did on the BB.

Good luck, I feel your pain as I lived in the same position as you with all these issues for over 4 months
    04-21-12 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD