I have searched...and searched...and I still need help.

Live in Canada. Going to Europe. Telus international roaming rates are out of control. Phone is unlocked.

I realize that without BIS I will not have access to BBM or email. This is ok because I'm sure I will find wifi here and there (maybe I'll find a prepaid BIS plan???).

Question: If I purchase a prepaid SIM with data will I have access to other apps that do not required BIS ie. Browser, Google Maps, IM+, WhatsApp, etc.?

I can live without push email or bbm but I really need Google Maps and my browser.

Thank you very much in advance. I'm sure there is an answer to this question here in the forums but I can't seem to find it.
    08-07-12 01:38 PM
    All apps require BIS I'm pretty sure.

I know browser needs BIS, not sure about Google Maps, but I'm fairly sure it does.
    08-07-12 01:42 PM
    i was told no DATA will work without a bb data plan on a BB. I hope im wrong though hopefully someone posts why
    08-08-12 01:43 AM
    Why don't you get the prepaid sim with bis enabled? Vodafone has prepaid bis service available.
    08-08-12 02:21 AM
    To get BBM and other data services (including most of the apps) you must have a BIS activated with your data plan (you need a Blackberry data plan to use data services with your Blackberry).

If your Blackberry is unlocked you can use a SIM card from another carrier and the best thing to do when you leave your country is to get a local prepaid sim card with Blackberry data support...
    You will save money on local calls. plus, you will be able to use your prepaid sim card to connect to the Internet and use apps & services that requires BIS.

Once you put a SIM card from another carrier to your unlocked Blackberry Bold 9700 you will get SMS / Calls service right away but for the data you may need to update the service books on your unlocked Blackberry (Go to "host routing table" and click "Register now").
    08-08-12 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD