Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80
Like Tree46Likes
  1. AfroZepher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,186 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #51  

    Default

    What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..

    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and . . .
    Pandora®: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    you can also visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs for the apps you want . . .Want your favorite apps to Be on Blackberry 10? Let 'em know!!!!
  2. CrackedBarry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,242 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,318 Global Posts
    #52  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..
    ]
    Not really. BB 10 DOESN'T have any users. And you can't compare current BB users with WP users.
    Many, if not most of the current BB users aren't what you'd consider smartphone customers, but feature phone customers.
    There's no guarantee the current bb users will transfer to BB10. BB and BB10 aren't compatible, so in a way it's a fresh start with no users.

    And WP on the other hand has Microsoft behind it, it has Nokia behind it and its closely tied into Windows 8.

    In other words, if you're a developer with only the resources to support one new platform, it doesn't take many behind the envelope calculations to decide to go for WP support over BB.

    (Personally I don't think that there's room for neither BB or WP in the market, but lets revisit that in a year or so. RIM will probably keep selling cheap smartphones to developing countries for a few years, but there's not much developer dough to be made there, so....)
    Thanked by:
    bbwalkers (12-20-2012) 
    bbwalkers likes this.
  3. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    9,163 Posts
    #53  

    Default

    Don't believe everything you think...
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    mikeo007 likes this.
  4. mathking606's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    #54  

    Default

    I saw that there are already 117 000 apps already from @BlackBerryScoop who supposedly works with RIM.
  5. homer1475's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,236 Posts
    #55  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackedBarry View Post
    Many, if not most of the current BB users aren't what you'd consider smartphone customers, but feature phone customers.
    BlackBerry was a smartphone before anyone knew what a smartphone was, they invented the smartphone market. Now to call US feature phone users. Yeah ok. Please do tell me what makes your android or iphone anymore of a smartphone then my 9900, they all do the exact same thing, make phone calls, run apps, fetch email, and allow access to the web. I've seen quite a few low end android's I would consider a feature phone, long before I called a BB a feature phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackedBarry View Post
    Personally I don't think that there's room for neither BB or WP in the market
    So your happy with only having 2 choices, android and iphone? McD's and Burger king is enough fast food for you(since they are probably the tops in the fast food market)? You don't like wendys or taco bell, or arbys, or sonic or Kentucky fried chicken, or pizza hut, or so on and so on........

    You have a very warped sense of reality.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

    If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
  6. Jerky223's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #56  

    Default

    Interesting theory but I don't think that's the case. I think it's more of WebOS return on investment scenario.
    I'll explain, Devs built apps for WebOS like Skype, Angry Birds, etc. and it failed, not failed but HP gave up. I guess it's better to for Devs to take the wait and see approach.

    You hear all the time that it's easy to develop for BB10 and the big names can create the needed apps quickly if they haven't already. Not coming up and supporting on Day 1 will be bring backlash but I'm pretty sure once they see the potential they will come on board.
  7. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #57  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Its very interesting and maybe microsoft is giving the nail for 3rd because they supposedly give devs 600,000 (bribe maybe?)

    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
  8. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #58  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    No. It's simple, many of the big devs are playing the "watch and wait" game.
    In the case of Whatsapp, why would Apple blackmail them to stop them from being on ONE additional platform?
    It's already available on Android, Nokia, Symbian, BBOS and Windows phone.

    Some people around here are really starting to let the Apple hate impair even their most basic cognitive functions.
    This is the reality of the situation. No conspiracy. Devs don't want to invest resources in something that could potentially fall flat on its face. Do I think RIM has a good shot. I sure do.

    However it is do or die for RIM so its makes sense for devs to take a wait and see approach. There are also those who like what they see so far,have faith and therefore all in.

    Its Rims field of dreams...If they build it..they will come. If BlackBerry10 does well we can expect to see the apps that weren't there at launch to start showing up one by one.

    Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  9. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #59  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..

    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and . . .
    Pandora®: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    you can also visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs for the apps you want . . .Want your favorite apps to Be on Blackberry 10? Let 'em know!!!!
    They see a future with MS because WP8 can fail and the money will be there for WP9-10-11 etc.

    BlackBerry10 on the other hand, well let's just say if 10 fails in all likelihood there will be no 11.

    MS has the cash to stay relevant even it they aren't relevant lol they can try try try again. RIM cannot. Its do or die.

    Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  10. Jean-luc_Picard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    937 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #60  

    Default

    It's a possible explanation of what's going on, but it's also possible that Apple succeeds in their evil plan to thwart BB10, and then they achieve world domination, then after a few decades of Apple tyranny some people steal Apple's best technology and travel back in time to give it to RIM, which means that now RIM has advanced technology in BB10 that will make it such a superior product it will crush everything else on the market, which means that Apple dies and nobody comes back in time to give RIM the advanced technology, which means that Apple achieves world domination, which means... Okay, I may have gone overboard, but I think RIM's advanced technology from the future beats Apple's threats.
  11. aha
    aha is offline
    aha's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,973 Posts
    #61  

    Default

    Desperate time calls desperate measures

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Is apple giving developers the nail?

    Like a blackmail, you support bb10, and we no longer support you.

    You guys think that's possible?



    Sent from my Nintendo NES
  12. Chaplain_Clancy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #62  

    Default

    Short answer, no! Long answer, not at all!

    Apple doesn't need to put pressure on. They are the market leader. If you're going to make an app, you're going to start with iOS. They know that. You're also not going to ignore Android, even though it may cost you in having to code your app for a completely different platform. You're also not going to ignore Microsoft (regardless of their client base) since with most of the world using Microsoft products on their PC's, it's never safe to bet against them. RIM you can bet against. They just do phones (unless you're one who has heard of the PlayBook) and public perception is that they are a dead OS. Even with BB10 coming out, the consumer swing is against them. Coding for old ecosystem's is one thing, coding for something totally brand new is another. They never coded for Playbook's QNX which tells me they don't intend betting on a new OS against the old ones.
  13. badiyee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,227 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    PIN
    24E867DB
    #63  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackedBarry View Post
    Why would they support it? Seriously?

    It's a brand new platform with 50/50 chances of succeeding (or slightly worse, in reality).
    Why on earth would you go out and make a serious investment in money and time (which is even more money) when you don't know
    A: Whether it'll succeed at all.
    B: If it succeeds, will it only be in Nigeria and Indonesia, and not in the markets that are interesting for developers.
    C: if there will be serious bugs/technical issues.

    On top of all of that you can add a shrug and "Meh, I guess they can just use the Android App player. If I make an Android app I'm covered both ways.

    What any smart developer will do, is keep the playing field in mind, as well as the fact that its a 1.0 product and wait six months or a year and see how it's doing.

    In tech circles, among developers, media and bloggers RIM is considered pretty much dead by the side of the road already, so making the decision to go out and develop for it takes a lot of persuasion and consideration...
    If you say Devs aren't interested in making inroads to chat-based app in indonesia and nigeria, you're probably just being selectively biased (based on your posts in other threads) about how FaceBook just very recently changed their strategy to allow facebook messaging without signing up for a facebook account; activated in India, Indonesia, etc (predominantly BBM market) for costs of lower than 30cents USD per week.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
  14. texazzpete's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,578 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,579 Global Posts
    #64  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroZepher View Post
    What is interesting is the fact the Windows Phone has far less users that BB and the classic excuse dev use when aske dwhy no app for BB is the lack of users. . .I would at least hope devs would be more honest and say they simple don't see a future in the platform (how folks see a bigger future with WP vs. BB is beyond me . .. ) . ..
    Windows Phone has FAR more users than the Playbook...and naturally more users than BB10 (because it hasn't been released )

    There are more users with BBOS devices than WP, but nobody wants to develop for a dying OS that even the parent company isn't showing much love.
  15. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #65  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by texazzpete View Post
    Windows Phone has FAR more users than the Playbook...and naturally more users than BB10 (because it hasn't been released )

    There are more users with BBOS devices than WP, but nobody wants to develop for a dying OS that even the parent company isn't showing much love.
    I think your post is pure troll, sorry to say pal. You're comparing a Phone OS to a tablet OS? and we aren't talking about bbos, we are talking about bb10.

    It is receiving love so please, some facts would be awesome.


    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
  16. calicocat2010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,881 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,905 Global Posts
    #66  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    I think your post is pure troll, sorry to say pal. You're comparing a Phone OS to a tablet OS? and we aren't talking about bbos, we are talking about bb10.

    It is receiving love so please, some facts would be awesome.


    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Don't feed the troll asking him to share facts....
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
  17. sexybabe88's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    437 Posts
    #67  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    I think your post is pure troll, sorry to say pal. You're comparing a Phone OS to a tablet OS? and we aren't talking about bbos, we are talking about bb10.

    It is receiving love so please, some facts would be awesome.


    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    pb os and bb10 are essentially the same thing so it's a valid comparison. you cannot say that a dev should develop for blackberry because it has 80 million users when all 80 are on bbos and 0 on bb10. but you can assume that whatsapp developed for playbook would work on bb10.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  18. dtrue05's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOOOOURRNNNSSS
    #68  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    No. It's simple, many of the big devs are playing the "watch and wait" game.
    In the case of Whatsapp, why would Apple blackmail them to stop them from being on ONE additional platform?
    It's already available on Android, Nokia, Symbian, BBOS and Windows phone.

    Some people around here are really starting to let the Apple hate impair even their most basic cognitive functions.
    i agree, i think all the big devs are gonna be waiting to see the response and demand from the public. If bb10 gets huge momentum then there gonna jump aboard the bb10 wagon. until then there just gonna wait it out
  19. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #69  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by sexybabe88 View Post
    pb os and bb10 are essentially the same thing so it's a valid comparison. you cannot say that a dev should develop for blackberry because it has 80 million users when all 80 are on bbos and 0 on bb10. but you can assume that whatsapp developed for playbook would work on bb10.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

    Essentially, yes but I still feel it was a tablet comparison and everyone doesn't need a tablet and use one.

    People need a phone and even if the os is the same, it will have many more users than there are on the PlayBook.

    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
  20. southlander's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,499 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,501 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA
    #70  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    No. Apple is not worried enough about RIM to even try that type of thing. Not yet. If BB10 is a runaway hit, things might change. But even then it would be some sort of "exclusively develop for iOS" program. Not cash behind the scenes. It would be public. You'd not need to guess.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  21. Speedygi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,787 Global Posts
    #71  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Why would Whatsapp lose business by not releasing a BB10 version is beyond me..

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  22. Snowman888's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    208 Posts
    #72  

    Default

    I can't see that happening maybe indirectly by making their OS not play well with others.
  23. houshinto#IM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    950 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA07827
    #73  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ichat View Post
    Is apple giving developers the nail?

    Like a blackmail, you support bb10, and we no longer support you.

    You guys think that's possible?



    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Unlikely, only because if it was revealed as such Apple would be in a world of trouble.
    It probably has more to do with tepidness to embrace the platform until they feel the "consumer gives a green light".

    That or laziness.
  24. pkcable's Avatar


    Posts
    28,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,480 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!
    #74  

    Default

    Interestingly the converted android app DOES work on the Dev Alpha, so worstcase we will be able to sideload that. Now why they don't just convert it officially it a mystery.
  25. ichat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,581 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #75  

    Default Interesting Theory I Thought Of About Why Developers Aren't Supporting BB10 (whatsapp)

    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Interestingly the converted android app DOES work on the Dev Alpha, so worstcase we will be able to sideload that. Now why they don't just convert it officially it a mystery.
    Oh really?! Looking forward to that!



    Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Thanks For Reading My Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 12:40 AM
  2. just thought of something
    By gregerator in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
  3. Has anyone thought of.....
    By Raneciansamaiya in forum Sprint
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 01:17 PM
  4. What are your thoughts of the Blackberry OS?
    By trebb in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 04:56 AM
  5. I thought of all of us when I read this...
    By SuzisZoo in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Posting Permissions