I have been trying to push a few friends towards BB for a few years now. It never took hold mainly bc of the app gap. Now that BB has put out an android phone, effectively quashing that issue, I was psyched to tell my friends about the Priv. I figured they would love it. Some great features only BB offers, plus all the apps. A couple of them chose to research the phone and ultimately ended up on this site. Both friends have decided against buying the phone at this time because of their short time reading this forum. That seemed a little ridiculous to me and so I chose to take a look. Literally 5 of the 6 trending topics (first thing you see) were about how awful the Priv is. I read through and from my perspective most of it was unfounded. Peoplewhining about the delivery time, or the fact that its not available with BB10, or even the battery life and build quality. Both of which I found to be excellent from the time I spent with the phone. In short, it seems like many people are likely hating on it just bc it is android and not BB10. Which is ironic, bc that is what everyone used to do to BB10. They had no legitimate experiences with the phone, but they bashed just bc it was BB10 and not android and IOS.

Clearly everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if posting all that venom is something you feel obligated to do, then you should. I just think its interesting that the people who call themselves loyalists and want this company to survive are quite possibly hindering the sales of what could be BB's last chance at keeping a handset business going. Again, this is not a "soapbox" moment. Everyone should do what they feel is appropriate. I just thought the irony was worth pointing out.
    11-08-15 06:45 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry...
    11-08-15 06:48 PM
    There are also many positive reviews.

posted by either my Passport or S6 Edge, depending on my mood.
    11-08-15 07:32 PM
    It's an interesting anecdote, for sure. One of the biggest reasons to support a company is because you like the products that company makes. I'm sure a lot of people here were fans of BBOS and BB10, as well as the hardware, and would continue to support the company if it meant being able to buy new devices with BB10 on them.

I kinda felt like this division was bound to happen; the day when people would have to choose between supporting BlackBerry the software and products and BlackBerry the company. There are a lot of legitimate reasons to not be a BlackBerry supporter if BlackBerry won't produce BB10 devices anymore. There are a lot of other compelling Android manufacturers out there, but only one making BB10.
    11-08-15 07:59 PM
    Sorry I don't dislike android for no reason. I bought what was a top notch android just a year and a half ago and for eight months I tried to make it work for me. After struggling I found my way back to BlackBerry 10 and won't be heading back that way.

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul and anon(9188202) like this.
    11-08-15 08:10 PM
    Do you friends know that you are pushing them towards the Priv because you feel that this might be BlackBerry's last chance at the handset business? As others read this thread are they more or less inclined to buy the Priv? They already know that you are a BlackBerry supporter so, perhaps, they were looking for something more objective when they came here?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-08-15 08:12 PM
    That's a fair comment, Flash. However, people should consider that the only way BB can continue to possibly develop for and make hardware for BB10 is for their Android counterparts to be financially successful. If Priv doesn't sell you have to assume BB exits the handset business. If it does well, they could continue to produce Android and possibly BB 10 phones. Basically the profits from the android sales could cover the losses they take on BB10. Plus I have just never felt the need to bash something I don't particularly like. I just move on. Especially when the opinions expressed by some don't appear to be on the up and up. They are upset at the departure from BB10 and so they choose to hurt the company further. I suppose it's just not my style.
    11-08-15 08:13 PM
    Do you friends know that you are pushing them towards the Priv because you feel that this might be BlackBerry's last chance at the handset business? As others read this thread are they more or less inclined to buy the Priv? They already know that you are a BlackBerry supporter so, perhaps, they were looking for something more objective when they came here?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I was never pushing BB because I thought it was their last chance at the handset business. Where did I state that? I was pushing it because its a productivity workhorse and now they would have access to all of the apps, which was their reasoning for not trying it earlier. And, yes, I imagine they were looking for objective opinions. You seem to have missed the point of my post though. I was simply pointing out the irony of the situation. BB loyalists have been complaining for years that no one gives BB10 a fair shake, and now they appear to be doing the same thing. That's all.
    11-08-15 08:20 PM
    BlackBerry and its merry band of bonehead executives still haven't managed to see the writing on the wall. It reads:

"Your time in the sun is long over - you are now irrelevant and obsolete".

This is not an exaggeration. It's a cold hard fact which so many people are in denial about. The world has moved on drastically since BlackBerry rode the wave of instant communications. They simply can't compete in a cut-throat multi-billion dollar mobile computing environment that is changing faster than people change their underwear.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-08-15 08:25 PM
    I would never recommend a BlackBerry to a friend or relative. They will not thank you. This has been true since perhaps 2009.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-08-15 08:49 PM
    BlackBerry and its merry band of bonehead executives still haven't managed to see the writing on the wall. It reads:

"Your time in the sun is long over - you are now irrelevant and obsolete".

This is not an exaggeration. It's a cold hard fact which so many people are in denial about. The world has moved on drastically since BlackBerry rode the wave of instant communications. They simply can't compete in a cut-throat multi-billion dollar mobile computing environment that is changing faster than people change their underwear.
    What do you do for a job? Maybe your job is pointless and you should give up.

It's their job to change the writing on the wall. You act like they should give up, go bankrupt and go be unemployed. [Insert two word action].

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:01 PM
    There are different kinds of loyalists on this site. Those loyal to BlackBerry and those loyal to BB10.

I consider myself the latter. I'm not going to buy the Priv because to me, it's not a true BlackBerry. I'm here for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:06 PM
    The phone is a beauty!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:10 PM
    That's a fair comment, Flash. However, people should consider that the only way BB can continue to possibly develop for and make hardware for BB10 is for their Android counterparts to be financially successful. If Priv doesn't sell you have to assume BB exits the handset business. If it does well, they could continue to produce Android and possibly BB 10 phones. Basically the profits from the android sales could cover the losses they take on BB10. Plus I have just never felt the need to bash something I don't particularly like. I just move on. Especially when the opinions expressed by some don't appear to be on the up and up. They are upset at the departure from BB10 and so they choose to hurt the company further. I suppose it's just not my style.
    I understand what you mean. I disagree with anyone knocking something without ever trying it. I think the Priv will pleasantly surprise a lot of people.

But, at the same time, it's going to be very hard convincing people to buy something they know they don't like so that maybe (and that's a very heavy "maybe") BlackBerry will make a BB10 device in the future. I can't see BlackBerry making BB10 devices at a loss, especially when BlackBerry probably stands to gain more from making differentiated Android devices.

I hope a lot of people on CrackBerry will give the Priv a fair shot. But I understand those that love BB10. For a lot of people, iOS is more compelling than Android, and other manufacturers make more compelling Android experiences and devices than BlackBerry. The only separator was BB10.
    11-08-15 09:15 PM
    I don't hate the phone, but this forum is not just for gushing about anything that Blackberry churns out. This forum is for discussing likes as well as dislikes of their product, and its the same on every forum dedicated to their respective platforms. If someone was serious about buying a device they would go look at it in a store or read reviews from reputable sites. Sounds to me like they weren't really interested in buying and are using this as an excuse to get you to quit bugging them about buying it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-09-15 05:56 AM
    Yeah! We are making BlackBerry not to sell devices! Aren't we?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:36 AM
    Incorrect. These are two of my best friends. They would readily tell me to F off if they weren't interested in hearing about it. You all make it seem like I was beating down their doors. I simply let them know about the phone because they had always commented how productive I was with my BB, but they wouldn't give up google play store.

In response to your first comment, I don't believe I suggested people should come and gush about the phone. I was once again simply pointing out the irony in the BB "loyalists" coming here to trash the phone after having it, or not having it, for maybe 24 hours. Similar to what everyone else used to do to BB10. Why is this seemingly so hard to grasp? I don't get it.
    11-09-15 09:54 AM
    So they will end up with BB10 according ti all the ppl (me too) saying that it's a superior OS

:-P

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    11-09-15 12:35 PM
    BB10 Os is simply the best. No BB10 Priv , no more BlackBerry phones for me. Until my passport dies..

  
    11-09-15 02:33 PM
    I would never recommend a BlackBerry to a friend or relative. They will not thank you. This has been true since perhaps 2009.
    I've recommended and offered a BlackBerry to my girlfriend and her sister too. A Q5 and a curve if I remember exactly.
    They have thanked me because it is exactly what they need : texting and mailing. The PKB is a great feature to them.
    This has been true since 2014.

From Passport with love and bb10.3.2.2474
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    11-12-15 10:32 PM
    I've recommended and offered a BlackBerry to my girlfriend and her sister too. A Q5 and a curve if I remember exactly.
    They have thanked me because it is exactly what they need : texting and mailing. The PKB is a great feature to them.
    This has been true since 2014.

Until they find out that there is an app that they need but can not get.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and BerrySoul like this.
    11-12-15 11:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have have recommended BB 10 phones to all my relatives, family and friends, 10 relatives, 4 immediate family members, and 6 friends, and they all got one BB10. They are all very happy. Lucky they.

  
    11-13-15 01:29 AM
    You should become a stock broker or insurance salesman or run for President. You have a gift.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-13-15 07:33 AM
    Until they find out that there is an app that they need but can not get.

Posted via CB10
    Hi haven't seen your replie here. Do you know that there's people out there who don't need apps? They are perfectly fine without them. Yes some people don't need app!
    I've heard that some people use smartphone just to make call, text, and email...
    And I don't really understand how they perform such an amazing behaviour ;-)

Blackerthanblack likes this.
    11-26-15 12:59 AM
    My friend who is a BB loyalist held on to his Z10 for as long as he could and was relieved the Priv came along to satisfy his screen, camera and App needs. He was never interested in Z30, Classic, Passport (too wide) and definitely not the Leap. When I saw him with the Priv he proudly showed me the camera, video, vivid screen and Apps. His reaction was like he was in a dark room for so long. Now that he has App freedom, he's enjoying his phone more. Lastly, he's just as "productive" with his new phone. This is one of the markets BB is targeting - long term BB users that are just fed up with living with just the basic smartphone needs and are about to jump to Android or IOS.
    Moseo13 likes this.
    11-26-15 03:11 AM
34 12