I'm new to the smart phone scene, and just purchased my first Blackberry. I was offered the insurance coverage from Verizon, but I'm not sure if I should get it. As I understand the policy, in the event that my phone needs to be replaced, I would receive a refurbished phone (not new). $6 or $7 would be tacked onto my bill each month, and I'd have to pay $85 for each claim. If that's the case, am I better off just picking up a refurbished online somewhere (eBay, etc.), or should I get the insurance. I guess I'm curious as to what would be more cost efficient. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    07-13-09 11:00 AM
    It is no secret, optional insurance it a revenue generator for the carrier. They will come out ahead in the long run.

If you compare the cost of a typical light used/refurbished model, with shipping, it will cost a lot more then a years insurance plus the claim.

On the other hand, the convenience of doing a carrier exchange under the insurance policy has a lot to say for itself.

Referbished usually means the phone has been returned in the past, the internal parts are tested and reassembled in a new case. It is the equivalent of a new phone.
    07-13-09 11:08 AM
    I just had to use my insurance for one of the phones on my plan with Alltel. I pay $7 a month for the insurance. On the smart phones, I have a $95 deductible. I called in and was able to negotiate the deductable. They put a credit on my account for the $95 and my wife walked out with a brand new phone. She went from an 8130 pearl to an 8330 Curve. There was a deal on the Curve's so we actually ended up with $45 net credit to our account (after the mail in rebate).

This was the first time I've had to use the insurance plan in the 5+ years that I had it. So, in the end, it's like any other insurance. You will never come out ahead of the carrier. But when stuff happens, it's nice to have.

My insurance plan doesn't require me to get a refurbished phone, I get a new one. I've been very happy with Alltel, they treat me well. Especially after they pull up my account and see how long I've been with them. This is one company that I actually have respect for.
    Last edited by Dirtbag; 07-13-09 at 12:01 PM.
    07-13-09 11:55 AM
    It may be me being superstitious (which I am known for being ), but I feel much better having the insurance. With my luck, the time something big happened to my phone would be the day I cancelled it. I realize Verizon is probably making a killing off of me, but I sleep better at night. Call me naiive
    07-13-09 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD