This isn't a huge issue but am curious...

I have a friend who has a blackberry not sure the model... As well as another friend with a Motorola Que. Whenever they log on to instant messengers like AIM or Yahoo they show a little mobile icon next to their screen name.

Apparently, when I log on mine shows up without any of that. I'm using JiveTalk, but the same thing happened even when using the Yahoo Messenger software... Icon still missing.

Is there a way of enabling it or does everyone not have it show up with the newer berry's and software.

Thanks for your help...

~Matt
    01-14-08 08:10 PM
    The icon is for Mobile IM or Mobile forwarding. JiveTalk logs you in as if you were on a PC so the icon won't show. Don't think there is a way to do it since technically you aren't on a "mobile" service with the BB IM programs ... I think.

You can set your status to "On Mobile" or "On Blackberry" if thats what you're looking for however.
    Last edited by azeis; 01-14-08 at 08:20 PM.
    01-14-08 08:18 PM
    In the regular computer yahoo messenger, there is an option to sign in or switch over to your mobile device. I cannot remember if it does this automatically when you sign in to the stand alone version for BlackBerry.

I just checked, and it didn't show me as being mobile. YMMV

(edit) Expanding on my previous reply, if you have your computer yahoo messenger set to sign in to your mobile device, it will send sms messages every time someone sends you an IM....That is not good. Data is good. Not text.
    Last edited by emptydarkone; 01-14-08 at 08:39 PM.
    01-14-08 08:35 PM
    Its not a huge deal, but it would be nice if people knew I was mobile... They think you are sitting at a pc and freely available.
    01-14-08 09:58 PM
    With the stand alone Yahoo messenger on my BlackBerry, I can set the status message just like you can with the regular version for the PC.
    01-14-08 10:07 PM
    Its not a huge deal, but it would be nice if people knew I was mobile... They think you are sitting at a pc and freely available.
    I got that a lot too when I started using JiveTalk. You just need to learn to make use of the status and away messages.
    01-14-08 11:47 PM
    I understand what you mean about wanting people to know you are mobile and might not be as readily assessible as normal...you might change your status to mobile so then you dont have to pay for SMS messages.
    01-15-08 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD