Its a real shame that so many think that FB and twitter will run the world. These services have their advantages, however for privacy concerns I think not. The sad news is that many are no longer using AIM, Yahoo, MSN, or Google Talk. What do you think? FB has a real problem with privacy and it also lacks many of the features in a traditional IM service such as video & audio chat. What do you think?
    04-19-12 08:31 AM
    I think you're right. I don't use social networking. I'd much rather use any of the messengers that are cross platform.
    04-19-12 08:45 AM
    I think you're right. I don't use social networking. I'd much rather use any of the messengers that are cross platform.
    They also can do file transfers which FaceBook cannot do. Also people that think FB replaces message boards like this site are wrong. FB I have noticed is not very good for discussions like this.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-19-12 09:06 AM
    I still run most of the IM apps (through Trillian), but fewer and fewer people are on them. I do end up chatting a lot more now on Kik, since everyone is on different platforms.
    04-19-12 03:16 PM
    i have little to no use for FB as a messaging platform.. the folks i know use it as an email replacement, not a messaging replacement
    04-19-12 03:45 PM
    I love instant messaging programs. I find them most useful for keeping in touch with loved ones, and make extensive use of computer to computer voice and video calls using the following services:

* AIM
    * Yahoo
    * MSN
    * oovoo

Why anyone would choose facebook over any of these is beyond me. Instant messaging services keep people together, especially in long distance relationships. In my opinion, facebook is not social, it's for narcissists, for people who are in love with themselves: "Look at me!"
    04-19-12 06:28 PM
    I love instant messaging programs. I find them most useful for keeping in touch with loved ones, and make extensive use of computer to computer voice and video calls using the following services:

* AIM
    * Yahoo
    * MSN
    * oovoo

Why anyone would choose facebook over any of these is beyond me. Instant messaging services keep people together, especially in long distance relationships. In my opinion, facebook is not social, it's for narcissists, for people who are in love with themselves: "Look at me!"
    Got that right. Its also a security issue. With online dating so many just wanted me to give them my FB info, and I refused and said we needed to chat on a IM network before FB. Most dont even know what they are.
    04-20-12 12:00 AM
    Don't forget LiveProfile, Hookt, and KiK messenger.
    04-20-12 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD