Hi everyone, I'm new to Crackberry so please forgive me if this has been asked. I can't find it anywhere if it was asked.

I have a Rogers Torch 9810. I want it to work on Wind, and I know because of Rogers being 1900Mhz, it's not possible.

But are the phones on the inside different? If I load the phone with a Wind OS, will that work?

I bought the phone used, and was told it was a Wind phone. I was stupid and didn't test which is something I never fail to do. I always test, I'm so thorough. I couldn't test at the time because the phone was wiping, which takes forever on the 9900 (40 minutes on mine). I waited about 20 min for the Torch to wipe and decided to just leave. The guy didn't seem uncomfortable and was OK waiting to test with me. Even though it wasn't a Wind phone, and he said it was a Rogers, he wasn't worried I would discover and call him on it with him in person.

So I know this is my fault for not testing. Which takes me to a Rogers phone that I wonder if I could install the Wind software from RIM on it. Or is the physical antenna different on the1700MHz.

Thanks everyone!

Ron
    02-03-12 11:00 AM
    it won't work, you should've researched before you bought it.
    02-03-12 11:22 AM
    Changing the OS won't make a difference it has different radio transmitters. You will get 2G but that is about it no 3G/4G as it is on different bands.

CS
    Last edited by CanuckSoldier; 02-03-12 at 11:44 AM.
    02-03-12 11:42 AM
    I didn't meant to buy a Rogers phone, that was the point of my post.

My question really is, what tells the phone to work on 1900Mhz, Firmware, or Software.

it won't work, you should've researched before you bought it.
    02-03-12 12:17 PM
    I didn't meant to buy a Rogers phone, that was the point of my post.

My question really is, what tells the phone to work on 1900Mhz, Firmware, or Software.
    Firmware is Software stored in persistent memory. What "tells" the phone what frequencies to use is the installed hardware radio transmitters. You can not change these. Best to sell the phone for as much as you can get and buy a phone that has the same freqs as Wind.

CS
    02-03-12 12:38 PM
    Ok cool so nothing can be done.

Was hoping it was the OS.

When RIM is building the phones, guess they have multiple different manufacturing lines for different 9800s hardwarewise for example.

Was hoping it wasn't firmware. No such thing as flashing a Blackberry's firmware?
    02-03-12 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD