https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prester_John

In the 'Dark Ages,' Europeans were under siege at various times by invading Moslems and Mongols. As religion tends to be a proxy for ethnic conflict, the Europeans imagined a Christ-like king (of the 'kick-*** Jesus' variety) in a Christian (read European) kingdom far to the east. This would-be savior was always just beyond the farthest hill, ready at any moment to ride into town, take names, and chew bubble gum. His name was Prester John.

This story seemed viable at the time since most people were illiterate, would never venture farther than ten miles from their birthplace, and Google StreetView(R) had not yet been invented. Of course, this notion was ludicrous, but it made a lot of people feel better about their perilous time.

Bizarrely, Indonesia has been touted in BlackBerry circles as some miraculous tropical nursery of global salvation, full of fervent adherents husbanding the One True BlackBerry Faith(R), from whom the embers of one-time smartphone domination will reignite a mighty flame of financial counterjihad. The tale has been told since days of yore, well back in BIS days. This comfortable . . . fantasy . . . is contrary to all facts and logic. Indonesia is BlackBerry's Prester John.

Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 09-28-16 at 12:16 PM.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 11:55 AM
    *Ehem*

As an Indonesian, I appreciate the sentiment. But would you please elaborate?
    09-28-16 02:55 PM
    He's saying that if the western world is looking to Indonesia to save BB (smartphones) for the rest of the world, they're fooling themselves.
    Jack Chin and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 11:39 PM
    Ah... so.
    Well, we'll see to it, now, won't we? Who knows, they could actually prosper in Indonesia--even if it's not for the rest of the world. If my government is open to them, I say, why not? Let's give it a shot.

I know for a fact that my beloved President have something specific in mind with regards to BBM.
    09-29-16 12:11 AM
    Ah... so.
    Well, we'll see to it, now, won't we? Who knows, they could actually prosper in Indonesia--even if it's not for the rest of the world. If my government is open to them, I say, why not? Let's give it a shot.

I know for a fact that my beloved President have something specific in mind with regards to BBM.
    It's quite possible that the Indonesian OEM could make a successful BB/Android phone for their home market - one customized for local tastes and needs. I'm certainly not discounting that.

But that in and of itself won't mean anything to the rest of the world - and it wouldn't necessarily make those phones marketable or profitable elsewhere.
    09-29-16 12:32 AM
    I'm as Indonesian myself not quite sure many of my friends has move on unfortunately
    09-29-16 12:35 AM
    I'm as Indonesian myself not quite sure many of my friends has move on unfortunately
    I agree that it's likely to be an uphill challenge. I think success is unlikely, but not (yet) impossible. But as you point out, even Indonesians - BB's strongest remaining region - has been moving away from BB at pretty incredible speeds. This whole plan would have stood a much better chance of success even a year ago. Today? It's pretty risky.
    09-29-16 12:46 AM

PT BB Merah putih (red and white)
    09-29-16 12:59 AM
    http://m.detik.com/inet/read/2016/09...uatan-cikarang

Some story from Jakarta that said it will produce 300k smartphone per 6 months
    09-29-16 01:04 AM
    http://m.detik.com/inet/read/2016/09...uatan-cikarang

Some story from Jakarta that said it will produce 300k smartphone per 6 months
    That figure is equivalent to Blackberry's Indonesian sales from two years ago. Those were BB10 and legacy BBOS sales, of course.

See: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle21432165/

I don't see how they're going to sell over a half-million BB-branded smartphones in Indonesia, given the brand's deprecated standing even there, along with massive Android competition at all price points. I guess it's a goodwill play. The brand isn't totally toxic there, so the marketer presumably plans to get a price bump on whatever rebranded handset they push. The Idol 4 deal would be the model. Maybe it will be worthwhile!

(I wonder if any current BlackBerry principals are involved in this deal, namely Watsa?)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 09-30-16 at 09:46 AM.
    09-30-16 09:30 AM