This is straight from a Telus Tech:

Google maps uses a common IP port to access the gps on our system. We block this application in order to push subscriptions to Telus Navigator. Other third party apps aren't blocked because they use multiple IP ports to access the GPS. Bell users even though they share our network can access Google Maps because the network Port and IP has been allowed. It is unlikely that this will change with out multiple complaints so feel free to notify everyone to call or email tech support requesting access to Google Maps GPS.

If you complain here we may be able to stop this control of our devices:
    http /about.telus.com/cgi-bin/tcontactus.cgi
    ** Send complaints here **

Also he confirmed the new Network launch for mid October early November and the ability to purchase unlocked phones for use on telus once you receive your SIM card.

In case you were interested
    07-24-09 12:14 PM
    so this only effects Telus users....might want to put that in the title....
    07-24-09 12:33 PM
    These forums seem to be made up mostly of verizon/american customers. I don't see many (certainly not enough to raise any alarms at telus, even if everyone complained) telus users here. You may want to try a place with a dedicated Telus forum, like howard forums, to get your point across. You may have a better chance of getting alot of people to respond. I would complain, but being on MTS I don't think they'd like to hear from me.
    07-24-09 12:46 PM
    This is straight from a Telus Tech:

Google maps uses a common IP port to access the gps on our system. We block this application in order to push subscriptions to Telus Navigator. Other third party apps aren't blocked because they use multiple IP ports to access the GPS. Bell users even though they share our network can access Google Maps because the network Port and IP has been allowed. It is unlikely that this will change with out multiple complaints so feel free to notify everyone to call or email tech support requesting access to Google Maps GPS.

If you complain here we may be able to stop this control of our devices:
    http /about.telus.com/cgi-bin/tcontactus.cgi
    ** Send complaints here **

Also he confirmed the new Network launch for mid October early November and the ability to purchase unlocked phones for use on telus once you receive your SIM card.

In case you were interested
    Let me throw out a curve ball at ya. I don't believe that statement is entirely accurate...
    Google Maps 3.0.2 works perfect with OS 5.0.0.140 on the TELUS storm.
    I know because i had it on my Storm for about 4 days until I downgraded back to .151 because of lost browser and BBM.
    Something in the OS changed from 4.7 to 5.0 to allow Google Maps to function perfectly on the TELUS Storm... I had a lock of 3m ALL THE TIME!!!
    07-24-09 12:57 PM
    **** telus. I'm starting to hate them more than rogers. and i HATE me some rogers.
    07-24-09 01:04 PM
    I'm with Telus. Had the same experience as Sparro on 5.0. Google Maps worked perfectly after the upgrade. When I went back down to .151, it stopped.
    07-24-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD