I have noticed a pattern that I'm sure all of you are aware of. RIM likes to announce product early and stimulate rumors so people wait beyond the contract expiration since they introduce new models at such large intervals. Competitors always have new stuff out and will pickup new contracts without using the carrot at the end of the stick.

I recently installed a Hybrid created by by Delfteo on my 9000 and compared to the official AT&T OS it is light years ahead. It even beats some of the later unofficial OS's from other carriers.

Seemed to me that if software is so important "See Google" than why not have a small team of RIM people constantly working to improve devices out in the field. If I were to simply let DM decide for me what goes on my phone then we all know damn well I would have run out the door screaming and headed for the nearest mobile retailer and signed up.

I realize a lot of the performance gains are from removing all the garbage software from my phone. It amazes me RIM is not instrumental in educating people about this problem and or simply offering a way to strip it out through DM if it is possible to get that past the carriers. At the very least promote "Ways to Improve performance" at high levels on the RIM website that take you to their forums where RIM/People provide the means/info to improve your device.

Improving devices in the wild keeps people with RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-30-11 at 12:30 PM.
    07-30-11 11:08 AM
    Companies make more money off of turn around than updating old, outdated devices.
    07-30-11 11:13 AM
    My contract expired 8 months ago on my 9000, what did/does RIM have to offer me???

07-30-11 11:22 AM
    Product life is getting shorter now with faster development cycle. Manufacturer will plan and built the phones according to expected life of the phone.
    As product evolve with competition's putting pressure on you, your timeline may change and your product have to evolve faster, with more complex software and added functions.this means more processing power and ram,basically.
    So in short, os6 was probably never planned for 9000because the phone is only designed to go to os5...slow,laggy and crashing,low memory.
    Worst thing that can happened is that you are forced to rethink and change your os, as rim do now, so you would need to rethink the whole product mix..hardware, software,life expectancy and so on.and legacy devices may not be upgradeable to new os..hwnce people concerned that os7 is just buying time for qnx, and qnx phones are different. And so on.

Yawnnnnz:-) :-) :-)
    K Bear likes this.
    07-30-11 11:24 AM
    The Torch 9800.
    07-30-11 11:24 AM
    to strip it out through DM if it is possible ...
    When you use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to Install the OS software, there is a configuration screen that give you near total control over which components are installed or removed.

A shrink or hybrid OS will have the optional components deleted for you. That may simplify the process, but there is no option to restore or replace the missing components.
    07-30-11 11:28 AM
    Touchpad folks are getting crazy, their first updates ddue to come in very soon

07-30-11 11:39 AM
    When you use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to Install the OS software, there is a configuration screen that give you near total control over which components are installed or removed.
    Yes I know, what does that have to do with my point that:

If better support for existing products produces MUCH less desire to upgrade than the super long RIM product cycles would be Much more tolerable for Blackberry users.

A shrink or hybrid OS will have the optional components deleted for you. That may simplify the process, but there is no option to restore or replace the missing components.
    So why not educate the public on how to make RIM products Much more functional by improving and or reducing their OS's via high level links on the RIM website? Lead customers to the necessary info. I don't know how or if the carriers limit functionality of DM but they could add shrinking functionality to DM. If some scumbag lawyers prevented them from doing that then put links on the RIM home page leading to their forum or other forums to educate people how to reduce an OS or install a better OS or even create a hybrid. Connect people with the means to improve their devices and maybe stem the outrage we see here everyday about new devices not being out yet.

Last edited by olblueyez; 07-30-11 at 12:09 PM.
    07-30-11 12:06 PM
    The Torch 9800.
    If I don't want a slider than it's pretty much a lateral move. My point is I have taken the time to tune up my 9000 and don't have a need for a less than perfect upgrade. Don't you think stretching my 9000's life span and getting the 9900 was better for me? If people could tune a blackberry than all the disgusting threads where people Moan and Moan and Moan about new models and problems could be reduced a great deal. This would promote more sales for RIM for a plethora of reasons.

Isn't that what everyone says, RIM needs more programming talent? Use a small portion of it to keep current Blackberry owners happy until the next Blackberry device they like comes along.

Why not promote longevity since new Blackberry's take so long to design and build?

Last edited by olblueyez; 07-30-11 at 12:44 PM.
    07-30-11 12:41 PM
    If I don't want a slider than it's pretty much a lateral move. My point is I have taken the time to tune up my 9000 and don't have a need for a less than perfect upgrade. Don't you think stretching my 9000's life span and getting the 9900 was better for me? If people could tune a blackberry than all the disgusting threads where people Moan and Moan and Moan about new models and problems could be reduced a great deal. This would promote more sales for RIM for a plethora of reasons.

Isn't that what everyone says, RIM needs more programming talent? Use a small portion of it to keep current Blackberry owners happy until the next Blackberry device they like comes along.

Why not promote longevity since new Blackberry's take so long to design and build?

IMO, you should wait for 2nd gen QNX devices to roll out.
    07-30-11 02:44 PM
    I may just end up with a 2nd Gen QNX my friend. I think I wil get a 9900 or Monaco in the mean time just because I love new gadgets.

07-30-11 02:52 PM
    Do people always seem to expect a company to rush out with devices that aren't fully ready for use? Do they then want to keep complaining about bugs, glitches and 'my device doesn't work HELP!!!1111" all the time? (no pun intended)

I think having a little patience can go along way. Hybrid builders have a good way of mixing stuff right to the perfect cook in the kitchen. Even if they can do better than the company who makes the OS's, it's always a way for user improvisation (I think I got that right). I wouldn't blame RIM, it's the carriers which sometimes add trash to the OS once they receive it.

07-30-11 03:44 PM
    Yes I know it was ATT who bloated my phone. I just think if RIM doesn't have a way around this than they should plug places like Crackberry and other forums so more people are able to enjoy their phones they way we do.

Imagine:

You go to the RIM website on your 9000/4.6. On the home page is a link that says "IMPROVE PERFORMANCE ON YOUR CURRENT RIM DEVICE" and it takes you to RIM's own forum where people like us are able upload hybrids or link to unofficial OS's and post "How to Shrink Your OS" walkthroughs etc. Links to other Blackberry resources would be great too, like Crackberry.

Then you follow this link with your slow azz 9000/4.6 and discover everything you need to fine tune the software on your 9000. Then you still have 40mb of memory left after you install your favorite apps. Now your Browsing speed is 200% quicker and you never see the hour glass any more.

When I did this last year I ended up liking my 9000 MORE than I ever have and that's because it never performed properly with out the proper set up.

Now I am loyal to RIM because my hardware quality is second to none and I am able to customize my software for the best performance and KEEP & ENJOY MY PHONE LONGER THAN A FEW MONTHS, ELIMINATING MY NEED TO UPGRADE UNTIL RIM HAS DEVELOPED ANOTHER PROPER DEVICE.

This would also eliminate a lot of the squalor surounding the next device launch and phone problems in general.

But not if people don't know about it.

07-30-11 04:41 PM
    running leaked/hybrids voids the warranty and tech support wont be able to help you. Encouraging users to do this would be stupid on RIMs part.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-30-11 05:13 PM
    Stupid is RIM letting the carriers destroy the usable functionality of their products and having potential Blackberry loyalists dying to jump ship for a Moto, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Apple etc.

How long is the average warranty and how long was it between the 9000 9800 & 9900?

I never said to abandon common sense. Didn't I see a video of Kevin getting the grand tour of RIM?

07-30-11 07:06 PM

Its hardware limitation and compatibility. Cant use pentium 2 to load windows vista..the product life time is much shorter now.
    And new products means sales.legacy devices support will built good product image and perception of longevity thus people will upgrade or suggest new product to their friends...look, my 9000 still work well after 5 years! And so on.
    But you can only go so far in the game, producing facelifted products, until people start changing their perception of what they want, what they need and what they should get, and suddenly all your product looks archaic and you are getting pressure from all corner to produce something revolutionary.thats where rim is right now. Rock and a hard place.

07-30-11 07:10 PM
    Your saying RIM should compete directly with Apple and Android and produce "so called" revolutionary products every year? And forget keeping Blackberry customers happy between product cycles?

07-30-11 09:53 PM
    RIM is going thru a transition period. I am pretty sure OS 6 progress stopped a while ago. I want them to focus on QNX but i think OS 7 will remain on many phones for another 2 years basically.

releasing new and better products every year will keep customers plenty happy. Just becuase the OS number gets higher doesnt always mean its better either. The way RIMs OS releases are you cant say for sure you are going to keep the people happy anyway with more progression thru the OS. I think OS7 will remain the same. QNX will be when this all changes hopefully but that isnt a certainty either.
    07-30-11 10:14 PM
    Software is a product and can be released more often. RIM doesn't release new hardware as often as the others. My instincts tell me they won't be releasing new handsets as often as the competitors for quite some time too. That requires a new business model to be installed and for it to be successful.

07-30-11 10:27 PM
    Software is a product and can be released more often. RIM doesn't release new hardware as often as the others. My instincts tell me they won't be releasing new handsets as often as the competitors for quite some time too. That requires a new business model to be installed and for it to be successful.

actually RIM was releasing new products every year but they are just refreshes. The difference is just how the timing has worked out this year and no new devices yet.

storm 1->storm 2
    tour->bold->9930
    9700->9780->9900
    torch->torch 2
    etc

The refreshes just finally caught up to them. the storm1 actually had good, maybe even great hardware inside of it when it was released. The 9000 was good too. BUT RIM did the same processor speed for the next 3 years basically will other minimal bumps in memory and such. This is what lead them to be so far behind and a stock price of 25 bucks instead of 144 like it was back in 08
    07-30-11 10:47 PM
    Your right, a refresh isn't a new device.

Last edited by olblueyez; 07-31-11 at 08:27 AM.
    07-31-11 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD