I want to have the option to compress data if I want to
    That isn't what I asked.
    08-29-13 08:03 AM
    I can honestly say that, talking to people about data plans, no one cares about compression. Generally the customers on legacy BB who come in, when I explain how data compression worked and why they'll need more data on their new phone, are okay with it because they'll be able to actually do things they can't do now.

So I guess, since Apple bought them and it has nothing to do with data compression, the answer is still no, it's still really a non issue for the majority of the wireless buying public.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    So I guess, since Apple bought them and it has nothing to do with data compression, the answer is still no, it's still really a non issue for the majority of the wireless buying public here in Canada and the United States.

BIS is still a great asset in Africa, South America and Asia where land lines are not like we have and their wireless infrastructure is weak. I don't understand why BB doesn't sell an all touch BIS phone for these markets or license that technology out.
    08-29-13 08:51 AM
    So I guess, since Apple bought them and it has nothing to do with data compression, the answer is still no, it's still really a non issue for the majority of the wireless buying public here in Canada and the United States.

BIS is still a great asset in Africa, South America and Asia where land lines are not like we have and their wireless infrastructure is weak. I don't understand why BB doesn't sell an all touch BIS phone for these markets or license that technology out.
    They did sell the full touch torch and curve, the reality is that's not what people want from BlackBerry.
    08-29-13 09:23 AM
    They did sell the full touch torch and curve, the reality is that's not what people want from BlackBerry.
    I tried to use a full touch Torch. The device/screen was to small and making it impossible to type on the virtual keyboard (BBOS was never touch optimized anyway, it was a cobbled on afterthought) unless I turned it into landscape, and I would assume the all touch Curve was the same miserable experience, and probably over priced too. That is the more likely reason those devices didn't sell. The Z10 in contrast has a awesome keyboard that I can use either one or two handed and BB10 was designed for all touch use from the ground up. Far superior experience than I ever had with any of my BBOS device and with unlimited data plan and HSPA+ and LTE coverage I don't have any issues. When I went to Germany last month for business I popped in a non BIS SIM from there and still had all my e-mail and BBM and it worked great.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-29-13 11:29 AM
    OP, know what consumers don't like? When they share photos with their friends and the friend gets a ****ty compressed version.

The friend then asks, "why does your camera suck".

#BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-29-13 11:36 AM
    I tried to use a full touch Torch. The device/screen was to small and making it impossible to type on the virtual keyboard (BBOS was never touch optimized anyway, it was a cobbled on afterthought) unless I turned it into landscape, and I would assume the all touch Curve was the same miserable experience, and probably over priced too. That is the more likely reason those devices didn't sell. The Z10 in contrast has a awesome keyboard that I can use either one or two handed and BB10 was designed for all touch use from the ground up. Far superior experience than I ever had with any of my BBOS device and with unlimited data plan and HSPA+ and LTE coverage I don't have any issues. When I went to Germany last month for business I popped in a non BIS SIM from there and still had all my e-mail and BBM and it worked great.
    And how is the Z10 selling in those markets, or in any market?
    08-29-13 12:14 PM
    And I can't name a single person I know that uses any of them. Actually scratch that, a coworker had Onavo on her iPhone and couldn't use half the stuff she wanted to be able to use so uninstalled it. So there's one person in all the phone I see and tech support a day.

For the VAST MAJORITY it doesn't matter. Period.

You'll be happy to know I did sell a legacy BB curve last night. In a prepaid plan. With no BIS service, it was bought to be used as a text messaging phone. But it is the first legacy I've sold in a dogs age. It was also the last one in our store and there are no plans to bring in any more. Everything non BB10 is EOL.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    That's because every browser app on is has to use the webkit from Apple in their browsers making it not their own app but rather more like a skin over Safari. I know many people on Android use alternate browsers from the stock one browser and Opera is highly used just like Firefox

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 03:53 PM
    If I remember correctly didn't Microsoft state that they are working on data compression for windows phones?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 03:58 PM
    I will tell you a comparison, and will probably show the importance ...

Using my BB9860 I used to use max 30MB per month, that was one of the reasons I decided to get a data plan of 400MB before I had a 3GB data plan really expensive, now with my Z10 I am using about 300MB per month with same usage and would said kipping in mind I need to keep watching my data usage ...

Again some will not, some will ... I do
    08-30-13 10:03 AM
    I will tell you a comparison, and will probably show the importance ...

Using my BB9860 I used to use max 30MB per month, that was one of the reasons I decided to get a data plan of 400MB before I had a 3GB data plan really expensive, now with my Z10 I am using about 300MB per month with same usage and would said kipping in mind I need to keep watching my data usage ...

Again some will not, some will ... I do
    When you drive a racing car, you must expect more fuel consumption than when riding a bicycle...
    your BB9860 never was capable of the same rich content as BB10 can - and it is just part of the evolution..

Instead of using special services to compress data etc- we should instead fight the carriers to lift any data usage to a minimum of 2-3GB/mnth instead... that would for most users be more than sufficient..

The increased data usage is not a BB10 thing... it is for all modern smartphones...

and carriers selling dataplans with less than 1GB/mnth for modern smartphones, - that is a carrier problem.. they are the bandits ...

If you only browse mobile websites, only mobile youtube, only mobile content - the data usage would be less, but that would also remove much of the need for the smartphone...
    08-30-13 10:29 AM
    does anyone know how opera mini compares with the bis browser for data compression? I will be roaming a lot so keeping data usage down will be good. I currently use os6 but may upgrade to a bb 9900 with os 7.1 if that makes a difference.
    10-10-13 05:31 AM
    No, data compression still doesn't matter. I still have unlimited data and use about 2GB a month.
    10-10-13 06:59 AM
    No, data compression still doesn't matter. I still have unlimited data and use about 2GB a month.
    not everyone has unlimited data, and most carriers bill per mb used when roaming, so to dismiss compression as easily as you do falls in line with those that say `ah well I only use 2 apps so we don't need thousands`.

its shortsighted at best.
    10-10-13 07:27 AM
    not everyone has unlimited data, and most carriers bill per mb used when roaming, so to dismiss compression as easily as you do falls in line with those that say `ah well I only use 2 apps so we don't need thousands`.

its shortsighted at best.
    exactly, in uk I get unlimited on bb what ever that means but my sim also has 1gig, but I work on a ship travelling the world thus data compression is very important and I want to compare the opera mini and bb os6/7 web browser for data usage but don't know how. In my view blackberry should aim at the global roaming usage as this niche still hasn't been filled properly.
    10-10-13 07:44 AM
    Can't compress video and JPGs much.
    Try it, you will be disappointed.

Text files and other documents, though, compress well, often down to 10% of their original size.... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-30-16 03:33 AM
    3 year old thread.
    04-30-16 07:02 AM
    Fact that new smartphones suck up data is good for carriers. iPhone created a whole new product for them: "data plans". Plus having compression requires additional infrastructure such as BIS/BES.

Why not save money on infrastructure, let the customer suck up more data, and then charge them for it? It's a win-lose. I bet if bb10 phones had been better at using more data, carriers would have pushed them a little harder. Look at the androids out there, just leaving it turned on in a drawer uses a few hundred megs. You can go through a gig a month easily without even using any apps.

 C L A S S I C
    04-30-16 10:12 AM
    Fact that new smartphones suck up data is good for carriers. iPhone created a whole new product for them: "data plans". Plus having compression requires additional infrastructure such as BIS/BES.

Why not save money on infrastructure, let the customer suck up more data, and then charge them for it? It's a win-lose. I bet if bb10 phones had been better at using more data, carriers would have pushed them a little harder. Look at the androids out there, just leaving it turned on in a drawer uses a few hundred megs. You can go through a gig a month easily without even using any apps.

 C L A S S I C
    My Samsung uses about the same amount of data as my Z10 did. I do use turn by turn navigation more often on Google than I did on BlackBerry maps. People who do not use much data tend to go on prepaid plans .
    Ronindan likes this.
    04-30-16 03:38 PM

 C L A S S I C
    Hyperbole. First data plans were around before iPhone. Data compression through BIS resulted in crummy quality/performance (I can't count how many times I'd seen BB users bemoan the quality of YouTube videos compared to iOS or Android), most especially seen in video. And no, Android doesn't suck up data by nature of being Android. The same apps on Android, BB, iOS, WP, all pull the exact same data to process in their apps. The only differentiator is the quality of media you're streaming. An HD device will pull down more if you're intentionally looking to view in HD, because the resolution is higher. It's not an OS/Platform issue.

In my household, we have a couple androids, a couple iOS devices, and one WP device. On average, none of them consume more than any of the others (and yes, I monitor the monthly billing). And in the recent past there has been a BB device on the plan, and it was no different than the others when it comes to data consumption.

Data consumption is a result of user practicum, based upon what type of data is being consumed. None of the platforms eat more than the others by nature.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-30-16 07:30 PM
44 12