Can I import my contacts on to a BB pearl using a CSV file like you get when you make a backup of your Hotmail/googlemail/outlook contacts?
    04-10-08 08:00 AM
    To import a CSV file into Blackberry:

1. Connect to the BlackBerry Internet Service website and log in using the user's BlackBerry account
    2. Click the Address Book link.
    3. On navigation bar, click Import.
    4. Click Browse.
    5. In the Browse field find where the .CSV file is saved, click OK.
    6. Click ADD.
    04-10-08 08:12 AM
    cheers.

one question.

do that on a PC?

or via the BB?
    04-10-08 08:17 AM
    PC - Right Here:
    BlackBerry Internet Service
    04-10-08 08:20 AM
    cheers.

and then it adds to my BB over the air ?
    04-10-08 08:24 AM
    Yes it does... I haven't done it in quite a while - let me know how it goes.
    04-10-08 08:28 AM
    not got a BB yet, watching a few BB's on Ebay
    04-10-08 08:30 AM
    You can import and export a .csv file through Desktop Manager too. One thing I found is that this is import/export only... it will not synchronize between your BB and the desktop. Once you export the BB to .csv and open it in Excel you can add, correct, delete, etc but make sure you save a copy of the file with a different name before importing. For some reason the import process sucks all the entries out and leaves you with an empty file unless there are differences from the BB side. Otherwise this works fairly smooth. Sure beats pecking out long list on the BB.
    04-10-08 10:28 AM
    The import option is missing from T-Mobile UK BIS site

had to export contacts as a CSV from Googlemail/Hotmail

opened the CSV file with Excel

I then saved it back out as MS DOS CSV

imported to Outlook (full version)

put all the "0"s on the back n the front of the UK numbers.

and then used BB desktop manager to sync with Outlook.
    Last edited by cirian75; 05-19-08 at 11:52 PM.
    04-19-08 05:42 AM
    Could you go into more detail on how to import the CSV file using desktop manager. Nothing that I find instruction wise matches up with the options you can select with Desktop manager.

Thanks!
    05-19-08 04:50 PM
    edited my post to make more sense.
    05-19-08 11:53 PM
    Could you go into more detail on how to import the CSV file using desktop manager. Nothing that I find instruction wise matches up with the options you can select with Desktop manager.

Thanks!
    Using Desktop Manager 4.2:

Click on Synchronize and then Configuration.
    Configure Sync which brings up Device <PIN #> Configuration.
    Click on Address Book and then Choose, from Available Applications choose ASCII Importer/Exporter.
    Under Operation choose either Import or Export, depending on which direction you want to move your data. I learned to check the Refresh button and your sending file will remain intact.
    Browse to the file you want to import or name a file for export and click OK twice.
    Now you can click on the Synchronize tab ent then Synchronize Now.
    You have to make sure you've gone into your Contacts, options on your BB and set wireless sync to Off first.
    05-20-08 09:03 AM
    i cant get the importing to work. is there a special format that the csv file needs to be in, in order for it to be recognized by the sync importer/exporter tool. Everytime I try to import from the csv file into the BB it says all files were skipped and it doesnt tell me why. I have a feeling the fields arent matched up. So for the BB its First Name and then in the csv file its Name. So they dont match and I tried to get them to match but it wouldnt work.
    05-22-08 10:46 AM
    Here's a sample .xls file. This is the direct export from Outlook 2003. I use the CSV (comma separated values) DOS format. Works every time. If I mess with the column headings and such to try and "clean it up" then things don't go well. I can't add a .xls file here so I zipped it. Hope this helps.
    05-22-08 12:37 PM
    I used the Desktop manager to upload the csv formatted file to the device. I figured out that the column headers in the csv file need to match the corresponding entries in your blackberry otherwise the synch engine will ignore those columns.

Thanks for the tips.
    06-05-08 10:10 PM
    my att bberry internet wite does not have the 'address book' link.

i'm trying to get my google contacts. i've exported these to .csv file. i've then imported them to outlook. however, i've got gazillions of conacts on outlook and only want my google contacts.

so i thought i could simply import the google exported .csv file and import it directly.

i'm back to the dilemma that there is no 'address book' link.

any suggestions before i pull the last hair off my head!
    06-06-08 02:01 AM
    I'm surprised that Desktop Manager doesn't have a Contact Manager built in.
    So you can do your edits with a desktop application rather then with a CSV file.

When I had my Palm 3 way back in the day, even that had a PC version of the contact manager that I just edited and then synched. Was pretty sweet.

Is there anything like this for the BB?
    01-08-09 01:43 PM
    Hi. My desktop manager does not have an import from CSV. I'm using a Blackberry bold and version 4.6 of the desktop manager. Any thoughts? I'm tiring off such a simple task!
    01-31-09 07:51 AM
    Open DM then go to synchronize. Then go to configuration and select synchronization. Configure synchronization for my desktop program.Then select address book and asciiimpoter/exporter. Set up the options from there as you desire.
    01-31-09 08:09 AM
    hey if you could message me back asap, i have a question about getting my contacts onto my blackberry; lmk thanks!
    11-01-09 11:25 AM
    I'll tell ya, those wizards at RIM must think we can read friggin' minds! Thanks, RIM folks for making us do your technical doc writing for you!!

Critical that you import using the following data on the 1st line of your csv file.

First Name Middle Name Last Name Title Company Name Work Phone Work Phone 2 Home Phone Home Phone 2 Other Phone Fax Mobile Phone PIN Pager Email Address 1 Email Address 2 Email Address 3 Address1 Address2 Address3 City State/Prov Zip/Postal Code Country Home Address1 Home Address2 Home Address3 Home City Home State/Prov Home Zip/Postal Code Home Country Notes Interactive Handheld 1-way Pager Salutation Web Address Direct Connect Categories Birthday Anniversary

Note, SPECIFICALLY, the Email Address # field. It is NOT Internet Address#. NOTE SPACES!!!

Also, you DO NOT need to import with single or double quotes. Saving a .csv file right out of Excel worked.

Watch for special character quotes that Word uses. Standard DOS text worked best for me.

Jeez!

John Lillywhite
    11-17-09 01:38 PM
    Where do I log into the Blackberry website? It's a maze in there.
    If I import the csv file will it wipe out my existing 400 contacts?
    12-08-09 02:12 PM
    I'm a customer at T-Mobile and I have the csv file from all my contacts... today is a brand new day, transferring to Sprint and getting a blackberry tour for the 1st time... I've had experiences with the importing and exporting stuff... but one question... even though I'm no longer with T-Mobile, I still can import my contacts to Sprint Blackberry Tour with the csv file, correct? Just wanted to know. Thanks.
    12-21-09 11:49 PM
    I'm a customer at T-Mobile and I have the csv file from all my contacts... today is a brand new day, transferring to Sprint and getting a blackberry tour for the 1st time... I've had experiences with the importing and exporting stuff... but one question... even though I'm no longer with T-Mobile, I still can import my contacts to Sprint Blackberry Tour with the csv file, correct? Just wanted to know. Thanks.
    yes you can, here what i did, I send all the contacts from my address book from my other phone to myself, then i dl all csv into a folder and put all as attachment to one email to my bb and i open up all attachment and put them all in address book
    12-21-09 11:52 PM
    yes you can, here what i did, I send all the contacts from my address book from my other phone to myself, then i dl all csv into a folder and put all as attachment to one email to my bb and i open up all attachment and put them all in address book
    it'll take forever but I'll try my best to do so... I have every contact on one singular csv file but by doing it so ONLINE would be helpful too, I'd like to know if there's such a thing like that to have my BB automatically recognize my contacts and put them in address book..
    12-21-09 11:55 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD