I think having a proactive approach to one's privacy is paramount, things should NOT happen for action to be taken, again not everyone is tech savvy and if pitfalls could be avoided why put them out there in the first place. Personally I don't do things with 20/20 vision, As its always in hindsight. I try to think a few steps ahead.

Posted via CB10
    Because you're a proactive person. People are different. Some people think the government is evil. Some don't. We shouldn't all do the same thing.

Posted with my Q
    06-28-14 01:03 PM
    Not going anywhere. Sorry if that disappoints some.

People get scammed on computers, email, smartphones, etc. They make mistakes. Some sites, platforms, etc. are safer than others. I find no difficulties using Android or Blackberry for my purposes. I feel bad for people who have been scammed.

Don't take things personal. Everyone can do what they feel is best. If someone disagrees they should not be told to leave, that makes little sense to me.

Posted with my Q
    I don't subscribe to that either, everyone has a right to be heard and respected for their views.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:03 PM
    I don't subscribe to that either, everyone has a right to be heard and respected for their views.

Posted via CB10
    Where did I say otherwise?

Posted with my Q
    06-28-14 01:04 PM
    Because you're a proactive person. People are different. Some people think the government is evil. Some don't. We shouldn't all do the same thing.

Posted with my Q
    Correct. What a boring place the world would be if we were like that.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:05 PM
    Where did I say otherwise?

Posted with my Q
    I'm stating that I am in agreement with you, there is no need for you to go anywhere. I don't subscribe to that thinking.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:07 PM
    I know that Google knows the stakes here.
    (Staying specifically in the medical health realm,) Do they? It seems like a lot of the figuring out happens after legal action. Where was 'Don't be Evil' here?

Google pays $500M fine for Canadian drug ads - Business - CBC News
    06-28-14 01:46 PM
    (Staying specifically in the medical health realm,) Do they? It seems like a lot of the figuring out happens after legal action. Where was 'Don't be Evil' here?

Google pays $500M fine for Canadian drug ads - Business - CBC News
    What's evil with drug ads? There not advertising crack here. Prescriptions are cheaper in Canada which is why so many people want to buy drugs from Canada.

It's illegal, but desperate Americans are buying drugs online from Canada - Orlando Sentinel

Someone at Google either thought it was ok to advertise the prescription drugs because they weren't selling it or someone dropped the ball. Either way it's certainly not evil. Evil would be sell crack, crank, meth and stuff like that.
    06-28-14 02:01 PM
    What's evil with drug ads? There not advertising crack here.
    Well, for one, they were...you know...breaking the law, knowingly (not that ignorance of the law is a valid defense.)

The sale of prescription drugs across the U.S. border is often covered under the Controlled Substances Act, and Google was aware of that fact since as far back as 2003, a release from the U.S. Department of Justice says.
    06-28-14 02:06 PM
    Correct. What a boring place the world would be if we were like that.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more!!!!

Posted with my Q
    06-28-14 02:59 PM
    I'm stating that I am in agreement with you, there is no need for you to go anywhere. I don't subscribe to that thinking.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. I love talking back and forth like this. In the end, no one is 100% correct, because it's subjective.

Posted with my Q
    06-28-14 03:01 PM
    Well, for one, they were...you know...breaking the law, knowingly (not that ignorance of the law is a valid defense.)
    I don't think I need to look up the definition of evil to show that breaking the law isn't evil on the face of it. You can be breaking the law by helping someone.
    06-28-14 03:23 PM
    Also found this interesting in the article.

"After being apprehended in Mexico and returned to the United States, he co-operated with law enforcement and provided officials with precise details of how to get around the system."

How to get around the system..... Makes it sound like this person found away around the way Google stops you from advertising prescription drugs ads. I would be surprised if advertising wasn't an automated process with very little human interaction with anyone at Google checking this. Makes me think of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. They only inspected about 2 % of the food. Flood of food imported, just 2 percent inspected - Health - Food safety | NBC News
    I hope this has changed but tech companies like Google rely on automation to do everything and people can find ways around certain protections. I work somewhere where we constantly do everything manually just wasting time that I and others could be doing something that makes my company money. In the long run they lose more money then they think there saving not paying for the programmers.
    06-28-14 03:42 PM
    I don't think I need to look up the definition of evil to show that breaking the law isn't evil on the face of it. You can be breaking the law by helping someone.
    Yeah, to "help someone..." that's what Google is in it for. They were just trying to help the poor seniors and others get their medications at affordable prices

Also found this interesting in the article.

"After being apprehended in Mexico and returned to the United States, he co-operated with law enforcement and provided officials with precise details of how to get around the system."
    That's a separate incident, and I'm sure Google has real lawyers (not armchair legal opinion-givers about what the law should and should not be) who would have looked at everything before coming to the $500m settlement in the Canadian listings case.

I would be surprised if advertising wasn't an automated process with very little human interaction with anyone at Google checking this.
    Just like their app store, huh?
    06-28-14 06:05 PM
    They're out to get you! Run!

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.

We can have differences of opinion. No one is proving one side or the other.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-28-14 07:26 PM
114 ... 345