Hi,
    I've just learnt that my BB Bold 9000 wasn't registered to my UK Vodafone account when I upgraded some months back. I've just been trying to have the IMEI number registered to the account but Vodafone are saying it's not a valid IMEI number.

The IMEI number begins with 98004
    This is the number under the battery and when I key in *#06#

The handset was from Vodafone UK directly so one can assume it's a legitimate handset.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter and possibly suggest why I have an unrecognised IMEI number as Vodafone won't register my handset nor are willing to assist me in correcting this problem.

Thanks!
    03-30-10 02:36 PM
    Talk to Vodaphone CS -- if you bought it directly from them then they should have a record of what they think the IMEI is.
    03-30-10 02:43 PM
    I've already been on the phone to their CS team only to have them tell me it's not a valid IMEI number and to keep repeating the steps to check it.
    They have no record of it because when I upgraded they made no record of the IMEI number - or they may have tried to but because it's not valid they gave up and just shipped it.
    CS team- fail! Hence I'm on here asking for help.
    03-30-10 02:47 PM
    I've already been on the phone to their CS team only to have them tell me it's not a valid IMEI number and to keep repeating the steps to check it.
    They have no record of it because when I upgraded they made no record of the IMEI number - or they may have tried to but because it's not valid they gave up and just shipped it.
    CS team- fail! Hence I'm on here asking for help.
    If they are happy to confirm they supplied the handset, return it as unusable and request they send another one out. Sounds wierd a network not knowing their IMEI's.

I would return it. Its never been usable so no good to you.
    03-30-10 03:44 PM
    Hi,
    I've just learnt that my BB Bold 9000 wasn't registered to my UK Vodafone account when I upgraded some months back. I've just been trying to have the IMEI number registered to the account but Vodafone are saying it's not a valid IMEI number.

The IMEI number begins with 98004
    This is the number under the battery and when I key in *#06#

The handset was from Vodafone UK directly so one can assume it's a legitimate handset.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter and possibly suggest why I have an unrecognised IMEI number as Vodafone won't register my handset nor are willing to assist me in correcting this problem.

Thanks!
    If it starts 90004100 or 98004200 it could be a valid number and Vodafone's database is broken again. Try feeding your IMEI into this site: TAC Datenbank / TAC database

That doesn't help you if they refuse to accept the device as valid. However, you said it was supplied "a few months ago" as an upgrade and you also have a manufactuirer's label (and maybe box?) which shows the same number. You could take the approach that "It appears that Vodafone supplied a device which is defective or incompatible with their network, and Vodafone has not provided the service for which you paid". They know what comes next... a request to replace it with a new BlackBerry which can be setup on your account, and maybe compensate you for service which was not available.
    03-30-10 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD