... They'd all still have their jobs and reputations intact! It's not Petraeus's sexual indiscretions that disqualify him from the job of CIA Director, it's using non-secure communications for matters that should have been kept very, very private. I wonder if he's also waiting for BB10 to replace his personal non-Blackberry phone...
    hpjrt likes this.
    11-14-12 03:07 PM
    They'd be going through government BES servers, it would have been even easier to track and monitor.
    11-14-12 06:35 PM
    Not if they used personal blackberries.
    11-14-12 07:53 PM
    His reputation would still be intact if he wasn't cheating on his wife. It has nothing to do with the way he communicates. A cheater is a cheater don't matter if they use gmail, bbm, twitter, etc etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-14-12 08:46 PM
    Are you saying that the FBI could not get a warrant to look at your BBMs?
    11-14-12 08:49 PM
    Side note : hopefully, it's not about morality here. It's because this (these) guy(s) and women are involved in a comportment that can lead to blackmail; which is not acceptable for their position.
    11-15-12 04:10 AM
    Side note : hopefully, it's not about morality here. It's because this (these) guy(s) and women are involved in a comportment that can lead to blackmail; which is not acceptable for their position.
    Thanks for clearing the doubt... It doesn't matter about communications in this case, I'm sure he mustve gotten rubbed in his face about it though. Its not acceptable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-15-12 04:23 AM
    ... They'd all still have their jobs and reputations intact! It's not Petraeus's sexual indiscretions that disqualify him from the job of CIA Director, it's using non-secure communications for matters that should have been kept very, very private. I wonder if he's also waiting for BB10 to replace his personal non-Blackberry phone...
    So you're saying most blackberries are insecure because most users have gmail accounts configured in them?

You also are woefully uninformed about the facts of this matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    11-15-12 07:52 AM
    Not so much morality as displaying VERY POOR JUDGEMENT.

AND, I might add, cautionary tale. For the bimbo who precipitated the whole scandal.....make sure your own closet is devoid of skeletons before sending off the hounds to find someone else's. Now SHE is implicated in her own mess and all HER dirty laundry is being aired.

Sorry.

Blackberry.

Now I'm on topic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    jakie55, 00stryder and Toodeurep like this.
    11-15-12 08:05 AM
    So you're saying most blackberries are insecure because most users have gmail accounts configured in them?

You also are woefully uninformed about the facts of this matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I think you got that completely wrong.
    11-15-12 08:07 AM
    It's not Petraeus's sexual indiscretions that disqualify him from the job of CIA Director
    Yes it is, by contract. 'Private' has a very poor signification when you're in charge of a country security (see my side-note above).
    11-15-12 08:12 AM
    It's not sexual indiscretion that makes him vulnerable. It's that the affair makes him susceptible or vulnerable to blackmail attempts.
    And again, brings his judgement into questions.
    To maintain a clearance there are periodic investigations. The higher the clearance, the more stringent the criteria. Adultery is one of the reasons for getting questions raised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    jakie55 likes this.
    11-15-12 08:50 AM
    I think you got that completely wrong.
    Nah, i know what he was trying to say.
    The incriminating messages were in their Gmail accounts. Even if you send Gmail emails from iphone, android or BB, it ends up in the same account and the feds would still have been able to access it.
    He's trying to subtly bash other platforms, but in essence what he's saying is that people should abandon email and stick to BBM for more privacy/security, even on blackberries.

This has nothing to do with Blackberries or BB10 or whatever. No matter the platform, the feds WILL be able to get into your Gmail (and likely yahoo, hotmail etc) if they really need to.
    11-15-12 09:31 AM
    Nah, i know what he was trying to say.
    The incriminating messages were in their Gmail accounts. Even if you send Gmail emails from iphone, android or BB, it ends up in the same account and the feds would still have been able to access it.
    He's trying to subtly bash other platforms, but in essence what he's saying is that people should abandon email and stick to BBM for more privacy/security, even on blackberries.

This has nothing to do with Blackberries or BB10 or whatever. No matter the platform, the feds WILL be able to get into your Gmail (and likely yahoo, hotmail etc) if they really need to.
    Well I don't think that's what he's implying, using free email accounts on any platform is not secure for somebody like him. He could use a hosted email/BIS email and it still wouldn't be secure if he would be emailing a free email account like gmail.

What's secure from prying eyes is BBM and password encrypted Pin 2 Pin but only to a certain extent.

I believe other platforms don't offer you a native secure way of communicating like BB does.

But personally, I think public servants should be forced to use only a few accountable means of communications, we don't want them to be able to hide their crap.
    11-15-12 09:47 AM
    does anyone ever wonder why it's always the men get busted for these "indecent" behaviors? lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-15-12 10:32 AM
    does anyone ever wonder why it's always the men get busted for these "indecent" behaviors? lol

It's not, plenty women too.
    11-15-12 10:41 AM

It's not a matter of sex, it's a matter of power. The majority of people who are in positions of power are men, therefore they are the ones who get called for sexual advances. Logically speaking, a subordinate won't go and force herself on a male superior.
    If there are statistics that prove otherwise, I'd love to see them.
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-15-12 10:54 AM
    Yeah that's it.

Don't let what actually happened stand in the way or anything.

*hands more straws to grasp at*

I AM enjoying Sean Hannity trying to make this into a conspiracy about Benghazi. Oh wait I have to make this about BB. Hannity uses a BB?

Actually that's pretty much a reason not to use a BB if he does. Heh.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-15-12 11:13 AM
    Well I don't think that's what he's implying, using free email accounts on any platform is not secure for somebody like him. He could use a hosted email/BIS email and it still wouldn't be secure if he would be emailing a free email account like gmail.

What's secure from prying eyes is BBM and password encrypted Pin 2 Pin but only to a certain extent.

I believe other platforms don't offer you a native secure way of communicating like BB does.

But personally, I think public servants should be forced to use only a few accountable means of communications, we don't want them to be able to hide their crap.
    So it's clear that using Gmail on any device is unsecure, Blackberry included.

But if he had used a personal BBM and gone Pin 2 Pin over a public network, then would that be more secure? I think that the Feds can still get access to it, but it is much more difficult?

And I thought that if they had used BBM through their own private server (like a small company), then they could be totally encrypted and it would actually start to get quite difficult for the Feds to get anything.

I'm not sure, but I want to ask.

And I am definitely not advocating for this kind of behaviour. On a personal level I'm glad he resigned. Although he already knows he made a big mistake. Regardless, this provides a good way to help me understand Blackberry security better.
    11-15-12 12:33 PM
    Without doing the whole conspiracy theory thing, it IS all about power, and subverting same. Back in the cold war days, the "Dirty Ruskies" oh, and the west as well would find vulnerable people and get them into compromising positions (sometimes literally) to blackmail them to get state secrets. So as QBNKELT stated, its about power, and control. As for the security of emails....Court ordered search warrants allow BBM records to be opened, just like any other documents. Of course, the homeland security warrantless eavesdropping probably has all that information anyways....And I said I wouldn't get into conspiracy theory.
    11-15-12 01:09 PM
    Time to take this thread out back and put it down...
    pantlesspenguin and howarmat like this.
    11-15-12 07:36 PM