This is coming now to Android as well - the Galaxy Note 2 is able to do this (as well as the Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet), and I am sure you will see it or more and more releases from now.
    Well it's not coming to android its coming to Samsung phones only. That and the reviews of the feature in. The 10.1 tablet have been unfavorable to say the least.

That and from looking at the videos of the note multi app stuff it doesn't format to the screen size. It just looks like two apps on top of each other and looks like a bad experience.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-05-12 10:45 AM
    Well it's not coming to android its coming to Samsung phones only. That and the reviews of the feature in. The 10.1 tablet have been unfavorable to say the least.

That and from looking at the videos of the note multi app stuff it doesn't format to the screen size. It just looks like two apps on top of each other and looks like a bad experience.

No. Its implementation is rather awesome to say the least.

& The note 10.1 is actually a fantastic tablet. My boss has one and that thing is by far the best tablet on the market. I'm sorry, you really just have to try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    10-05-12 10:59 AM
    No. Its implementation is rather awesome to say the least.

& The note 10.1 is actually a fantastic tablet. My boss has one and that thing is by far the best tablet on the market. I'm sorry, you really just have to try it out.

Looks better in landscape than portrait mode. Still its only capable on Samsung phones and isn't a part of the the actual OS. Say I want to buy a nexus device or an HTC phone.

Whereas on windows 8 I can do it on any Windows 8 device.

It's a cool feature but to say that its possible on android would be quite disingenuous.

10-05-12 11:21 AM
    Looks better in landscape than portrait mode. Still its only capable on Samsung phones and isn't a part of the the actual OS. Say I want to buy a nexus device or an HTC phone.

Whereas on windows 8 I can do it on any Windows 8 device.

It's a cool feature but to say that its possible on android would be quite disingenuous.

I wasn't implying that its an general android feature at all. I guess I should've put in bold the portion of your comment I was quoting. Of course I know and understand that lol. I was only replying towards your distaste in its implementation by providing a demo.

10-05-12 11:41 AM
    Yeah it does. Glancing up at my notification bar is much easier than performing a finger gesture to see a notification . Pressing a home key is also just as simple as performing any finger gesture.
    With BB10 i guess it would be just as fast with Peek and Flow. Im not sure if you can access the notification bar within a app on Andriod (haven't used it all that much) but i know within BB10 you can get to your Hub with one swipe from anywhere, plus BB10 is designed for one handed use, so i can view my message quickly with one hand, something you cant do on Andriod unless i have really long thumbs! LOL correct my if im wrong please
    10-05-12 11:42 AM
    With BB10 i guess it would be just as fast with Peek and Flow. Im not sure if you can access the notification bar within a app on Andriod (haven't used it all that much) but i know within BB10 you can get to your Hub with one swipe from anywhere, plus BB10 is designed for one handed use, so i can view my message quickly with one hand, something you cant do on Andriod unless i have really long thumbs! LOL correct my if im wrong please
    Your pretty much correct EXCEPT you can actually access the notification bar in any app except most games (I have some games that leave access to it), which is to be expected. But you can definitely get to the notification bar from just about anywhere. Only thing that could be a problem is if you can't reach the top of your phone one handed (which isn't a problem for me, and rarely is for most) depending on your hand size and device. Still, you can see whatever type of notification you have by glancing without moving a finger, which bb10 prohibit.

10-05-12 12:09 PM

That and from looking at the videos of the note multi app stuff it doesn't format to the screen size. It just looks like two apps on top of each other and looks like a bad experience

I would disagree seeing the Android Central demonstration of it today
    10-05-12 12:10 PM
    What if the message has a picture or a file attachment? Does the shade display that? What if there are one message from twitter and one message from linked in, both with pictures, does Android notification pull down allows you view the attachments without opening the the two apps?

If you are a designer, you will understand that things can only patch to work for certain extent, eventually you need redesign the whole architecture to meet the new demands. And then after a few years the new architecture become outdated and you begin to patch the architecture for new demands again and the whole cycle starts again. It's like building a house, you can patch here and there for new functions, but if the layout is limiting what you want in this house, eventually you have to change the layout or buy a new house, unless you want to live in a state that it sort-of does what you want.

I have no doubt that Android can patch things up and make the notification pull down menu more powerfully and more like a HUB, but it's sorta like a HUB. RIM's HUB probably doesn't have all the features there yet, but the "layout" has changed, all the other stuff are easy to add in the following years.

It takes RIM 4-5 years to build the new platform, and the transition is tough. But even counting the mismanagement in, it will take other platforms 2-3 years to catch up. And that's if the other platforms realize this and start working on their next gen right away.

I doesn't think it sounds like a joke any more to say RIM has leap frogged competition at OS level.
    I'm not sure how you can ask such questions and make such claims at the same time. Yes, you can view images in the shade (as of 4.1 Jelly Bean); you can even rate and re-share them as well without going into the app (works for screenshots too so you can upload/share right after taking them). The shade is very flexible and receptive of improvements and for things that don't quite fit, Android now has a second hub (also accessible anywhere in the OS by swiping from the bottom rather than the top) called Google Now (which, too is designed as a platform to build on).

This is coming now to Android as well - the Galaxy Note 2 is able to do this (as well as the Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet), and I am sure you will see it or more and more releases from now.
    That only works for a few apps and only on certain Samsung devices. With Windows 8, every single app in the store is required to have some sort of snap view and it works on every tablet that meets the minimum hardware requirements.
    10-05-12 05:39 PM
    The way I look at this entire "multitasking" 'dicussion' is just one way or another at frowning at RIM for not making BB10 Android-like in its feel and function. To which I really hope that RIM sticks with whatever it has right now, because over the reiterations, it has proven that the OS based on QNX is adaptable enough for some major changes without damaging the core functionalities. (look at the PlayBook changes, and it shows that it can do so much on a 'limited' hardware)

I mean all the argument just to disprove RIM's BB10, that Google's Android Jelly Bean can do the same but much better... Probably one forgot that the difference between an Android Jelly Bean UI and UX vs a desktop UI and UX... is just "rearrangement of launchers". and while Android edges closer to the holy grail of placing an entire power-desktop into a form factor of a handphone (irregardless the smartphone, dumbphone or a featurephone of your choice) to which I find it very funny because the fundamental design language for both RIM's BlackBerry and Google's Android have been different, even if it may be just a different intepretation of "a mobile phone with features more than a mobile celullar device".
    10-07-12 06:48 AM
    Your pretty much correct EXCEPT you can actually access the notification bar in any app except most games
    Yeah as i said i wasnt sure about that.

Only thing that could be a problem is if you can't reach the top of your phone one handed (which isn't a problem for me, and rarely is for most) depending on your hand size and device. Still, you can see whatever type of notification you have by glancing without moving a finger, which bb10 prohibit.
    I see my mate use the drop down bar on his s3 with his thumb, i would prefer the peek feature of bb10 and yeah not seeing what message you got is a downer for bb10, i would prefer just seeing what message i got insted of checking all the time
    10-22-12 07:04 AM
    Gotta disagree on this...having 8 open apps that you can switch between in real-time into their current state is far superior in my mind. On iOS and Android, sure you can see basically a list of the apps you've had open, but I don't think the word multi-tasking is even applicable here. When you've been out of the app for any period of time, when you click on the app in the carousel (Android) or app-switching panel thing (iOS), it just opens it as if you launched it from your home screen, losing wherever you were in the app.

BB10 presents a very significant step forward in terms of actual multitasking on a mobile phone. Don't know how anyone who has used Android or iOS could say otherwise. (I'm using a GS3 right now while waiting for BB10).
    10-22-12 09:04 AM
    ...On iOS and Android, sure you can see basically a list of the apps you've had open, but I don't think the word multi-tasking is even applicable here. When you've been out of the app for any period of time, when you click on the app in the carousel (Android) or app-switching panel thing (iOS), it just opens it as if you launched it from your home screen, losing wherever you were in the app.
    100% incorrect and already debunked in this thread and many others. Stop spreading misinformation, it doesn't help anyone.
    10-22-12 10:09 AM
    ... I have no doubt that Android can patch things up and make the notification pull down menu more powerfully and more like a HUB, but it's sorta like a HUB. RIM's HUB probably doesn't have all the features there yet, but the "layout" has changed, all the other stuff are easy to add in the following years.

It takes RIM 4-5 years to build the new platform, and the transition is tough. But even counting the mismanagement in, it will take other platforms 2-3 years to catch up. And that's if the other platforms realize this and start working on their next gen right away.

I doesn't think it sounds like a joke any more to say RIM has leap frogged competition at OS level.
    Rim's problem isn't creating a new architecture, it's that when it finally does replace OS7 with something that fits in the post 2009-world, it then takes forever, if ever, to fill in the blanks that accompany any new OS. And it's those blanks that count because they are what makes a device functional. In the PB, it's not the UI that is holding it back, its the enduring presence of those blanks (apps, certain funcitonalities). So BB10 can't just be the latest whizz-bang OS, it has to come with a full complement of core and near-core apps. If it doesn't, it will fail.
    10-22-12 11:38 AM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD