I'm new to the forum, and must admit I'm enjoying the countless tips and tricks I can find for my new phone.

However, this arguement over apps or lack their of is out of control. It's amazing how both the Classic and Passport are catching bad press/reviews for reasons unrelated to the quality of the devices.

So far the main common issue from the countless reviews Ive read is that neither phone does certain things the same way as Apple or Android. The common main improvement the majority of reviews I read would make is have both phones do things similar to Apple and Android...then they would buy it.

One poster on here put it in a great way, being upset your BlackBerry isn't like your iPhone or Android phone is like moving to Mexico and being upset people don't speak English. Moving to Colombia from Canada, I can add that it is amazing how many people get angry about more people not speaking English, so maybe I shouldn't be ae surprised at the constant bickering as I am

I hope one day BlackBerry can shake this press and get the respect it deserves. I'm excited to get started with my Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-19-15 04:10 PM
    Apps are overrated - most are ones that you can live without. I have a page on my homescreen with lots of shortcuts to mobile websites. They look just like apps...
    01-19-15 04:22 PM
    Apps are overrated - most are ones that you can live without. I have a page on my homescreen with lots of shortcuts to mobile websites. They look just like apps...
    LOL.

Nah... apps ain't overrated. Ask BlackBerry.
    kbz1960, shaleem, MikeX74 and 17 others like this.
    01-19-15 04:40 PM
    Oh good, another apps-aren't-needed thread.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    01-19-15 04:49 PM
    The OP is right on point. People are use to IPhone & Droid. Consequently that's the standard used to judge BlackBerry. I'm over the whole argument. People are going to use what they want.

BlackBerry works for me. I used to try to "enlightened" people on other platforms about BlackBerry but I don't anymore. If they ask questions or show interest I'll show them a few things or talk about features but for the most part I don't pitch BlackBerry.

I don't want my phone to mimic IOS or Droid. I want my device to be unmistakably BlackBerry. Some of the changes in the UI were made just to accommodate users from other platforms (the call screen and the Squircle). I understand the dilemma BlackBerry is in. People resist change. BlackBerry hardware & software is different. People balk, usually saying "it doesn't do this like ___".

Another element not to be ignored is ease of use. Apple phones can be picked up and used easily. No reading or learning required. BlackBerry? Not so much. The learning curve is steep. Sometimes we here forget that. People don't want to "learn" how to use a hand-held device. They want to pick it up and use it easily- without having to think at all.

BlackBerry is not for everyone. It's for the select few. I'm all in.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    01-19-15 05:00 PM
    It all depends on what you expect from the device to do. But for the casual user, BlackBerry is just fine and the android runtime is "nearly" complete.

It's the same on android (the expectations argument) I'll give you an example: I wanted a word editor app that'll allow me to produce a paper that was just a tad complex (it had comments by my supervisor, and I had to edit some stuff in the header) I searched far and wide for an app that could do this seemingly simple task. I tried around 20 office apps including Microsoft Word, which was absolutely childish on android (no options at all. it did show the comments and allowed editing them, but the paper formatting was thrown out of the window)

So point is I was disappointed in the word processing offerings in android and had to go do it on the laptop.

It's all about expectations.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 05:01 PM
    It all depends on what you expect from the device to do. But for the casual user, BlackBerry is just fine and the android runtime is "nearly" complete.

It's the same on android (the expectations argument) I'll give you an example: I wanted a word editor app that'll allow me to produce a paper that was just a tad complex (it had comments by my supervisor, and I had to edit some stuff in the header) I searched far and wide for an app that could do this seemingly simple task. I tried around 20 office apps including Microsoft Word, which was absolutely childish on android (no options at all. it did show the comments and allowed editing them, but the paper formatting was thrown out of the window)

So point is I was disappointed in the word processing offerings in android and had to go do it on the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    Great point. Every platform has shortcomings. It's just a fallacy that BlackBerry has more than IOS, Droid, or Windows phones.

Jrox74 likes this.
    01-19-15 05:06 PM
    Great point. Every platform has shortcomings. It's just a fallacy that BlackBerry has more than IOS, Droid, or Windows phones.

As noted, depends on one's needs. If one wishes to use apps -- like the one you're using to post here -- BB10 is left wanting.

I'm not here to change minds. Plenty of folks don't need the advanced functionality a fully stocked native ecosystem brings, but make NO mistake: BBRY would rather be the go-to option for both sets of people.

The folks in Waterloo aren't stupid.
    j21jam6, shaleem, kirson and 3 others like this.
    01-19-15 05:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. What features were you looking for in the word processor?
    shaleem likes this.
    01-19-15 05:21 PM
    Urmm... no?

One example: if I need to shorten a link and send it in a hurry, I am not going to open my bit.ly account in browser, so on and so forth. I use Brevos for that, the native app doesn't connect to bit.ly (for whatever reason). Although, it doesn't work like it would on an Android device, it does the trick.

It all boils down to needs. You're satisfied with mobile websites in your own context.
    01-19-15 05:28 PM
    As noted, depends on one's needs. If one wishes to use apps -- like the one you're using to post here -- BB10 is left wanting.

I'm not here to change minds. Plenty of folks don't need the advanced functionality a fully stocked native ecosystem brings, but make NO mistake: BBRY would rather be the go-to option for both sets of people.

The folks in Waterloo aren't stupid.
    True

01-19-15 05:41 PM
    So stop talking about them and making a big deal about it?
    shaleem, Chrisy and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    01-19-15 05:42 PM
    You may as well get used to it, there are some people here that that have made literally thousands of posts each on just this one subject. You may wonder why? who knows, it's may be that it's only real go to argument that they have. You may also wonder why, if they don't like BlackBerry why would they spend so much time on a BlackBerry sight? To me that's the real question.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 05:48 PM
    Urmm... no?

One example: if I need to shorten a link and send it in a hurry, I am not going to open my bit.ly account in browser, so on and so forth. I use Brevos for that, the native app doesn't connect to bit.ly (for whatever reason). Although, it doesn't work like it would on an Android device, it does the trick.

It all boils down to needs. You're satisfied with mobile websites in your own context.
    These types of work-a-rounds is both a gift and a curse. We here are accustomed to thinking on our feet. So finding a solution is right up our ally. However, we are the minority. Most people want/need apps to perform task and when they don't/can't find such app they suffer from what do I do now.

BlackBerry is for thinkers.

Umaima_B_Dia and eduzojordan like this.
    01-19-15 05:52 PM
    You may as well get used to it, there are some people here that that have made literally thousands of posts each on just this one subject. You may wonder why, who knows, it's may be that it's only real go to argument that they have. You may also wonder why, if they don't like BlackBerry why would they spend so much time on a BlackBerry sight? To me that's the real question.

Posted via CB10
    Or, it could be that some people really like Blackberry and also like another platform and just think that the hysterical postings of some folks are just plain nonsense. Why would anyone care what anyone else uses, or thinks about their choice of phone (s). Finally, some of us have been members of CrackBerry for many years.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    01-19-15 05:56 PM
    These types of work-a-rounds is both a gift and a curse. We here are accustomed to thinking on our feet. So finding a solution is right up our ally. However, we are the minority. Most people want/need apps to perform task and when they don't/can't find such app they suffer from what do I do now.

Similar is the case with BBM and Whatsapp
    01-19-15 06:00 PM

I see the point you're trying to make, but taking twice as many steps to effect a solution that may work when others can get guaranteed solutions in a fraction of the steps hardly seems like a "thinking" solution.

Thing is, when it comes to technology, I love to tinker. When it comes to productivity though, I want options, and quick access to said options.

Apps are not the be-all of mobile platforms, but I do believe they are the biggest predictors of success in the mobile space. Apple stumbled on the winning formula.

ETA: funnily enough, everything I learned about not being satisfied with stock devices, I learned from using BlackBerry. I remember when BB devices had more apps than everybody outside legacy Palm...
    01-19-15 06:01 PM
    Or, it could be that some people really like Blackberry and also like another platform and just think that the hysterical postings of some folks are just plain nonsense. Why would anyone care what anyone else uses, or thinks about their choice of phone (s). Finally, some of us have been members of CrackBerry for many years.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Having made more than 13,000 posts and using Samsung wile posting, this might seem a little close to home.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Glenn Biddle; 01-19-15 at 06:12 PM.
    01-19-15 06:01 PM
    I see the point you're trying to make, but taking twice as many steps to effect a solution that may work when others can get guaranteed solutions in a fraction of the steps hardly seems like a "thinking" solution.

Thing is, when it comes to technology, I love to tinker. When it comes to productivity though, I want options, and quick access to said options.

Apps are not the be-all of mobile platforms, but I do believe they are the biggest predictors of success in the mobile space. Apple stumbled on the winning formula.

ETA: funnily enough, everything I learned about not being satisfied with stock devices, I learned from using BlackBerry. I remember when BB devices had more apps than everybody outside legacy Palm...
    You seem to be a little off track.

Three years ago I wanted to stop lugging around my laptop. With the advent of remote file access I was able to do that, without an app. That was at the very beginning of BlackBerry 10. Nowadays I can perform most of the back end duties required for my business right from my handheld. That's work.
    In order to make my life easier I found the tools required to perform my duties while not being tethered to a desktop, then a laptop.

Now, for fun and just passing time I'm not a stickler. So two, three steps is not an issue for me. The fun is in finding a solution.

So keep that in mind. For work it's all business. But here most of these threads aren't related to work. People want answers for using BlackBerry devices. Think about it. How many people would come here looking for a solution to a work related problem? Not many. Would you? Have you?
    I didn't. I read around, did some homework and found a solution for my needs.

So if someone wants to use a BlackBerry device but are use to another platform, some task may require more steps.

Last edited by j21jam6; 01-20-15 at 01:41 AM.
    01-19-15 06:29 PM
    You seem to be a little off track.

Three years ago I wanted to stop lugging around my laptop. With the advent of remote file access I was able to do that, without an app. That was at the very beginning of BlackBerry 10. Nowadays I can perform most of the back end duties required for my business right from my handheld. That's work.
    In order to make my life easier I found the tools required to perform my duties while not being tethered to a desktop, then a laptop.

Now, for fun and just passing time I'm not a stickler. So two, three steps is not an issue for me. The fun is in finding a solution.

So keep that in mind. For work it's all business. But here most of these threads aren't related to work. People want answers for using BlackBerry devices. Think about it. How many people would come here looking for a solution to a work related problem? Not many. Would you? Have a you?
    I didn't. I read around, did some homework and found a solution for my needs.

So if someone wants to use a BlackBerry device but are use to another platform, some task may require more steps.

I can't argue with that. As posted earlier folks have different needs.

But I think the underlying point I'm gently noting is that apps pretty much define mobility for a good number of people, and with good reason.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-19-15 06:36 PM
    I can't argue with that. As posted earlier folks have different needs.

But I think the underlying point I'm gently noting is that apps pretty much define mobility for a good number of people, and with good reason.
    I agree

01-19-15 06:47 PM
    Another element not to be ignored is ease of use. Apple phones can be picked up and used easily. No reading or learning required. BlackBerry? Not so much. The learning curve is steep.
    I have exactly opposite experience.
    I've used many different phones before, but I've never used any Blackberry device. I started with old Ericsson in late 90s, changed phone every year or 2, then finally started using android smartphones. Between the Ericsson and the 1st android I've used 12 different phones from different manufacturers.
    Recently I wanted a change so I decided to switch platforms. I borrowed my sister's iPhone 5s for a week - and it just annoyed me. Everything was wrong and often not where/how I'd expect it to be. And I use Mac OS on all my computers. Then I tried Classic and I instantly felt at home. It's now my favorite phone ever, surpassing even my old trusted Motorola V3.
    iPhone is easy to use for the average person, because the average person has used iPhone before.
    eduzojordan likes this.
    01-19-15 07:08 PM
    Having made more than 13,000 posts and using Samsung wile posting, this might seem a little close to home.

Posted via CB10
    Who cares what he is posting with. I'm posting from my win tab. Sometimes I post with my Z30 but I really prefer using my tablet. He also has a Z10 he posts with. So what?
    01-19-15 07:46 PM
    Who cares what he is posting with. I'm posting from my win tab. Sometimes I post with my Z30 but I really prefer using my tablet. He also has a Z10 he posts with. So what?
    It doesn't matter to people who are confident of their personal choices and don't care what others think.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    01-19-15 07:54 PM
    I have exactly opposite experience.
    I've used many different phones before, but I've never used any Blackberry device. I started with old Ericsson in late 90s, changed phone every year or 2, then finally started using android smartphones. Between the Ericsson and the 1st android I've used 12 different phones from different manufacturers.
    Recently I wanted a change so I decided to switch platforms. I borrowed my sister's iPhone 5s for a week - and it just annoyed me. Everything was wrong and often not where/how I'd expect it to be. And I use Mac OS on all my computers. Then I tried Classic and I instantly felt at home. It's now my favorite phone ever, surpassing even my old trusted Motorola V3.
    iPhone is easy to use for the average person, because the average person has used iPhone before.
    That's great to hear. I enjoy reading user cases similar to yours. Thanks for posting. I wish this was the case for most users who switch to the platform.

01-19-15 07:59 PM
149 123 ...