It's insurance fraud if you say you lost it and you are still in possession of it.
    It's insurance fraud if you make a claim for damages and your policy states that it does not cover damages incurred by an unqualified person attempting to make repairs. Qualified in most cases means a licensed and certified professional.
    It's insurance fraud if you are not truthful in disclosing any and all details in an insurance claim.

If you do claim it is lost, presumably the SIM card is also lost, so it can't be used in your new phone.

I hope it all works out for you and you get the replacement phone you want.

Best of luck to you.
    03-22-09 12:49 PM
    Thanks alleycat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 12:51 PM
    It's insurance fraud if you say you lost it and you are still in possession of it.
    It's insurance fraud if you make a claim for damages and your policy states that it does not cover damages incurred by an unqualified person attempting to make repairs. Qualified in most cases means a licensed and certified professional.
    It's insurance fraud if you are not truthful in disclosing any and all details in an insurance claim.

If you do claim it is lost, presumably the SIM card is also lost, so it can't be used in your new phone.

I hope it all works out for you and you get the replacement phone you want.

Best of luck to you.
    Okay, I really like how you said that nicely. And I'm not being sarcastic. Someone finally pointing out what's wrong in a kind way was helpful. I will still make my claim, and Sprint BBs don't use SIMs anyways, and thank you for wising me luck.

03-22-09 01:07 PM
    Miley,

Make SURE you take better care of the next BB. You seem to be passionate about BBs and hopefully this will be a valuable lesson for you. Good luck!
    03-22-09 01:10 PM
    Miley,

Make SURE you take better care of the next BB. You seem to be passionate about BBs and hopefully this will be a valuable lesson for you. Good luck!
    I am very obbsessive about appearance of phones and what not. I actually have OCD, and I will take MUCH better care of the next one. This has been a lesson learned. Have a good day!

03-22-09 01:13 PM
    Yeah, this is insurance fraud. You shouldn't have taken it apart in the first place. Had you walked in and said, "Some dumbass put their gearbag down on my phone." And filed an insurance claim for that, you would have avoided all this mess. Trying to get it replaced now because you used super glue too close to clear plastic, always a big no-no: the chemical fumes alone will cloud the plastic, and claiming it as the phone's defect IS FRAUD. IF you are caught, there could be a variety of consequences.

But you'll do what you want to do, kind of sucks cause you had a reasonable, legit, legal claim to start with, and you yourself made the situation worse by ignorantly trying to fix something you knew nothing about. Now, I agreed Asurion shouldn't replace it, but they may very well do so, really it all depends on how lucky you get that the CSR you deal with is lazy and stupid. Not to say all CSR's are lazy and stupid though, the ones I deal with at my local store are great and always take care of me.

Keep in mind also that your insurance claim isn't a 50 and forget it thing, there's a limit to them, and consequences to those limits. Your insurance may cost more, and if you keep breaking your phones, eventually Asurion may not agree to insure you anymore. And that's nothing that your misinformation, lying, deception or enabling mom (Yes, your mom is an enabler, she's allowing your bad behavior and lack of accountability and responsibilty to happen.) can do anything about.

But I digress, it's your phone, your money, your family, your mom and your life. So it's your decision. I hope the insurance fraud goes well for you, but seriously, next time, just take it in for replacement when it gets legitimately broken the first time.

03-22-09 01:20 PM
    I am very obbsessive about appearance of phones and what not. I actually have OCD, and I will take MUCH better care of the next one. This has been a lesson learned. Have a good day!

As an Insurance agent myself I would very much recommend honesty in the case of your claim. Listen, the insurance company gets hundreds and hundreds of claims a day...the amount they grant far our weighs the amount they don't. Somone setting their bag on your screen and cracking it IS COVERED by your policy. Send the phone back to them and let them hash it out. 90% chance they will send you a new phone no questions asked....they are more concerned about whether or not they can salvage your phone and sell the extra parts to pad their loss by giving you a new one.

Worst case scenerio sell the broken phone on ebay and get a new 8330 for 200$ on ebay.

Either way always remember honesty is always the best route.....but when your going to lie and commit fraud don't post it on a website that has thousands of users :P!

GL with your adventure and remember......its not the BB fault!

03-22-09 01:21 PM
    As an Insurance agent myself I would very much recommend honesty in the case of your claim. Listen, the insurance company gets hundreds and hundreds of claims a day...the amount they grant far our weighs the amount they don't. Somone setting their bag on your screen and cracking it IS COVERED by your policy. Send the phone back to them and let them hash it out. 90% chance they will send you a new phone no questions asked....they are more concerned about whether or not they can salvage your phone and sell the extra parts to pad their loss by giving you a new one.

Worst case scenerio sell the broken phone on ebay and get a new 8330 for 200$ on ebay.

Either way always remember honesty is always the best route.....but when your going to lie and commit fraud don't post it on a website that has thousands of users :P!

GL with your adventure and remember......its not the BB fault!

So what would you ultimately recommend telling the insurance company?

03-22-09 01:25 PM
    So what would you ultimately recommend telling the insurance company?

Somone set their bag on my phone and cracked the screen....I tried to repair it but the crack was to bad and the repairs didn't work.

I THINK your saving grace is going to be the fact that the initial problem was the crack that led to everything else....in insurance we often look at what started the chain of events and that is the initialy problem. I.E. I don't care flood coverage on my home but the wind blows my windows in and the rain floods my home....because the initial cause was the windows being blown in the rain from the outside flooding the home will be covered.

Be honest with them....and if you want PM me and Ill give them a call FOR you and talk to them and see what I can get out of them lol.

03-22-09 01:32 PM
    I'm 90% sure your particular case is covered.
    03-22-09 01:33 PM
    Somone set their bag on my phone and cracked the screen....I tried to repair it but the crack was to bad and the repairs didn't work.

I THINK your saving grace is going to be the fact that the initial problem was the crack that led to everything else....in insurance we often look at what started the chain of events and that is the initialy problem. I.E. I don't care flood coverage on my home but the wind blows my windows in and the rain floods my home....because the initial cause was the windows being blown in the rain from the outside flooding the home will be covered.

Be honest with them....and if you want PM me and Ill give them a call FOR you and talk to them and see what I can get out of them lol.

You are being so, so helpful. Right now I am out shopping with my family, but when I get home ill PM you. Thabk you a ton

03-22-09 01:34 PM
    You are being so, so helpful. Right now I am out shopping with my family, but when I get home ill PM you. Thabk you a ton

Thats not a problem. Im actualy in my office right now and will be for atleast about 6 hours.

It can happen to you: 60 million phones are lost, stolen or damaged each year
    � Without insurance, the average cost of replacing your phone is $300!
    � Our coverage protects you from phone loss, theft and damage (even water damage)� We offer fast, easy replacement with overnight shipping to any address you choose
    � International replacement options available

Insurance doesn't work like a warranty....you damaged your property...you tried to fix it....in the end your were negligent and negligents is what we insure against. Just because you tried to fix the phone doesn't mean its not covered still. Its not a warranty its insurance lol. In the end you just need the right rep on the phone and a bit of honesty and you will be fine!

03-22-09 01:40 PM
    Thats not a problem. Im actualy in my office right now and will be for atleast about 6 hours.

It can happen to you: 60 million phones are lost, stolen or damaged each year
    � Without insurance, the average cost of replacing your phone is $300!
    � Our coverage protects you from phone loss, theft and damage (even water damage)� We offer fast, easy replacement with overnight shipping to any address you choose
    � International replacement options available

Insurance doesn't work like a warranty....you damaged your property...you tried to fix it....in the end your were negligent and negligents is what we insure against. Just because you tried to fix the phone doesn't mean its not covered still. Its not a warranty its insurance lol. In the end you just need the right rep on the phone and a bit of honesty and you will be fine!

Ok! Thabks so much. Ill get back to you later

03-22-09 01:43 PM
    Without firing up the morality and legality debate again, if your BB was insured at the time it broke, you should be covered without feeling guilty. All the things that happened after the screen broke, as silly as they may have been, should not affect your coverage status. You are still paying for the insurance, therefore you are still covered.

Insurance fraud is an intentional act, obviously you didn't mean for the phone to break, and you had the best intentions when trying to fix it yourself. It's an accident, that's why we carry insurance. Lesson learned.
    03-22-09 01:56 PM
    Without firing up the morality and legality debate again, if your BB was insured at the time it broke, you should be covered without feeling guilty. All the things that happened after the screen broke, as silly as they may have been, should not affect your coverage status. You are still paying for the insurance, therefore you are still covered.

Insurance fraud is an intentional act, obviously you didn't mean for the phone to break, and you had the best intentions when trying to fix it yourself. It's an accident, that's why we carry insurance. Lesson learned.
    Thank you very much for your positive feedback! And there actually was a big thing on if there was insurance or not. I went to make the claim yesterday, the Asurion lady saif there was no insurance. I called Sprint CS, and the lady advised me NOT to buy a phone at bestbuy, because the person put insurance on the plan, and we payed for it (I've had the phone for about 40 days) the Asurion site says your covered for 60 days after the incident.she said they would put my insurance into affect within 3 days, and all should be fine.

03-22-09 02:01 PM
    For the love of all that is holy, I cannot believe this stupidity is
    still being discussed. Face it kiddo, regardless of the bag being
    placed on your phone it was your attempt at a repair that effed
    it up. Cyanoacrylate (the primary compound in Super Glue) does
    not and never has played well with plastic.

Skip the insurance claim, recognize you made the problem worse
    and then buy another one.
    Lesson learned.

Simple. Or maybe not so much to someone who loves Miley.
    03-22-09 02:01 PM
    Why skip the claim when she can get a new phone threw the insurance without lying?

you pay for the insurance you might as well try using it!

03-22-09 02:12 PM
    Why skip the claim when she can get a new phone threw the insurance without lying?

you pay for the insurance you might as well try using it!

I agree. Make the claim, but disclose everything, honestly.
    If they deny the claim, lesson learned.
    If they give you a new or refurbished phone, great!
    I would advise you to steer clear of fraud though.

Again, best of luck.
    03-22-09 02:32 PM
    I THINK your saving grace is going to be the fact that the initial problem was the crack that led to everything else....in insurance we often look at what started the chain of events and that is the initialy problem.
    You make a very good point. If the original incident (bag causing crack) was covered by insurance, a failed repair might not prevent a claim. If I get a dent on my car it doesn't prevent me making a claim just because I already tried to touch it up and failed.
    03-22-09 02:56 PM
    For the love of all that is holy, I cannot believe this stupidity is
    still being discussed. Face it kiddo, regardless of the bag being
    placed on your phone it was your attempt at a repair that effed
    it up. Cyanoacrylate (the primary compound in Super Glue) does
    not and never has played well with plastic.

Skip the insurance claim, recognize you made the problem worse
    and then buy another one.
    Lesson learned.

Simple. Or maybe not so much to someone who loves Miley.
    VERY eloquently put AG ;-)
    03-22-09 03:13 PM
    If you do an insurance replacement, use the switch device wizard located in DM. It will bring your apps and themes over to your new berry.
    03-22-09 03:35 PM
    You make a very good point. If the original incident (bag causing crack) was covered by insurance, a failed repair might not prevent a claim. If I get a dent on my car it doesn't prevent me making a claim just because I already tried to touch it up and failed.

Bingo......the insurance company wants nothing to do with the broken screen anyway....all they want is the internal parts of the phone so they can put a refurb housing on it and send it on to its next owner....this is exactly why they used to not cover water damage....hard to pad your losses when you cant just reuse the device that was sent into you.

Although, I do agree that this thread has gone on for too long lol I do think the OP will be able to get his phone back threw the insurance so long as he tells them that somone set their bag on his screen and cracked it and he tried to fix it but couldn't....they will say "new phone is on the way....within 30 days (or whatever) please send back your old phone in the prepayed envelope......case closed.

03-22-09 03:59 PM
    Personally I don't care if the thread runs on a bit. We're here to share knowledge and experience, and if ILM needs the support she's welcome to learn here.

Learning is the process of making the same mistake once. If someone else can use our mistakes it helps them learn sooner.
    03-22-09 04:24 PM
    Personally I don't care if the thread runs on a bit. We're here to share knowledge and experience, and if ILM needs the support she's welcome to learn here.

Learning is the process of making the same mistake once. If someone else can use our mistakes it helps them learn sooner.

Ya I am a bit of an insurance nerd lol! So I don't mind giving advise to people (seeings as I am licensed to do so lol)

03-22-09 04:44 PM
    Well, I was wondering what happened? Did you ever file a claim, and what was the result?
    03-23-09 03:53 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD