I posted the comment below in the
    "Is RIMM getting the short end of the stick? Verizon to choose WP7 as third platform"
    thread (page 6) on the "News & Rumors" board, but I think this topic warrants its own thread. Here's what was posted there, in response to a comment in that thread:

RIM has learned some tough and hard lessons. From that, I would have no doubt in my mind that RIM clearly intends and has developed BB10 to be able to :

a) compete on at least equal footing on ease of use, features and performance with ios and android full touchscreen phones
    b) provide the best in class app development framework and environment to ease, encourage, and promote development of BB10 apps.

The rest? we will see.. I dont think anyone can make the statement that BB10 is or is not anything as yet. .. that will only be determined 6 months after launch with sales figures.
    The part I bolded above is where RIM is potentially in trouble with Blackberry 10 OS if Blackberry QNX OS is a guide (i.e. if you assume BB 10 OS will be similar to BB QNX OS). In my not so humble opinion (for this particular issue), RIM needs to make Blackberry 10 OS distinctly superior to what is available on iOS and Android OS, and because they've delayed BB 10 OS so much, it now also needs to be at least a little better than Windows Phone OS to be the primary alternative to iOS and Android OS. If Blackberry 10 OS isn't clearly superior to iOS and Android OS, why would iOS/Android OS users change from either of those 2 platforms, and if Blackberry 10 OS isn't better than Windows Phone OS, why would iOS/Android OS users consider Blackberry 10 OS the primary alternative to iOS and Android OS instead of Windows Phone OS?

Making a superior mobile OS is what Microsoft has tried to do with Windows Phone OS, and IMO, based on my own user experience, I think they've succeeded (and even so, they're having trouble getting WP OS adoption). I also feel, again based on my personal user experience, that 1) Windows Phone OS is superior to Blackberry QNX OS (and I really like BB QNX; it is my second-favorite mobile OS right now) and 2) Blackberry QNX OS, while better than iOS and Android OS IMO, is only incrementally better than those 2 mobile OS (especially iOS), mainly because of the gesture interface. To me, Blackberry QNX OS is like webOS running more smoothly on much better hardware. WebOS itself came out in 2009 and it couldn't stem the tide of iOS or become the primary, alternative next-generation mobile OS at that time (Android OS did), even though webOS (at least IMO) is generally superior to Android OS. We're now in 2012, three years later. An upgraded version of webOS (i.e. what in my eyes Blackberry QNX OS is) isn't enough of an improvement to encourage people to switch from iOS or Android OS, and it isn't as good of an alternative to those 2 aforementioned mobile OS as Windows Phone OS is IMO.

Now of course we don't know what changes/improvements there will be from Blackberry QNX OS to Blackberry 10 OS; there could be significant improvements that make it vastly superior to iOS and Android OS and better than Windows Phone OS. On the other hand, the other mobile OS manufacturers aren't sitting still either; we already know that Windows 8 OS (which mind you won't be on smartphones, though it will share a lot of technical operating abilities with Windows Phone 8 OS) will incorporate gestures, ala Blackberry QNX OS and webOS (and gestures IMO are the greatest strength of both of those latter 2 platforms). Apple made significant operating system improvements between iOS 4 and iOS 5 and probably will make some more improvements with iOS 6. Google, from reports I've read, made a number of significant improvements with Android OS 4.0 over earlier versions. (I don't currently have any Android OS 4.0 devices to confirm/deny this.)

The bottom line is RIM needs to 1) get their act together fast and release Blackberry 10 OS products as soon as possible and 2) ensure Blackberry 10 OS is a spectacular product, clearly superior to next-generation iOS 6 and Android 4.X/5.0 and at worst equal to and preferably superior to Windows Phone 8 OS. If Blackberry QNX OS on the Playbook is a guide, I'm not sure that will be the case (and I say that as someone who really likes Blackberry QNX OS and commented positively on Blackberry QNX OS/Blackberry Playbook in response to various tech site articles about currently available tablets). Obviously we'll see what happens but I'd be surprised if Blackberry 10 OS is the silver bullet that puts RIM back in a strong position in the mobile OS "wars".
    Last edited by CHIP72; 07-24-13 at 06:47 PM.
    04-22-12 08:31 AM
    Oof, that took some real effort to actually read all that and I'm still not sure what it said. All I kept seeing was BlackBerry QNX Windows iOS Android Apple Google.
    sagec and ritesh like this.
    04-22-12 09:09 AM
    RIM is fully aware of its situation. we all know RIM employees visit these forums but I'm sure they are tired of hearing what they need to do over and over again. they are currently working on a better OS for us and we just need to sit tight and see what they launch.
    shaleem likes this.
    04-22-12 09:23 AM
    Oof, that took some real effort to actually read all that and I'm still not sure what it said. All I kept seeing was BlackBerry QNX Windows iOS Android Apple Google.
    ya i skipped most of it LOL. to many brackets and diversions in main topic.
    04-22-12 09:24 AM
    That was an eyefull.

Android.. open source. aka bottom feeder os for manucaturers, but developer playground and fast although often needless growth.
    app store has a healthy selection of apps-- by volume not by quality. Everyone is staying trendy on iOS and Apple releases those incremental hardware updates to keep their hardware up with the latest software releases. Theyre keeping app development stable.

I think when BB10 comes out alot of already popular (but bored) developers are gonna see Cascades UI and realize times are a changingM And that at least may not succeed long term for RIM but it WILL dynamically change the mobile landscape. I'm excited. I got my playbook and 9900 and I'm waiting on the NEXT best thing. All these companies need to diversifying big time if they want to keep accrued customers and not stagnate as contracts end.

Blackberry is hard to sell in stores because of Blackberry brand stagnation. Blackberry is a dino in this game now but TAT may just be teaching Blackberry a new trick or two. Don't count this dog out yet. Dont think of the Playbook as a failure, because theyve gotten it into consumer hands by firesale. This dog stuck in a game that HP didnt even wanna touch. Just wanted IP. Blackberry is FULLY aware of their place and situation.

The question becomes. Can they get it alllll together in a manor the customer will notice over what's already very much together by the competition.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-22-12 09:37 AM
    U said BB10 is your second favorite OS nd win OS is ur first. How while BB10 didnt come out yet?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    shaleem and Zirak like this.
    04-22-12 09:47 AM
    Let me get this straight. Youre claiming that BBOS10 is superior to IOS6 and ICS4.0 and Android 5.0??
    BBOS10 = doesnt exist outside of RIM
    IOS6 = Doesnt exist of outside of Apple
    Android 4.0 = Actually exist and is pretty dang nice
    Android 5.0 = Doesnt exist outside of Google.

You have some pretty good clairvoyance

I cant figure out why people are so incline to degrade anything thats successful as being inferior or bottom feeder or just doesnt work.
    I really believe people here think that IOS and Android are successful because people are stupid and dont know how to work a microwave. But all BB owners are superior rocket scientist chosen to be second coming of all OS's released ever.
    Last edited by tdawg00; 04-22-12 at 11:40 AM.
    shaleem likes this.
    04-22-12 11:35 AM
    How about we all just wait till may 1st and see what RIM and Blackberry have up their sleeves . I have a feeling it may suprise a lot of us..
    04-22-12 11:39 AM
    Cliff Notes please.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-22-12 12:03 PM
    Nobody can be sure.
    But we can hope.
    Adhamalghamdi likes this.
    04-22-12 01:31 PM
    as any new OS I think there will be a dozen of problems in the first year and it could be in the first 2 years, well I think it depend on RIM !

customers wants a great apps specially the popular apps like Skype, instagram, google+, and ...etc - RIM is working hard to bring as many apps as they can I admit it, but still the big and popular apps NOT there and that would be a problem for BlackBerry 10 !
    If I'm using Android or IOS or whatever, why could I move to BlackBerry 10 if they don't have apps that I use everyday like Skype or Tango ..etc ?

I LOVE BlackBerry, and I'm not happy cuz I think they are moving but very slow !

I hope u got it, cuz my english is not good - and sorry for that !
    Last edited by Adhamalghamdi; 04-22-12 at 02:23 PM.
    04-22-12 02:19 PM
    I'm sure when the new bb comes out, the apps will start to come in and the developers will start making the apps for bb10, it's just a matter of time. But all of can do now is just wait and see
    04-22-12 02:58 PM
    My main apprehension with BBOS 10 is not how it compares with iOS and Android. The QNX OS on PB is already a good OS with certain innovations (gestures).

Problem is how will it compare with BBOS 7 in terms of app integration, device management, alert profiles, messaging, email etc. All this is missing from the PB OS 2.0 and the email client, while tolerable for a tablet, is still way behind the email client on BBs. There is a lot of stuff to be done on BBOS10 if it will be at par with OS 7.1 in terms of functionality. Gestures and OS coolness is one thing, being functional to the extent of a long established and developed OS is complete another thing.

Anyhow, if I'm aware of this then so are the good folks at RIM and I'm sure they are working at it. But do they have enough time to make it a complete OS like OS 7.0 in terms for functionality...that is the real question.
    04-22-12 04:22 PM
    U said BB10 is your second favorite OS nd win OS is ur first. How while BB10 didnt come out yet?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    You might want to recheck what you read. I said Blackberry QNX OS (i.e. the OS on the Playbook) was my second-favorite mobile OS.

Cliff Notes please.
    Okay:

1) Blackberry 10 OS, in order to get wide adoption, needs to be clearly superior than iOS and Android OS, otherwise non-Blackberry 7 OS users will have no reason to switch platforms. If people don't switch platforms, RIM's smartphone market share doesn't grow.

2) Blackberry 10 OS, due to the continued delays and continued development of Windows Phone OS, probably also needs to be at least a little better than Windows Phone OS to be considered the primary, viable alternative to iOS and Android OS. Windows Phone OS, in at least some people's opinions (including my own), has a superior user interface compared to iOS and Android OS. (Despite this, Windows Phone OS has struggled to gain user adoption.)

3) Based on what we've seen (or accurately, what I've seen) with Blackberry QNX OS on the Playbook, IMO it isn't enough of an improvement over iOS and Android OS. I say that as someone who likes Blackberry QNX OS; it is my second favorite mobile OS right now (behind Windows Phone OS). If (big if) Blackberry 10 OS is substantially similar to Blackberry QNX and is only a modest improvement over BB QNX, I don't think that bodes well for Blackberry 10 OS adoption or RIM as a company.

4) Even if Blackberry 10 OS contains major improvements over what we've seen in Blackberry QNX OS, is clearly superior to the current versions iOS and Android OS, and is better than the current version of Windows Phone OS, that may not be enough due to continued improvements being made to iOS, Android OS, and Windows Phone OS. At least two of those competing mobile OS (iOS and Windows Phone OS) will probably have major updates later this year.

Many Blackberry fans have stated, in so many words, "wait until Blackberry 10 OS comes out and you'll see RIM/Blackberry bounce back". What I'm saying is that unless RIM puts out a truly superior product with Blackberry 10 OS, it probably won't matter. RIM's delays in releasing Blackberry 10 OS, and the negative publicity that has surrounded RIM over the last 1 to 1 1/2 years, really doesn't help matters.
    Last edited by CHIP72; 04-22-12 at 07:07 PM.
    04-22-12 06:48 PM
    My main apprehension with BBOS 10 is not how it compares with iOS and Android. The QNX OS on PB is already a good OS with certain innovations (gestures).

Problem is how will it compare with BBOS 7 in terms of app integration, device management, alert profiles, messaging, email etc. All this is missing from the PB OS 2.0 and the email client, while tolerable for a tablet, is still way behind the email client on BBs. There is a lot of stuff to be done on BBOS10 if it will be at par with OS 7.1 in terms of functionality. Gestures and OS coolness is one thing, being functional to the extent of a long established and developed OS is complete another thing.

Anyhow, if I'm aware of this then so are the good folks at RIM and I'm sure they are working at it. But do they have enough time to make it a complete OS like OS 7.0 in terms for functionality...that is the real question.
    In my personal opinion, it is the lack of these kinds of features, and especially the lack of Blackberry Enterprise Server integration on the Playbook, that are the biggest reasons for concern and likely are the reasons for the delays in getting Blackberry 10 OS released. I'm not a tech person by any means, but it seems obvious to me that RIM is having a very hard time integrating this functionality from BB 7 OS into BB 10 OS. This is not a good sign for two reasons: 1) the delay in getting BB 10 out is resulting in continued loss in market share for RIM in their core market (handhelds) and 2) the possibility that Blackberry 10 OS won't be the clearly superior product I think it needs to be when BB 10 is finally released. The tech world moves and innovates too quickly for RIM to afford all of their delays in releasing Blackberry 10 OS.
    04-22-12 07:04 PM
    2) Blackberry 10 OS, due to the continued delays and continued development of Windows Phone OS
    Are you saying that BB 10 OS has been continually delayed? Or are you saying that Windows 8 has been continually delayed?
    04-23-12 07:07 AM
    in fact, the release of BB OS10 will not change anything..
    06-05-12 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD