Hello CrackBerry people!

This is my first BlackBerry, and my father decided he wanted one too, so we have the same BlackBerry Curve 8330. He bought them from ebay... I wanted to just buy Boost's BlackBerry so I could get on Facebook, Youtube, what-not while I was away from home on extended (Non-www) trips.

We got them and mine said it was set up with Boost already (a Sprint BB) and it had a number and everything, my dad got his a couple days later and we went to the Boost store and the man told us that you couldn't change Sprint BB phones to Boost, but we told him that mine was already with it.
    Anyway, we got us set up, but said that the account didn't recognize them as BBs and said that we could ONLY have talk and text which is less than what I had with my crappy Clutch 465 or whatever from Boost, which I could google on and what not, but it was very slow and wouldn't let me sign=in to anything.
    He said we MIGHT be able to get the Boost service, but we'd have to wait and see... he said it may be a day or two. It's now about four days later and my dad's phone says that it has the service, but mine didn't get that text yet. My phone doesn't even show BB App World, and his does. But his did before he got the service text.
    So, I'm wondering why I can't get online, then I talk to the guy we sold the phones too, and because I switched over the number to my number, neither of our phones have a browser in it!!! Mine has the Facebook app, but I can't access it because I guess either no browser/ and no BB service.
    I'm just upset because my dad paid 80+ dollars each for these phones, and I would have happily paid Boost 199.-- for my own phone while he kept a general Boost phone that the old guy can use without bugging me ever five minutes of how do this? how do that? where's this again? what's this do?

Then, just when I think it's getting better because his phone has BB service, although browserless, I download the BB Desktop Software because we didn't get a disc, and try to see if I can download a browser I plug it in and it says “There was a problem communicating with the device.”
    So, I don't know what to do, here I am.

I'm sorry that this was kind of long. Thank you very much!

*Both phones are Sprint brand Curve 8330s turned Boost, both do not have browsers.
    Last edited by tompettyrocks; 01-04-11 at 02:54 AM.
    01-04-11 02:51 AM
    Seems Boost may have you by the short hairs here. You bought two phones that are not on their "approved" list of devices and then want them to make them work. Before smart phones and bbs this wasn't such an issue and the carriers would often comply with such requests. Once they let your phones connect via BIS then you become their responsibility for support so I can see why they may not go that route...
    01-04-11 08:17 AM
    Personally i would just cut your losses and run. Go and get a plan with sprint. Unlimited talk text and web for 99 buck a month, then add your dad, for 30 more. This way you wont have to deal with the issues your having..
    01-04-11 08:42 AM
    This is why it pays to do the research BEFORE making the purchase and not after.

Sell them and get the proper devices for your carrier.
    01-04-11 11:30 AM
    Since I can't post links yet...put "MMS fix for sprint blackberry" into your favorite search engine and click the HowardForums link. Browser will work after installing the service books

But, you won't have any BIS-service-dependent programs. I've never used Facebook (ever, and I was in college when it went "mainstream") but I have heard of people using older versions of the program on Boost.

To get AppWorld on the phone, you need to connect it to the computer, have DM running, then go to AW and download it using the computer.
    01-04-11 12:08 PM
    I think this is the link your looking for
    8330 fix for Sprint Service Books
    You can also read thru this thread for the same issue as yours.
    curve 8330 broswer service books
    **Credit goes to "hightack" for the link posted on service books**

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 01-04-11 at 06:01 PM.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-04-11 01:39 PM
    Nice work guys!!!!!
    01-04-11 04:38 PM
    Nice work guys!!!!!
    well....thank you very much!
    01-04-11 06:01 PM
    Well considering the fact that my BBdesktopsoftware says "There was a problem communicating with the device," and the fact that I have no idea what to do with these "browser service books" looks like I'm in it deep.

Basically, I don't really care about texting, sending pictures, or BBM.

All I want, is to get a free app or two (BB doesn't have App World on it) and be able to check up on Yahoo/Youtube/Facebook. That's about it.
    1.) I have no browser currently installed on my BB and I have no idea how to put one on it.
    2.) For some reason, Boost doesn't have me on the $60.00 month data plan, also I need to get browser and fix my phone before I call asking about that whole part.
    3.) No App World
    4.) When I go to BB desktop software and click on Apps, it tells me "There was a problem communicating with the device," and I can't do anything else on the BB Desktop Software because I don't have a media mini SD thing yet.

So, can anyone actually help me? Because I'm blonde and I need everything explained, if there was a live person I could go to in this state, I would go to them to get this fixed, but the only person I know of is a hillbilly Boost mobile man who obviously can't help me.

If anyone would be so kind...
    01-04-11 11:09 PM
    Your browser doesn't work because the service books you need aren't installed. I can't tell you much more but do know that. With proper service books, the browser icon should be there.
    01-05-11 01:10 AM
    Well considering the fact that my BBdesktopsoftware says "There was a problem communicating with the device," and the fact that I have no idea what to do with these "browser service books" looks like I'm in it deep.

Basically, I don't really care about texting, sending pictures, or BBM.

All I want, is to get a free app or two (BB doesn't have App World on it) and be able to check up on Yahoo/Youtube/Facebook. That's about it.
    1.) I have no browser currently installed on my BB and I have no idea how to put one on it.
    2.) For some reason, Boost doesn't have me on the $60.00 month data plan, also I need to get browser and fix my phone before I call asking about that whole part.
    3.) No App World
    4.) When I go to BB desktop software and click on Apps, it tells me "There was a problem communicating with the device," and I can't do anything else on the BB Desktop Software because I don't have a media mini SD thing yet.

So, can anyone actually help me? Because I'm blonde and I need everything explained, if there was a live person I could go to in this state, I would go to them to get this fixed, but the only person I know of is a hillbilly Boost mobile man who obviously can't help me.

If anyone would be so kind...
    So do you actually have Boost service? If you have Boost Mobile service, and the problem is that they don't have you on the $60 BlackBerry plan, than in my mind the solution would be to call Boost and have them add that plan to your account . After reading your posts, I'm honestly kind of confused. Do you have Sprint contract service or do you have Boost service? If you have Sprint contract service, is it a Nextel? Are you trying to use your Sprint service on a Boost Mobile BlackBerry?

Along with everyone else, your problem is that the service books haven't been sent to your device. You need to have active BlackBerry service in order to get the service books on your device. There may be some other work arounds to get a copy of some service books, but the best way to do it is to go through your carrier. Does Boost have a customer service line that you can call, rather than dealing with the redneck Boost man you describe? If they do I would give them a call and deal with them directly.
    01-05-11 08:49 AM
    This is your broblem. If you do not have a data plan, then you will not be able to get the service books sent to your phone by Boost.

If you have a Sprint phone, Boost will not give you a data plan on their service.
    01-05-11 09:48 AM
    Also, Sprint made two different types of 8330. The 8330E and the 8330M. If you were to get a Sprint phone to work on Boost it would be only the 8330E. If you got to the "Options>about" it will display which curve you have. If you have the 8330M you might as will try to resell it.

If your Dads says it has a data plan, try hooking it up to your BlackBerry Desktop Manager and seeing if it will update the device and send the service books.
    01-05-11 09:57 AM
    Exactly. Which is why the OP needs to sell the devices and get the proper devices for the carrier as noted above.
    01-05-11 09:57 AM
    OP, stick to HowardForums. Between the MMS Fix and Sprint BB support threads, there is enough (correct) information and plenty of people who have actually done it before to help you

So do you actually have Boost service? If you have Boost Mobile service, and the problem is that they don't have you on the $60 BlackBerry plan, than in my mind the solution would be to call Boost and have them add that plan to your account . After reading your posts, I'm honestly kind of confused. Do you have Sprint contract service or do you have Boost service? If you have Sprint contract service, is it a Nextel? Are you trying to use your Sprint service on a Boost Mobile BlackBerry?

Along with everyone else, your problem is that the service books haven't been sent to your device. You need to have active BlackBerry service in order to get the service books on your device. There may be some other work arounds to get a copy of some service books, but the best way to do it is to go through your carrier. Does Boost have a customer service line that you can call, rather than dealing with the redneck Boost man you describe? If they do I would give them a call and deal with them directly.
    The $60/mo BB plan is for Boost-branded BBs only. You must have a Boost BB to be on this plan. Sprint phones go on $50 Unlimited.

Also, Sprint phones on Boost are DIY. Calling up Boost for phone issues is a good way to get your ESN removed from their system if you get the wrong CS person or a manager.

This is your broblem. If you do not have a data plan, then you will not be able to get the service books sent to your phone by Boost.

If you have a Sprint phone, Boost will not give you a data plan on their service.
    Nope.

Installing the SBs is done through BDM. Boost can only send their own SBs, which obviously don't have the "fixed" MMS and browser codes.

You will absolutely have data on Boost with a Sprint phone. Data is already included in the $50 plan...so...how can one add data to their unlimited data?
    Also, Sprint made two different types of 8330. The 8330E and the 8330M. If you were to get a Sprint phone to work on Boost it would be only the 8330E. If you got to the "Options>about" it will display which curve you have. If you have the 8330M you might as will try to resell it.

If your Dads says it has a data plan, try hooking it up to your BlackBerry Desktop Manager and seeing if it will update the device and send the service books.
    Nope, again.

I had an 8330m and it worked just fine. In fact, the 8330m is the only 8330 to receive true MMS messages without having a link sent to the phone and then requiring you to go to MediaMail to view the pic/vid.
    Exactly. Which is why the OP needs to sell the devices and get the proper devices for the carrier as noted above.
    A Boost-branded 8330 (even used...even after the 8530 came out) is still like $100 +/- $20 and you have to pay a $10 premium every month for BIS services. I sold my Sprint 8330 for $50...you can get 8330s for $35, even.

Then you're stuck with either the Boost 8330 or 8530, with their low-res screens and Rev-0 data and tiny memory capacity...
    01-05-11 12:05 PM
    Nope, again.

I had an 8330m and it worked just fine. In fact, the 8330m is the only 8330 to receive true MMS messages without having a link sent to the phone and then requiring you to go to MediaMail to view the pic/vid.
    I find this interesting. Because Boost came out with their 8330 loaded with OS5 I assumed they only issued 8330Es. I didn't know they offered an 8330M that can only run OS4.5 or lower.
    01-05-11 03:15 PM
    Well, the actual Sprint phones were m versions--that is, if you got a red, inferno, or happened to receive a titanium phone that was "updated" to the m version.

Can't remember off hand if the Boost-branded phone received the pic or a link for MMS...

I was using 4.5 on my Sprint phone...I think it was 4.5...pretty sure. Still on 4.7 on the Tour so it doesn't dump the service books after a reset From searching, it appears the Boost 8330s came with OS5 in January...don't know how long they were out before that, however...or if they debuted in January on Boost.
    01-05-11 05:18 PM
    Well, the actual Sprint phones were m versions--that is, if you got a red, inferno, or happened to receive a titanium phone that was "updated" to the m version.

Can't remember off hand if the Boost-branded phone received the pic or a link for MMS...

I was using 4.5 on my Sprint phone...I think it was 4.5...pretty sure. Still on 4.7 on the Tour so it doesn't dump the service books after a reset From searching, it appears the Boost 8330s came with OS5 in January...don't know how long they were out before that, however...or if they debuted in January on Boost.
    Boost has been selling the 8330 since last year sometime... I can't remember exactly when they launched them.
    01-05-11 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD