so i have read threads galore... my GPS simply isnt working, i have tried two diff apps... Using Lifeinpocket now, and had googlemaps and both gave me the "no GPS signal" i have 4 bars and YES i have location on

"GPS
    GPS Datat Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location on
    Location aiding: enabled"

Whtas the deal? why does it seem like i need an outside gps device to get gps on my phone?
    06-29-09 05:42 PM
    no fix with battery pulls?
    06-29-09 05:49 PM
    If the battery pull doesn't help...I'm assuming your running the .148 OS. Has the gps ever worked? If not, take it in to verizon and let them look at it. If it used to work, (if it were my phone), I'd reinstall the OS.
    06-29-09 05:53 PM
    yeah, i tried it when i first got it, back with .75, and then kinda forgot about it then just tried again tonight (had .148 loaded for awhile) does auto batt pulls every night...
    06-29-09 06:25 PM
    Just so you know, a softreset/quickpull is not the same as a physical battery pull. RIM actually recommends leaving the battery out for 5 minutes for persistent problems. I'd try that, check the permission as recommended in the post above, and head to verizon if those don't fix it.
    06-29-09 07:25 PM
    One common sense item that hasn't been mentioned yet: make sure you're outside and/or have unobstructed view of the sky, and that you've given the phone a good 3-5 minutes to initially acquire. You'd be surprised how many people are shocked that GPS doesn't work well 3 floors deep in the sub-basement!
    06-29-09 10:54 PM
    One common sense item that hasn't been mentioned yet: make sure you're outside and/or have unobstructed view of the sky, and that you've given the phone a good 3-5 minutes to initially acquire. You'd be surprised how many people are shocked that GPS doesn't work well 3 floors deep in the sub-basement!
    you bring up a good point, after playing with it last night, i was able to get it running correctly, BUT i had been using it in teh basement. BUT it had also started to run while in the basement a short time later.

Please explain, does the GPS signal come off of the phones signal... or is the GPS a diff signal all together. Example, if i am somewhere that the phone does not have service, will i still have gps? My main objective is, i go to western maryland (mountainous area) quite often, and my phone has zero service there, zero. so will i also have zero GPS service also? my TOMTOM gets signal, but no phone... and my TOMTOM only likes to work 8% of the time, hence the BB GPS. </ramble>
    Last edited by yamahamaxdrpms; 06-30-09 at 05:02 AM.
    06-30-09 04:59 AM
    GPS over the Phone line? GPS=Global Positioning SATELLITE. The signal comes from three or more satellites orbitting the Earth for crying out loud. A view of the sky is best. No phone service required except for the map information to update real time. The GPS will give your position but you probably wont have any map information. C'mon, do some reading.
    06-30-09 07:35 AM
    GPS over the Phone line? GPS=Global Positioning SATELLITE. The signal comes from three or more satellites orbitting the Earth for crying out loud. A view of the sky is best. No phone service required except for the map information to update real time. The GPS will give your position but you probably wont have any map information. C'mon, do some reading.
    Never looked into it that much, really the first time i played around with it... never had GPS on the phone, so didnt know if it had anything to do with phones signal... didnt think it was that dumb of a question i have read much dumber questions...
    maybe your just on your period?
    06-30-09 08:32 AM
    I think the term GPS and navigation get mixed up sometimes. VZN uses cell towers to triagulate your location, but they call it a GPS. Google maps uses the GPS on your phone, but requires cell service to download the map. A store bought GPS has the maps loaded, then just pulls your location from the sky and locates that on its internal map.
    06-30-09 09:40 AM
    You need to go outside and make sure you have a clear view of the sky. No trees, or buildings near.
    06-30-09 10:44 AM
    I would have also checked with BB Maps. If that can get you a signal, then it's the software. If BB Maps can't find you, it's the phone.

^^ and what they said, too....
    06-30-09 02:05 PM
    Do i need BB maps installed at all on my phone? I have deleted it, but i can reinstall in DM if needed, i noticed weather bug says its required... which is another PITA... weather bug doesnt show up to date information on my location if i dont have a sat signal?
    06-30-09 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD