Why am I only finding out about this now? I've always thought it made more sense to make Google apps compatible with blackberry instead of trying to play catch up with millions of apps.

Questions

1. Wasn't the "app gap" the biggest hurdle facing blackberry and bb10?
    2. Why are people still talking about an "app gap" when it no longer exists?
    3. Shouldn't blackberry be promoting this new development?
    4. With the app gap being an non-factor why make an android phone?
    5. Wouldn't it have been better to market an android compatible device on BB10 or better yet BB11?

Posted via CB10
    Only here on Crackberry is the app gap the primary reason for BB10 to fail.

In the real world it's only part of the reason.

Main reason is Bad Reputation from BBOS - Blackberry never really made it clear how BB10 was a complete new OS built from the ground up.

Also BB10 requires a learning curve. - I agree that after a few days navigating BB10 is great. Unfortunately, most people only get 10 minutes to try a demo unit and 10 minutes of BB10 from scratch can make the OS seem like a nightmare. Blackberry rolled out BB10 regionally, they should have invested in way more reps to demo units to the public. They left it to their partners to carry out most of their marketing which was just stupid of them.

BB10 was not ready - Doesn't help that when BB10 launched, it was not ready. Stories of daily restarts, sometimes more often then that. OS apparently had a tendency to glitch out. I never had too many issues with the OS glitching out myself, and i probably had a couple of restarts during the whole time i had BB10. I remember the Contacts app being awful. Apparently it has improved but still isnt great. The contacts app was one of the main reasons i left BB10 in the end.

Certain Apps not supported - Noone cares what apps BB10 has, nor do they care how many. There's only a few apps out of Google and Apple's million+ apps that would satisfy a large portion of consumers. Blackberry could not get them. Noone's fault here. Just one of those unfortunate situations.

Blackberry's inflated opinion of themselves. - When BB10 launched, it was in a mid spec phone for the same price region as the top phones of the day. People pointed at Apple and their specs, but Apple had the reputation to back it up. Blackberry had no reputation, and even though there was quite a bit of interest in BB10, they priced a lot of interested people out of trying it. By the time the prices dropped, those same people were no longer willing to try a "failed" device.

Marketing - Superbowl ad. Watch it and weep. The Z10 and Q10 got some ads. The Z30 is a device i feel sorry for. Deserves better then Blackberry ever gave it, dont think it had a single ad. subsequent devices received little if any marketing.

The whole app gap debate only exists now here on Crackberry, Once upon a time it was a thing, but as you may or may not come to realise, some people here live in the past and can not keep up to date. You'll see references to modern Android devices but realise they are talking about Gingerbread OS etc etc.

Anyway the points i made were to consumers as a whole, but there are more points to make about why BB10 failed to hold on to a number of people that did adopt it
    zlatno likes this.
    12-19-15 03:09 AM
    Only here on Crackberry is the app gap the primary reason for BB10 to fail.

In the real world it's only part of the reason.

Main reason is Bad Reputation from BBOS - Blackberry never really made it clear how BB10 was a complete new OS built from the ground up.

Also BB10 requires a learning curve. - I agree that after a few days navigating BB10 is great. Unfortunately, most people only get 10 minutes to try a demo unit and 10 minutes of BB10 from scratch can make the OS seem like a nightmare. Blackberry rolled out BB10 regionally, they should have invested in way more reps to demo units to the public. They left it to their partners to carry out most of their marketing which was just stupid of them.

BB10 was not ready - Doesn't help that when BB10 launched, it was not ready. Stories of daily restarts, sometimes more often then that. OS apparently had a tendency to glitch out. I never had too many issues with the OS glitching out myself, and i probably had a couple of restarts during the whole time i had BB10. I remember the Contacts app being awful. Apparently it has improved but still isnt great. The contacts app was one of the main reasons i left BB10 in the end.

Certain Apps not supported - Noone cares what apps BB10 has, nor do they care how many. There's only a few apps out of Google and Apple's million+ apps that would satisfy a large portion of consumers. Blackberry could not get them. Noone's fault here. Just one of those unfortunate situations.

Blackberry's inflated opinion of themselves. - When BB10 launched, it was in a mid spec phone for the same price region as the top phones of the day. People pointed at Apple and their specs, but Apple had the reputation to back it up. Blackberry had no reputation, and even though there was quite a bit of interest in BB10, they priced a lot of interested people out of trying it. By the time the prices dropped, those same people were no longer willing to try a "failed" device.

Marketing - Superbowl ad. Watch it and weep. The Z10 and Q10 got some ads. The Z30 is a device i feel sorry for. Deserves better then Blackberry ever gave it, dont think it had a single ad. subsequent devices received little if any marketing.

The whole app gap debate only exists now here on Crackberry, Once upon a time it was a thing, but as you may or may not come to realise, some people here live in the past and can not keep up to date. You'll see references to modern Android devices but realise they are talking about Gingerbread OS etc etc.

Anyway the points i made were to consumers as a whole, but there are more points to make about why BB10 failed to hold on to a number of people that did adopt it
    THIS ^^^
    Thank you very much!
    12-19-15 04:13 AM
    The CrackBerry website itself in the Browser is overloaded with ads, scripts and web trackers... that's why it's choppy... one of the worst offending sites in that respect, ironically... ;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Thank you all for these remarks about slow websites! I really dislike...well, basically hate the whole damn Internet these days. So much crap popping up, loading and delaying everything everywhere. Hope advertisers know I hate them and their products...except if it's BB

ოო fяσм му мιgнту ραѕѕρσят ოო
    12-19-15 04:32 AM
    Thank you all for these remarks about slow websites! I really dislike...well, basically hate the whole damn Internet these days. So much crap popping up, loading and delaying everything everywhere. Hope advertisers know I hate them and their products...except if it's BB
    The internet is still an amazing and beautiful place but I feel and share your pain lol. That's why I use advertisement blockers to minimize the 'popping up of crap'
    12-20-15 05:17 AM
    Bb10 is best OS
    12-20-15 05:21 AM
    OK setup complete for my passport SE. First thing I noticed is the keys are a bit softer. Also, the back has a tactile feel to it. I don't know if I prefer this or the smooth feel of the passport. If I had to choose right now I would say the smooth rubbery back of the priv feels the best out of the bunch.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-20-15 at 01:13 PM.
    12-20-15 01:01 PM
    John Chen (Q3 report)
    "So on the BB 10 front, we're on track to release our Version 10.3.3 supporting our NIAD certification for the government in our fiscal Q1. 10.3.4 will follow later in the year. These releases is designed to further demonstrate and differentiate BB 10 as the industry most secure device platform."

Does this mean they will continue to manufacture, sell and support existing bb10 devices? It sounds like they are planning to continue on improving BB10...
    Only for the guys who are willing to pay them the price they ask for.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    12-20-15 01:06 PM
    Only for the guys who are willing to pay them the price they ask for.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    I don't care. As long as it's BB10--or BB11, at that.
    12-21-15 07:40 AM
    Don't you want a video to pause when you are switching to another window?
    not in the least. depends on the video. I watch music, interviews, etc, I need the video to continue playing.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 09:18 AM
    not in the least. depends on the video. I watch music, interviews, etc, I need the video to continue playing.

Posted via CB10
    I can't go over this again, keep reading after that post.
    12-21-15 09:21 AM
    If I had to choose right now I would say the smooth rubbery back of the priv feels the best out of the bunch.

Posted via CB10
    It's called glassweave. The Q10 and Z30 also have it. Lots of people call it carbon-fiber but I think it's actually rubberized fiberglass. Sticks to your hand like glue--I love it! That's one thing I miss from the Z30 going to the Classic.

From a Classic
    12-21-15 10:14 AM
    I've just jotted down some things I prefer about the passport & bb10:

• Holding down the keyboard to get higher case.
    • ,':!?. buttons on the bottom of the screen for easy access.
    • The browsing experience overall including the search bar, tabs, browsing history etc.
    • Keyboard shortcuts...ie bottom, top of page.
    • Swipe gestures for a more seamless experience...ie I can slide something into and out of view without interruption.
    • Apps stay open in the background...ie youtube.
    • I like being able to hit return to send a text. I know I argued against this when using the priv and I stand by that...but with the larger keyboard of the passport I like it.
    • Zooming in and out using the trackpad.
    • The ability to peek at the hub while browsing.

It's a very intuitive, fluid experience. I can understand why going from BB10 to another OS can result in a sense of detachment.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 12-25-15 at 07:11 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-24-15 08:40 AM
    Lol if only more of you would see this.

Posted with my still awesome z30.
    12-24-15 12:47 PM
188 ... 678