Can somebody tell me what's going on? Is blackberry officially done for good? Are they not making phones anymore? Can somebody explain to me what's really going on.

Posted via my white Z10. LG banter- blackberry bold 9900- Z10
    08-12-13 02:16 PM
    Oh the doom and gloom patrol...

They now have a group of top C level people overseeing what they said they were doing way back when Heins was appointed CEO: look for alternatives to make sure the company will have a future.

Nothing new, 'cept we now know who is doing that.

Here is C. Umi's take : http://crackberry.com/quick-take-bla...uncement-today
    08-12-13 02:19 PM
    BlackBerry's going six feet under, you better run, you better take cover

Kidding. We will survive. Enough Governments rely on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 02:21 PM
    All they've done is form a committee to look at the possibility of taking the company private, spinning off certain assets or selling the company outright. It's just at an exploratory stage at this point but even if it was much further along than that BlackBerry isn't going anywhere. They are still in business, still making hardware, still updating software and still developing future products.
    08-12-13 02:22 PM
    Oh the doom and gloom patrol...

They now have a group of top C level people overseeing what they said they were doing way back when Heins was appointed CEO: look for alternatives to make sure the company will have a future.

Nothing new, 'cept we now know who is doing that.

Here is C. Umi's take : http://crackberry.com/quick-take-bla...uncement-today

Are they selling to a new company.

08-12-13 02:22 PM

Who knows...
    08-12-13 02:24 PM
    They are basically stating that the Plan A of getting BB10 to be successful in the market and turning the company around with it on their own, is not working and they are going to Plan B which is hope someone wants to license BB10 (unlikely as they can buy the company if they really want it), or Plan C have someone take the company private so they can perform poorly without the markets knowing it, or Plan D have someone buy them that can invest the money needed to make BB10 successful or Plan FAIL someone buy it for patents and sell it off for pieces an bury BB10.
    webdave, Troy Tiscareno and bekkay like this.
    08-12-13 02:26 PM
    And Prem? Well, you know...
    08-12-13 02:31 PM

What if they are? Who says this is necessarily a bad thing?

And no, nobody announced a sale. Read the press release and chill.
    08-12-13 03:33 PM
    BlackBerry Awarded "Authority to Operate" on U.S. Department of Defense Networks | CrackBerry.com

Can somebody tell me what's going on? Is blackberry officially done for good? Are they not making phones anymore? Can somebody explain to me what's really going on.

08-12-13 03:36 PM
    I'm also confused about today. Not that I don't understand exactly what's happening or the impact/ gravity of the announcements. But I don't agree with the timing of the decision at all. I felt they should have waited since BlackBerry was getting some traction and could perhaps pulled themselves out by their own bootstraps. Usually they are way too slow; this time they acted too fast.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 03:48 PM
    So if some company buys BlackBerry will there be no more BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 03:53 PM
    Today's announcement means nothing really until something is done. It could be something like a sale, it could be a joint venture, it could be a merger, it could be taking them private. Plus any number if other options. What it does not mean is that the company has failed and will shut down. It does not mean your phone will lose support

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 04:07 PM
    So if some company buys BlackBerry will there be no more BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    It depends, but probably. The purchaser would want every cent, so he would either try to fix the brand and get a nice constant revenue stream, or bury the brand, sell the assets for whatever he can, and liquidation comes next.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    08-12-13 04:12 PM
    Thor was arrogant and completely misunderstood the market. He thought the need for the popular apps was overrated and could be handed off to amateurs. He said 'Tablets will be dead in 5 years'. He thought the cool factor was B10 on a bland phone and that buyers would run by the millions to the Q10 'cause of it's little physical keys - with no native apps.

Why in Gawd's name is he still employed??????????
    08-12-13 04:16 PM
    Just got home, read the "news" and opened this board. Do none of you own any stock in any company? This is your typical "we realize we need to do something to satisfy our shareholders, we just aren't sure what" statement. I work for a blue chip company and we have these type of rumors floating around all the time. We sell off parts, we buy others. Frankly while I do own stock. I am sick of the whole thing, which is why I pay a financial advisor to take care of it for me.
    So what happens now? Could go private. Could sell off to another company. Could do a merger. Who knows. Your and my phone will still work tomorrow. That's really all I care about.
    08-12-13 04:17 PM
    Thor was arrogant and completely misunderstood the market. He thought the need for the popular apps was overrated and could be handed off to amateurs. He said 'Tablets will be dead in 5 years'. He thought the cool factor was B10 on a bland phone and that buyers would run by the millions to the Q10 'cause of it's little physical keys - with no native apps.

Why in Gawd's name is he still employed??????????
    If he cared, he would use house money to pay these development companies to make some apps.

Posted via CB10
    ranzabar and nuff_said like this.
    08-12-13 04:18 PM
    It's kinda like renting a house and the landlord says he might sell, only creates uncertainty. Yeah your phone will still work but future updates and support may not be there and first time buyers or upgraders will consider these factors.
    bekkay likes this.
    08-12-13 04:28 PM
    Should I regret buying my Z10

08-12-13 04:42 PM
    No. Why would what happened today affect that?
    08-12-13 04:43 PM

If you like it, then hell no.

If you hate it, then yes.

This changes nothing about the current slew of devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 04:44 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Looking at the stock charts BlackBerry was at $9.22 last week when I checked and are now at $10.72. Seeing this I believe BlackBerry will survive.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 04:46 PM
    . He said 'Tablets will be dead in 5 years'. He thought the cool factor was B10 on a bland phone and that buyers would run by the millions to the Q10 'cause of it's little physical keys - with no native apps.
    GOOD GOD at least quote what Thor said about tablets correctly He said they are dead in 5 years as the form we know it today. ALSO he said that tablets are a very tough market currently. IE . Windows Tablet RX - dead.. ASUS said they won't make another one, Barns&Noble- NOOK tablet - DEAD.. Apple Table sales last quarter DROPPED.. Samsung table sales - UP.

Now onto this news. If they get a partnership then we are good for the future still.. ie 2-5 years. IF they are sold and bought, shares will be paid at a premium. The trick is to pay all share out but if that works out to being more than the cost of selling it for parts then why even buy it in the first place. You would however buy it because BB has in roads to DOD and its security is second to None. If they go private all the more better then we won't have to listen to all this hoopla over how we missed quarterly targets and watch the share price dance up and down.

But guess what.. your phone will still work, it will still be updated for at least 2yrs which is about the length of most contracts.
    wyleybuster likes this.
    08-12-13 04:59 PM
    No. Why would what happened today affect that?
    I know i just don't wanna own a phone from a company that no longer exists.

08-12-13 06:21 PM
    Lol dont worry BB will live and survive. The Z10 is too good. Its getting noticed and people are buying them slowly.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-12-13 06:27 PM
30 12