This is partly a rant, of course

I was disappointed after visiting Future Shop yesterday afternoon; I went to buy a Case Mate for my clumsy hands. I'd been on the website first to make sure they had the model and colour I wanted, but when I got to the store, I didn't see it. An employee asked me if she could help me find anything, and when I explained that I only saw the black version, she just shrugged and said "that's all I have then." and walked away. I kept browsing, and I found a whole stack of the ones I was looking for.

Whatever, I've given wrong info before, stuff happens...except as we were leaving, a BlackBerry rep approached us and wanted to show us the Playbook and spiel. I was unenthused by the basic functions he was showing us, (spreadsheet, video player, Google), and I ended up answering half my boyfriend's questions about it...I even ended up showing the Playbook rep how to do a screenshot using the buttons on the top.

Maybe he was new, I don't know the story behind it, maybe I was just having a bad day and was grumpy...but I'm concerned that a person new to BlackBerry will not get accurate or adequate information if they go to Future Shop to buy their first phone. If this is you, well...you're in the right place. Look around Crackberry for your answers
    04-17-11 08:42 AM
    Minimum wage often means minimum effort.
    04-17-11 09:09 AM
    Maybe I just take my job too seriously, then. I don't care what I'm getting paid, if it's my job to do it, then I want to be the best at it, and never get caught off guard if someone has a question for me about it. (As well as if I know my ****, I'm bound to get promoted! )
    Fatoomah and pantlesspenguin like this.
    04-17-11 09:12 AM
    Yeah, I hate going to future shop. They swarm you asking for help and then like you, I usually end up explaining what I need and how it works. I prefer they just leave me alone.

They're mostly High school and college kids though. I wasn't very useful back then either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 09:12 AM
    Seems to be the accepted norm in my world. No matter where I go, I am never surprised by the industry standard of incompetence.
    Occasionally I am surprised to find those few individuals who really know their stuff. Usually they are young 20 somethings. They still exist, but are far and few between.
    It is sad, but a reality that maybe 1 out of every 10 people know what is expected of their chosen profession.
    Even sadder that knowing how to do your job well, should be something special.

04-17-11 10:04 AM
    You can't hate on a store for bad employees, Aztek is right, and if they don't care to know, they can't help you.

I love my local FS, I've got a TV guy, a comoputer guy, a tech guy, and a friend in portable audio. I can walk right in and speak to them and get the right stuff at a better than listed price. But that's just me, and 10+ years of loyalty to the store.

Maybe you should apply there
    04-17-11 10:12 AM
    I may not hate a store but I can blame them for poor management and training.

No matter what, it is Mgmts job to insure customer satisfaction and have the EEs represent their business in a positive and affective manner.

It is a wide spread problem. Just ask the cashier at McDonalds what comes
    on a newly released sandwhich or a truck sales person what the GVWR of a truck is.

Sad..

Tim
    04-17-11 08:51 PM
    This is partly a rant, of course

I was disappointed after visiting Future Shop yesterday afternoon; I went to buy a Case Mate for my clumsy hands. I'd been on the website first to make sure they had the model and colour I wanted, but when I got to the store, I didn't see it. An employee asked me if she could help me find anything, and when I explained that I only saw the black version, she just shrugged and said "that's all I have then." and walked away. I kept browsing, and I found a whole stack of the ones I was looking for.

Amen sista! you're preaching to the choir. both FS and BB have knobs in their mobile depts. It is rare u can actually find someone who knows something about anything useful! I guess they don't get 'paid' to sell accessories, just gouge peeps on new plans/phones which I am assuming is going to earn them some commission coin.

Here's my rant - I had an FS gift card. A couple of months ago, Best Buy had a 50% off BlackBerry OEM accessories sale weekend. I went to FS and inquired about a leather holster and docking/charging pod for my Torch. The rep never heard of the pod before - so I poked around and found a full stack of them. Took the goods to her and expected no resistance to a price match of their sister store. Noooooo, she had to make a BIG deal about it, then called the 'Manager' over and he made an even bigger stink. He first looked at me and said, "so why don't you go to Best Buy and buy this?". Say what? Now lookie here mofo!...anyways....I was calm and he said he couldn't match the price because it was "below his cost". He counter-offered and with my disgusted-go-eff-yourself-look I told him NO THANKS and walked.

This was at the Mississauga location in Meadowvale on Argentia Drive, in case that helps another unsuspecting customer!
    04-18-11 02:04 PM
    ^ Yikes, that's rough dude. I generally prefer Best Buy over Future Shop, but in this case, Best Buy was out of stock of what I wanted. Best Buy in my opinion isn't as bad a Future Shop because the employees aren't on commission so they stalk you less and are up front about not giving a ****.
    04-18-11 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD