I know there are lots of posts here ******** about RIM not having Skype.
    If you were looking at this from Microsoft's point of view, what reason will they have to release Skype for BB10?
    You might say there is a potential of 80 million Skype user base. Well what if they can steal a good chunk of the 80 million users to switch to their Windows phone. Wouldn't that be more profitable for them and they will sure win the 3rd spot for the phones race. And possibly the tablet race.
    What do you think?
    11-22-12 04:27 PM
    This is an interesting idea... If I were them I would do everything in my power to kill bb10, and no skype app would certainly help. I can't see them gaining much from creating a skype app since bb10 wont have a massive user base for a while...
    11-22-12 04:32 PM
    I agree with the above poster. There's two major reasons I would not jump on developing Skype for the BB10 platform. 1) BB10 has the potential to become a major competitor and may take away from my.WP8 market if more is developed for it and 2) BB10 likely won't hit the ground running, it will take some time to develop a fanbase large enough to become a worthy investment.
    11-22-12 04:58 PM
    That "80 million users to steal" theory doesn't make sense, considering Skype just rolled out a major update for Android.
    Ecm likes this.
    11-22-12 05:18 PM
    If Microsoft was using Skype as a ploy to pull people to Windows Phone, why did they release it on iOS and Android? Also, you may be forgetting that after Q1 2013, Windows Live Messenger will be replaced by Skype, having no Skype client on BB 10 means that they will be turning their backs on users from two of their products.

Microsoft is about services and devices. I do believe they make more money on services than on devices so why alienate a potential 80 million subscribers and counting?

I think that as much as they may want you to use Windows Phone, I think they would prefer for you to use Skype no matter your platform. Logically, they will eventually bring Skype to BB 10, the real question is will it be there at launch or will they delay it?
    BBMINI likes this.
    11-22-12 05:29 PM
    BB10 is getting a cross platform vid chat so i dont see the big push for Microsoft to have any rush to do it. if i was MS i would not give RIM my 'golden egg'

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using CB forum app
    11-22-12 05:31 PM
    Well the whole premise of skype and the reason for its popularity is that it is device agnostic.

Microsoft have usually been open with their software, encouraging use vs denying access, ie, the walled garden approach used by Apple as shown by their excluding google maps and youtube from their offerings.

Every other platform in the world uses skype except RIM. Even Apple, who, using your assertion should be the last OS in the world that Microsoft should support.

RIM have for years been very silent on this subject. Maybe, they are building their own walled garden.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    11-22-12 05:38 PM
    The better question is, what reasons does microsoft have for NOT creating a bb10 app?

As has been mentioned above, exclusivity isn't the reason since its available on ios and android. And i imagine they're making money off of skype through advertising or other service related charges, since the app itself is free (or am i wrong on that count? my only reference is the desktop skype client which is free).
    11-22-12 05:42 PM
    Read Dieter Bohn's article:

First strike: how tech's superpowers could start an ecosystem war | The Verge

He discusses this exact question, but related to "keeping Skype available on Android and iOS". The arguments are the same for BB10, though.

It is looking like Microsoft is building an Android version of Office, which is encouraging. There is such a temptation to cripple (or not even release) your applications so they only work on your own platform. I see it happening with Google and how they are tailoring their services to work best (or only) on Android, and this is a disturbing trend. It makes sense, in some ways. Maybe you force a few people to use your mobile platform. But in the meantime you also alienate all the other people that prefer the competitors platform, but still want to use your services.
    kbz1960, spike12 and CairnsRock like this.
    11-22-12 05:48 PM
    The better question is, what reasons does microsoft have for NOT creating a bb10 app?

As has been mentioned above, exclusivity isn't the reason since its available on ios and android. And i imagine they're making money off of skype through advertising or other service related charges, since the app itself is free (or am i wrong on that count? my only reference is the desktop skype client which is free).
    Well, it's available on iOS and Android, for now. Skype was originally unrelated to any platform, and so they had every reason to go for broad adoption, and no incentive to keep it limited to a particular platform. But now that it's owned by Microsoft, how long will it take before Skype features are extended on WP8 only, and eventually deprecated on other platforms?

This battle of ecosystems is just starting, and the only losers will be consumers.
    11-22-12 05:49 PM
    If Microsoft was using Skype as a ploy to pull people to Windows Phone, why did they release it on iOS and Android? Also, you may be forgetting that after Q1 2013, Windows Live Messenger will be replaced by Skype, having no Skype client on BB 10 means that they will be turning their backs on users from two of their products.

Microsoft is about services and devices. I do believe they make more money on services than on devices so why alienate a potential 80 million subscribers and counting?

I think that as much as they may want you to use Windows Phone, I think they would prefer for you to use Skype no matter your platform. Logically, they will eventually bring Skype to BB 10, the real question is will it be there at launch or will they delay it?
    I think and in my sense of marketing term, Microsoft will bring skype to BB10. But perhaps, they want to see how BB10 market first. There so many big apps developers do wait and see over BB10.

Untill now, BB10 doesn't have a tough and robust document editing also. Microsoft can jump to this opportunity. Skype is just the bonus for BB10. If Microsoft can make their office suite to be like IOS with iWork. Why Microsoft and RIM cannot reach the deal for BB10 with Microsoft Office + Skype?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 06:16 PM
    but then, why does microsoft make skype applications ios and android??

not a sarcastic response.... but surely if they are not creating a skype app for blackberry for the sake of competition, then isn't it the same for ios and android.... in theory microsoft shouldn't be making an application any other platform either???

can anyone shed light on this?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-22-12 06:59 PM
    Some of this has to do with sheer numbers. The Playbook was given an abysmal launch, and has so far sold maybe 2 million units. Not huge.

Compare that with the BB10 phones. Some analysts are projecting sales of upwards of 20 million by the end of next year alone. All of a sudden, there's a much more compelling reason for Microsoft to publish a Skype app. And for many other publishers to climb on board as well (including Netflix).

If BB10 enjoys a successful launch, it will be very difficult to ignore.
    11-22-12 07:05 PM
    I agree unless they are going to discontinue it for every other platform than windows it makes no sense to keep it from 1 platform and this thing about carriers not liking it, well then why is it on all mobile OS's except RIM unless you're on verizon and I can't believe that vzw can keep it exclusive to them on the bb platform.
    11-22-12 07:08 PM
    BB10 is getting a cross platform vid chat
    This is the first time I'm hearing of this (seriously.) Which app are you referring to?
    11-22-12 07:17 PM
    This is the first time I'm hearing of this (seriously.) Which app are you referring to?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...y-10-a-754693/
    raino likes this.
    11-22-12 07:32 PM
    No, I wouldn't. Yes, I would have Skype for iOS and Android. Why ? Simple. They are not going to lure most iOS users, nor (for some strange reason) most Android users. However, if RIMM were to die, iOS doesn't do what I need a handheld device to do (iPad rocks though ), and I wouldn't get caught dead using an Android device (or ANY Google services), therefore, by default, MS would "win" me over as a customer.

By developing a Skype app for iOS and Andriod, at least I would have those people using my product.

Do you really believe because there are 80 million BB users there are 80 million potential BBOS 10 users ? How many of those are in third world countries sporting an old Curve. I believe They need to lure people away from Andriod and WinMo, and go after first time smart phone buyers.
    11-22-12 09:06 PM
    Facebook might be come up with something similar to Skype. if so, it will be in BB10

Facebook Is Launching a Numberless "Social Calling" Service
    convenor and fbf2012 like this.
    11-22-12 09:09 PM
    I agree unless they are going to discontinue it for every other platform than windows it makes no sense to keep it from 1 platform and this thing about carriers not liking it, well then why is it on all mobile OS's except RIM unless you're on verizon and I can't believe that vzw can keep it exclusive to them on the bb platform.
    Conjecture: When the lawyers at Apple and Google drew up contracts with Skype, they made them ironclad to include all future updates, so MS can't pull Skype off those platforms, even if they want to. But with BB they are not locked into anything, so they can use that freedom to play hardball and keep RIM from benefiting from Skype.

I don't know if this is how it works, but it could be.
    fbf2012 likes this.
    11-22-12 09:29 PM
    Conjecture: When the lawyers at Apple and Google drew up contracts with Skype, they made them ironclad to include all future updates, so MS can't pull Skype off those platforms, even if they want to.
    You make an interesting point. First I thought "why would Skype have a contract with Google/Apple? It's a free app...they make it, submit and hope it gets listed." But then I remembered there is money involved in the form of credits, especially if purchased over the mobile device. And if money is being made by the developer, especially a big one, the platform would want a cut from it.

But with BB they are not locked into anything, so they can use that freedom to play hardball and keep RIM from benefiting from Skype.
    I think there had to be some sort of an arrangement between RIM, Skype (before they were bought), and the carriers that got exclusivity (Verizon, Telekomsel, 3 UK, more?) It would be interesting to find out if the terms of the agreement addressed video chat, and if it was specific to phones only (which could be why we have not seen a PB app.)
    11-22-12 09:41 PM
    Conjecture: When the lawyers at Apple and Google drew up contracts with Skype, they made them ironclad to include all future updates, so MS can't pull Skype off those platforms, even if they want to. But with BB they are not locked into anything, so they can use that freedom to play hardball and keep RIM from benefiting from Skype.

I don't know if this is how it works, but it could be.
    I doubt it's as formal as that. Everybody needs to remember that the iOS and Android clients for Skype were both out for years before Microsoft bought Skype, and had become very popular, so pulling them would not only reflect badly on Microsoft, it would cut a lot of users off from the platform and actually make it LESS valuable.

With Blackberry in general, this was never really a consideration. The only Skype BB app was an exclusive to Verizon, and didn't have many users. As I noted above, the Playbook never sold well, so it doesn't surprise me at all that a client never got released for it, either. Again, it looks like BB10 is set to sell in high enough numbers that it's harder for Microsoft to ignore.

The same holds for Kindle, Netflix, and many other apps.
    11-22-12 09:43 PM
    I don't think Microsoft is worried about competition from RIM in the slightest. If there was enough money to be made from making a PlayBook version of Skype for the PlayBook, they would do it. There will be more incentive since BB10 will run on phones as well as tablets. RIM should be trying to make a deal with Microsoft to port Skype over - if nothing else, porting over the Android version should be quite simple.

At any rate, Microsoft wants their software to be used by as many people as possible. Let's leave Skype out of the picture. Microsoft Office is maybe Microsoft's biggest competitive edge. By this logic, Microsoft should release it only on their own tablets, to try to lure users away from iOS and Android. And yet, Microsoft is developing both iOS and Android versions of Office.

If there are enough of us PlayBook users to make it profitable, Microsoft will support that market just as other software makers will.
    Last edited by bdegrande; 11-23-12 at 08:28 AM.
    BBMINI likes this.
    11-22-12 09:52 PM
    Here is something else to consider: Google and Apple have other cross-platform videochat options available (Google already has TWO somewhat branded cross-platform videochat options). Skype is gone? You have ooVoo, Tango, Google+, Gtalk, etc.

So, in some respects, MS/Skype need(s) to provide a solution to the two big boys, or it/they lose(s) the continued chance to tie consumers into its/their own ecosystem.
    11-22-12 09:53 PM
    Who uses Gtalk or google + not many.
    11-22-12 10:53 PM
    Who uses Gtalk or google + not many.
    Few. But they are back-pocket videochat options RIM does not currently have. If MS were to freeze Android or iOS today, there are options for those two; RIM? Not so much.
    11-22-12 11:06 PM
39 12