I downloaded Blackberry Tracker and GoogleMaps. Are these disabled because I didn't pay for the Telenav service on AT&T? GoogleMaps seems to work, but I'm thinking it works only because it is getting my location from a triangular search from cell towers as opposed to truly utilizing the phone's GPS feature. The Blackberry Tracker program says GPS is active, and that it is updating coordinates, but it hasn't updated anything.

Thanks in advance.
    08-18-08 12:43 PM
    yahoo's gps service works on my 8820 and i dont pay for gps
    08-18-08 01:14 PM
    yahoo's gps service works on my 8820 and i dont pay for gps
    I'm thinking that if you're on Yahoo's GPS service, and it is giving you your location with "2300 meters" or so (which is what my GoogleMaps says), it is not really using the phone's GPS features, and is relying on cell tower triangulation to get you that location.

I think the phone company will only turn on your GPS feature if you subscribe to their GPS service like Telenav or such.
    08-18-08 01:24 PM
    No the GPS will NOT be disabled. You can use Google maps, Blackberry maps, etc. even if you don't pay for Tele-Nav
    08-18-08 01:26 PM
    If you're on AT&T, you don't need to pay for TeleNav to use your GPS receiver.

Check the Location Aiding setting for your GPS receiver (Options --> Advanced Options --> GPS). If Location Aiding is set to "Enabled", you'll notice that the GPS satellite locking is faster and more accurate. If Location Aiding is not enabled, then your GPS software may be timing out before the phone's GPS receiver gets a satellite lock.

If you're on Verizon, your GPS receiver won't work without TeleNav. Not so sure about Sprint. . .

Hope that helps!
    Thanks. When I get to the GPS section in the Options setting, it has GPS data source, which only offers an option of NONE, and GPS Services Location, which allows you to choose ON or OFF. I have mine set to ON.
    08-18-08 05:53 PM
    Thanks. When I get to the GPS section in the Options setting, it has GPS data source, which only offers an option of NONE and GPS ]Services Location, which allows you to choose ON or OFF. I have mine set to ON.
    That would be because the 8120 is not a GPS enabled device. The 8110 is.
    The 8120 has Wi-Fi instead.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-18-08 at 06:42 PM.
    08-18-08 06:37 PM
    That would be because the 8120 is not a GPS enabled device. The 8110 is.
    The 8120 has Wi-Fi instead.
    Darn. That's weird. Then why do they even have GPS listing in the options section of the phone, and why do they offer Telenav application icon on the phone if it doesn't work?
    08-18-08 06:52 PM
    Darn. That's weird. Then why do they even have GPS listing in the options section of the phone, and why do they offer Telenav application icon on the phone if it doesn't work?
    are you sure its an 8120?
    08-18-08 07:00 PM
    are you sure its an 8120?
    Yep, it's an 8120 from AT&T. I have wifi.
    08-18-08 07:03 PM
    The icon is standard with the OS. I think the location thing is to help
    find you in case you get lost in the wood, drive down a ravine or some
    such thing (God forbid any of that ever happens)
    08-18-08 07:06 PM
    The icon is standard with the OS. I think the location thing is to help
    find you in case you get lost in the wood, drive down a ravine or some
    such thing (God forbid any of that ever happens)
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Ok, so the GPS doesn't really work on my phone. Oh well.
    08-18-08 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";