My contract is up with my regional provider and I'm looking to move on and get a Blackberry while I'm at it.

I wanted to see what the opinions were out there on the bigger providers.

After my research Sprint seems to be the best for what I need. I'm getting a shared plan with someone else and they're getting a BB too.

I just can't pull the trigger yet as I haven't seen much on what everyone thinks is the best provider.

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinion.
    07-22-08 03:38 PM
    Really, this depends on how much you are willing to spend, what options matter to you on your Blackberry, and the carrier which provides the best coverage in your area.

As far as what options are available on RIM devices per carrier.... For example. Verizon/Sprint's Curves have 96MB of flash memoury as opposed to the normal 64MB of most all other devices. Sprint has disabled MMS capabilities, while Verizon has disabled GPS in an attempt to make you purchase VZNav.

Do some research and compare models/prices/coverage before making a final decision.
    07-22-08 03:42 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

Living in the US... I would probably go with ORange UK and get the Curve 8320!!

O wait, I am being a d*ck...

I would stay with TMo and get the most recent device. Right now, I would get the Curve 8320

Others will say differently... and I suggest you look for the best carrier in your area!! TMo is great value and can have amazing coverage (I have never had one problem!!) But some places have crappy coverage for any carrier... so check that out first!! Device is second after that... all carriers have similar devices now...
    07-22-08 03:43 PM
    I love my BB/T-mobile setup....I would not want to change.
    07-22-08 03:46 PM
    I would stay with AT&T because they have always been good to me.
    07-22-08 03:48 PM
    Well as for coverage, I'm in the Chicagoland area. It's been a while since I've heard anyone complain about their coverage from ATT, Sprint, or Verizon. Although I've heard people say that TMo offers great deals but for their coverage you get what you pay for.

I also don't like it when providers lock up the features of the phone but that seems to be the nature of the beast. Each provider locks something up.

The never ending struggle to make a decision. Thanks for the input.
    07-22-08 03:53 PM
    Sprint. Best prices in the business, awesome coverage. Customer service? Doesn't matter because I have never called CS.
    07-22-08 03:55 PM
    I would have to agree, Sprint. No one can beat the SEP, been worth it to me month after month.
    07-22-08 04:17 PM
    You should consider youself lucky if you have a choice. I have US Cellular and there are no other options in my area. Furthermore, the minutes do not roll over every month either.
    07-22-08 04:24 PM
    I love Sprint. Great Price, great features. If MMS is a big deal, there are several work arounds that you can use to be able to send/recieve pictures and videos.
    07-22-08 04:25 PM
    I also would say Sprint, because where else can you get simply everything for one price. The Simply Everything Plan (SEP) does the trick for me.
    07-22-08 04:30 PM
    Funny, I'm leaving US Cellular.

The MMS thing is kind of annoying, but I'd be interested to read about the work arounds.
    07-22-08 04:31 PM
    Funny, I'm leaving US Cellular.

The MMS thing is kind of annoying, but I'd be interested to read about the work arounds.
    Plenty of posts in the forums. Basically it includes emailing the picture to either the MMS address for the different carriers (requires knowing which carrier your friends are on) or emailing it to your own picture mail account (can't remember the address right now) and then forwarding it from the picture mail mobile page to someone's cell#. Really, for the amount of pictures I send, I could care less...now having unlimited texting, that's what I'm talking about!
    07-22-08 04:35 PM
    Plenty of posts in the forums. Basically it includes emailing the picture to either the MMS address for the different carriers (requires knowing which carrier your friends are on) or emailing it to your own picture mail account (can't remember the address right now) and then forwarding it from the picture mail mobile page to someone's cell#. Really, for the amount of pictures I send, I could care less...now having unlimited texting, that's what I'm talking about!
    Awesome, thanks!
    07-22-08 04:40 PM
    Well I would say sprint, because of sep plans. I believe its cheapest? For unlimited everything. Plus they have red curvs now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 04:50 PM
    Awesome, thanks!
    No problem! Welcome to the CB community!
    07-22-08 05:08 PM
    Anyone who is serious about using his BB as a business tool and who travels a lot is well advised to go with either TMo or AT&T since they are the only GSM carriers in the States. Your phone won't work in Europe if you have Verizon or Sprint, for example.
    07-22-08 06:21 PM
    Verizon will work with a vodafone sim card provided when you get the 8830 unlocked.

Verizon's 3G EVDO network is BLAZING fast and extremely reliable. I've never had any problems with Verizon. I've had Cingular before i had a blackberry, and I didn't like it near as much as I like my current network. Tech support is great, i've only had to call them once. and that was a couple years ago before I got a blackberry.

I honestly think that the GPS being disabled isn't that much of a big deal, because it works great with google maps for some odd reason.

CDMA is much more clearer than any GSM network i've heard.

Don't get me wrong, AT&T and TMo are great networks, but my personal preference is Verizon.
    07-22-08 07:39 PM
    Anyone who is serious about using his BB as a business tool and who travels a lot is well advised to go with either TMo or AT&T since they are the only GSM carriers in the States. Your phone won't work in Europe if you have Verizon or Sprint, for example.
    If you travel a lot in the US, you would be fine with Sprint or Verizon as well. Even with these two, if you go with the 8830, like another poster stated, you can still use them world wide...thus why they are called "world edition"!
    07-22-08 10:15 PM
    I have been a customer with sprint for about 10 years now. I have been extremely satisfied with everything from customer service to prices. The only problem I did have was with signal at our summer home. And they fixed it.

07-23-08 01:48 AM
    I reccomend Sprint as well. My hubby is an airline pilot and he travels a lot. He has never gone anywhere that didn't have great coverage.

Two things bug me about Sprint:
    1. Customer Service can be HORRIBLE
    2. No Sim Card to move when you change phones
    07-23-08 07:11 AM
    I reccomend Sprint as well. My hubby is an airline pilot and he travels a lot. He has never gone anywhere that didn't have great coverage.

Two things bug me about Sprint:
    1. Customer Service can be HORRIBLE
    2. No Sim Card to move when you change phones
    same here. Besides having a husband that is a pilot
    07-23-08 07:47 AM
    T-mobile, I don't think ill ever switch.

07-23-08 07:50 AM
    I will stick with Sprint and the Curve 8330 ... no problems to date !!
    07-23-08 07:58 AM
    I also don't like it when providers lock up the features of the phone but that seems to be the nature of the beast. Each provider locks something up.
    TMobile really does not lock anything down on their devices. From my experience, they are the most "open" carrier available. Once again, it is personal preference... but I am trying to clarify a bit, because there is some misinformation throughout this thread, starting with some of the posts below

Sprint. Best prices in the business
    TMobile's Minutes and Mail plan, FTW Not sure if you have heard of it... but it is the best value out of any plan. 1000 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited texting... $60/month

I also would say Sprint, because where else can you get simply everything for one price. The Simply Everything Plan (SEP) does the trick for me.
    ^^ See above... TMobile Minutes and Mail...

Well I would say sprint, because of sep plans. I believe its cheapest? For unlimited everything. Plus they have red curvs now
    ^^ See above also... TMo Minutes and Mail...

As for the Red Curve... ATT has had one since forever. Just saying...

T-mobile, I don't think ill ever switch.
    Right along the lines I am thinking...

As I stated before, this is all a personal choice and it should be made depending on your personal preference for your carrier. I just wanted to clarify because some of the things I was hearing made sense but did not provide the other side of the story. Honestly, my post probobly does not touch every base either, but I am showing Sprint is not the only alternative... as many people convey above!
    07-23-08 08:14 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD