I'm going to stick to my BB10 guns as long as I can but if it comes down to it and I have to get a win10 phone, I need to know some things. Is there a solid way to transfer my Z10's data onto it? Am I going to lose my **** without the hub? Is there an Android player on Win10 Phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:19 PM
    Windows phone is about the "closedst" closed source thing imaginable, imho...

Jolla, Ubuntu and others offer options, too. Still, the user experience is what might sway more than just a few. :-D

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    09-01-15 10:22 PM
    Is there a solid way to transfer my Z10's data onto it?
    What data? You can sync your PIM info (Contacts/Calendar) with an Outlook.com account and then add that to the Win10 device and get your stuff. Apps are a no go. Files via USB.

Am I going to lose my **** without the hub?
    Alex Bass from BerryFlow mentioned that while Win10 PIM suit is actually quite nice (and I can confirm it is, since I am using it on my laptop), nothing beats the Hub and you will miss it.

Is there an Android player on Win10 Phone?
    No.
    09-01-15 10:24 PM
    I hear ya, but I don't see many Ubuntu phones in the wild I guess my question is after putting on my BB10 life jacket, is the next best thing win10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:27 PM
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:29 PM
    I hear ya, but I don't see many Ubuntu phones in the wild I guess my question is after putting on my BB10 life jacket, is the next best thing win10 phone?
    Back when BBOS7 and TabletOS were all we had, Windows Phone was my plan B. Right now, I think Windows Phone 10 is as viable alternative for someone that does not want to use Android and iOS as any (as if there were many). It's the only one with a powerful enough company behind it though.

So. If you DON'T want Android and you DON'T want iOS, and CAN'T use BB10, go WinPhone10.

If you have nothing against the other two though... Consider iOS and Android (just know they ALSO don't have a HUB. The GTD-feel of BB10 is really unique to BB10. "Peek", "Flow", the invocation framework and the HUB may have looked gimmicky at launch, but you'll miss them).
    09-01-15 10:44 PM
    Of course, WinPhone is yet another marginalized platform with a small userbase and limited number of apps (and missing a number of key ones). That could change with the Win10 rollout and "universal apps" (universal within the Windows Store, at least), but that's hard to say, and if it happens, it could well take several years to do so.

What is certain is that iOS and Android have all the apps and services you'd want, today, and will likely get any new ones almost instantly, while other platforms may never be supported, or may take much longer to become supported.

So, given that you are considering making a big transition, consider asking yourself if you want to move to another platform that is marginalized. But, as I said in another post, some folks are only happy when they are outliers, underdogs, and WAY outside of the mainstream. So be it, but go in with your eyes wide open.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-01-15 10:56 PM
    Windows Phone is another good option, but the app situation is even worse than BlackBerry due to no Android compatibility with apps.

If you have any data in BlackBerry Password Keeper, you might have to lose them.

Other than that, Outlook sync is quite useful for syncing your PIM data across.

You would also have to give up your physical keyboard if you are into that.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 11:00 PM
    From a security perspective, remember that a Windows 10 phone is going to spy on you every bit as effectively as a Droid...I just ordered a ubuntu phone to check out...otherwise it is back to feature phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:56 AM
    From a file transfer perspective, you should be able to transfer pretty much all your standard stuff (emails, contacts, appointments) if they are tied to an email account. Photos, videos, etc. as well aren't an issue as you can put this all on a microSD card if you want and plug it in a Windows Phone as I think most support microSD. You may lose your texts though as I'm not sure what cross-platform backup options exist.

As someone who thought they'd like Windows Phone a lot when it first came out, I was extremely disappointed when I actually got around to trying one (ended up buying one for the GF as she didn't like BB or Android and iOS was just too pricey). Like with Windows 8 and now 10 on the desktop side, things seem to 'look nice' but once you get around to using it, you find it lacks features and functionality, or at least it does for me. About the only feature that I still like is the camera performance on some of the Nokia phones models.

As such, my one recommendation would be to try it out to see if it meets your needs or not.
    09-02-15 07:59 AM
    Win10 has a ton of data-mining software built into it. Microsoft wants to be the next Google.

If privacy is not a big deal for you than why not go Android? You'll have much better app selection.
    09-02-15 08:35 AM
    It is either windows or ios for me. I can't use an Android phone.. I just don't like it. Looks so messy.

Before we've heard that Microsoft has made it easy to protect apps from iOS to Windows. If it can be implemented well, I think Windows Phone might become a very good phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 09:15 AM
    It is either windows or ios for me. I can't use an Android phone.. I just don't like it. Looks so messy.

Before we've heard that Microsoft has made it easy to protect apps from iOS to Windows. If it can be implemented well, I think Windows Phone might become a very good phone.

Posted via CB10
    With respect, you do realize that you can customize Android to have just rows of apps if you'd like. Messiness resolved.

If you want you can even put a launcher on your phone so that it has the windows UI (Metro). That's the beauty of Android. Real customization.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Fidel Mercado; 09-02-15 at 09:56 PM.
    09-02-15 09:31 PM
    No there isn't a 'solid ' way to transfer your data if you mean a straight transfer. Yes you are going to lose your head over the lack of a hub. And you will miss the BlackBerry keyboard every single day.

Transferring data - the best way to get contacts over is to import them into an outlook acct. Fortunately Windows phones also support SD cards so you can easily get your other files over as well.

But the password keeper - one painful record at a time.

I have a Lumia 830 and the camera is stellar. And there are tons of photo apps to play with. The integration between the phone and Onenote and Onedrive is amazing.

I miss the Hub like crazy still and it's been 4 months. I'm getting a sim adapter so I can use my Z10 again. My Lumia may become my camera (yes, it's that good as a camera) .

I'm hoping to pick up a Passport before they switch them all to Android. That should keep me going for a couple of years, and maybe Windows 10 will help improve the windows phone experience for me in the meantime.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 09:59 PM
    With respect, you do realize that you can customize Android to have just rows of apps if you'd like. Messiness resolved.

If you want you can even put a launcher on your phone so that it has the windows UI (Metro). That's the beauty of Android. Real customization.

True! It is for someone who wants to put much work on their device. I have rooted my device, and also put a custom firmware on it. It is very customizable. I haven't used Android since 2012, I think. I do not know how good and how smooth they operate now, but at that time, everything was not so good. I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, which was a premium tablet at that time, but everything feels laggy. After I used iPad, I really feel the difference between the OS, and I find it much better. My brother is a user of Windows Phone, so I know how it looks, and how it feels. It feels and looks (for me, my opinion) better than the Android. Of course I love BB10. If they have apps, it is the best phone OS for me.
    09-03-15 03:31 PM
    I also myself wouldn't mind using a WP10 phone perhaps the fact that I'm a die hard nokia fan.
    09-03-15 08:43 PM
    True! It is for someone who wants to put much work on their device. I have rooted my device, and also put a custom firmware on it. It is very customizable. I haven't used Android since 2012, I think. I do not know how good and how smooth they operate now, but at that time, everything was not so good. I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, which was a premium tablet at that time, but everything feels laggy. After I used iPad, I really feel the difference between the OS, and I find it much better. My brother is a user of Windows Phone, so I know how it looks, and how it feels. It feels and looks (for me, my opinion) better than the Android. Of course I love BB10. If they have apps, it is the best phone OS for me.
    That's fair, win 10 looks pretty interesting. It's Android for me-if you can't tell,lol. Good luck

09-05-15 10:12 PM
    Win10 has a ton of data-mining software built into it. Microsoft wants to be the next Google.

If privacy is not a big deal for you than why not go Android? You'll have much better app selection.
    Yes it's horrible and no way to stop it...........Pffft

Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy | Technology | The Guardian

Windows 10: How to Protect Your Privacy | PCMag.com
    09-05-15 10:40 PM
    Windows 10 sends identifiable data to Microsoft despite privacy settings

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ivacy-settings

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    09-06-15 09:04 AM
    And blackberry doesn't do the same thing. They do.
    dolco likes this.
    09-06-15 09:08 AM
    And blackberry doesn't do the same thing. They do.
    Who do you trust more?

Posted from my Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 via CB10
    09-06-15 09:28 AM
    The difference between Google and Microsoft:

If not BB10 then Win10 Phone?-coklxw_wiaaulns.jpg

09-06-15 09:32 AM
    Who do you trust more?

None of them. Why would I trust any company? They are all out to make a profit.
    09-06-15 09:57 AM
    None of them. Why would I trust any company? They are all out to make a profit.
    I asked who you trust more.

And why assume that companies are not trustworthy on the sole basis that they want to make profit? If they don't make profit, they can't pay their employees or stay in business.

09-06-15 10:06 AM