So, MONTHS after trying Unite on my laptop on my Pearl, and going over my laptop with a fine toothed comb to find all traces of that piece of **** program, I was brave enough a couple of weeks ago to plug in my Curve to the laptop. No red lock appeared. Yay. I thought "Great, now I can use my laptop with the berry again, it must have been because the Curve didn't ever use Unite..." and since then I have attached the Curve several times, no lock on the firewall appeared.

Until tonight.

All of a sudden out of nowhere that piece of **** useless crap program of RIM's enabled my Curve's firewall, so now I am wiping and reinstalling.

I could kill the programmer. I really could.
    08-11-08 01:24 AM
    I must have missed something RB. What is this program and how did you become involved with it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 01:41 AM
    Unite was this wondrous thing RIM created to allow you to remotely access your home computer from your berry as well as remote access your berry should it be lost or stolen. Bell Mobility was the first carrier to release it months ago.

Thing is, it puts an IT policy on your phone and you can't get it off.

There is a 20+ page thread on the ordeal several of us had regarding this useful 'tool' RIM developed - the only 'tool' is the developer.
    08-11-08 01:48 AM
    BBUnite is like a dumbed down version of BES that you can use to make a "home network" of sorts. It gives you many of the BES features on a BIS connection.

From what I read it was not too well accepted.
    08-11-08 01:50 AM
    Ooooo goody. 3rd wipe of the night, and I am using the desktop which is what fixed it last time.

I am so pissed right now.
    08-11-08 01:58 AM
    Finally. 3 wipes and restores later, no more lock.

I cannot begin to articulate how much I dispise BB Unite.
    08-11-08 02:16 AM
    Oh no Reenee, I thought you were good. I'm with you if
    you are looking to form a posse. Even with the people saying
    the new version is better I am NEVER going near that POS.
    08-11-08 02:25 AM
    Yikes. That stinks.
    Glad I never jumped on that bandwagon...

Dm
    08-11-08 08:25 AM
    So I am assuming the newer version doesn't work well.... damn I was going to give it a shot....
    08-11-08 08:30 AM
    Oh no Reenee, I thought you were good. I'm with you if
    you are looking to form a posse. Even with the people saying
    the new version is better I am NEVER going near that POS.

I know, right? Unite was associated with the Pearl's PIN, not the Curve. It has been uninstalled for months. I have been using my Curve for 3 weeks now on my laptop and the firewall never re-enabled...and then all of a sudden out of the blue.

I can't freaking believe it. RIM made that thing to get so embedded in your systems that you would have to reformat your hard-drive to get the stupid thing off.
    08-11-08 01:18 PM
    ..and then all of a sudden out of the blue.

I can't freaking believe it. RIM made that thing to get so embedded in your systems that you would have to reformat your hard-drive to get the stupid thing off.
    Would it unreasonable to go to a restore point (before Unite) on your pc to avoid a possible reformat?
    08-11-08 01:25 PM
    Well if you click the download link on rim's site, the file is not available from rim in the us. It has been down for a few days now. Could that mean another upgrade, hopefully one where you won't have to keep your computer on 24/7? I live the idea of it and don't mind the it policy, but I just can't keep my laptop on all the time. I tried to dl it many times, and never could even connect to the admin site on my computer. Is there a fix for that? The address was something like http//localehost.8800 or something like that.

Last edited by ecooper11; 08-11-08 at 01:42 PM.
    08-11-08 01:36 PM
    I mentioned this in a comment the other day. They really should make it so that if your Unite server goes down your email reverts to running through BIS. That would be more logical!

08-11-08 01:43 PM
    Same with web browsing.

08-11-08 01:48 PM
    Would it unreasonable to go to a restore point (before Unite) on your pc to avoid a possible reformat?
    Tried that. No worky.

08-11-08 07:44 PM
    I do hope they release a better version soon. The file still isn't up, so who knows what might happen.

08-11-08 08:32 PM
    My buddy installed unite on his vzw 8830 and he had all kinds of problems. He installed a new 4.5 and lost his browser and couldnt get it back. He registered his bb on the network, battery pulls, resent service books, still no browser. I'll leave unite alone lol
    08-11-08 08:37 PM
    i had that same problem when unite was first released i deleted everything but never got rid of the red lock but it hasnt interfered with anything so i just ignore it
    08-11-08 11:10 PM
    Reenee, MobileMe is calling... hehe.
    08-11-08 11:21 PM
    I am with you Jayden about MobileMe.
    08-12-08 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD